• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official CBA Thread

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Not so fast my friend. I'd like to get Kevin Kolb but I"m also aware getting rid of Hasselbeck in favor of Whitehurst will result in a season similar to 1992.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Not so fast my friend. I'd like to get Kevin Kolb but I"m also aware getting rid of Hasselbeck in favor of Whitehurst will result in a season similar to 1992.

Who is to say keeping Hass won't result in a similar season? Who is to say Matt even stays healthy for more than 10 games? I never said they should just hand the reigns to Charlie, but getting rid of Matt would not be as catastrophic as you think. He isn't the same player he was 4 years ago. The offense under him last year was ranked 28th in the league. Could that improve with a better line and running game, sure. But Matt is not indispensable like he once was. Like I said, I love him as a player/person and am grateful for everything he has done for this franchise but he is not the same player anymore. If they sign him for a year or two, fine so be it I will be fine with it. But if not, I am also fine with it and think there are better options out there anyways...both short term and long term.

Reaction score
You say "I never said they should just hand the reigns to Charlie", you say "there are better options out there anyways"

Like what? What are the better options? Kolb?? No guarantee we get him, no guarantee the Seahawks even try... Who else?? Who are we going to go after? McNabb?? An aging, fatter, not as mobile anymore, past his prime, benched in favor of Grossman QB?? Is that your better option?? if we don't sign Matt, the chances that we start Whitehurst are better than any other "better" option out there.

If that happens, if Whitehurst starts... I GUARANTEE we will be one of the worst, if not the worst team in the league. Especially with the schedule this year.

Look at the "just the facts ma'am" thread... straight up facts and history. Facts trump opinions... especially stupid ones.

And it's not just the Seahawks who've experienced this, tons of teams have not prepared properly for the transition of QB's, many of whom are still paying for this. Look at teams like San Fran, they've got massive talent on both sides of the ball... still no QB and where the fuck have they been the last couple decades??

No one on here will say Matt can still throw for 4000 yards, 30 TDs and take us to the SB, but ANYONE with an 8th grade education knows that he is our "best REALISTIC option" at having a decent team, and helping the transition to the next QB of the future". That is a FACT.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
You say "I never said they should just hand the reigns to Charlie", you say "there are better options out there anyways"

Like what? What are the better options? Kolb?? No guarantee we get him, no guarantee the Seahawks even try... Who else?? Who are we going to go after? McNabb?? An aging, fatter, not as mobile anymore, past his prime, benched in favor of Grossman QB?? Is that your better option?? if we don't sign Matt, the chances that we start Whitehurst are better than any other "better" option out there.

If that happens, if Whitehurst starts... I GUARANTEE we will be one of the worst, if not the worst team in the league. Especially with the schedule this year.

Look at the "just the facts ma'am" thread... straight up facts and history. Facts trump opinions... especially stupid ones.

And it's not just the Seahawks who've experienced this, tons of teams have not prepared properly for the transition of QB's, many of whom are still paying for this. Look at teams like San Fran, they've got massive talent on both sides of the ball... still no QB and where the fuck have they been the last couple decades??

No one on here will say Matt can still throw for 4000 yards, 30 TDs and take us to the SB, but ANYONE with an 8th grade education knows that he is our "best REALISTIC option" at having a decent team, and helping the transition to the next QB of the future". That is a FACT.
If you want to throw out facts, I can throw out facts of Matt's numbers the last 3 years.

2008: 7 games, 52.2 CMP%, 1216 YDS, 5 TD, 10 INT
2009: 14 games, 60.0 CMP%, 3029 YDS, 17 TD, 17 INT
2010: 14 games, 59.9 CMP%, 3001 YDS, 10 TD, 17 INT

Any of the top FA available or anyone we can trade for like Kolb, Palmer, whoever could have done what he did if not better. Everyone is blinded by the fact that we made the playoffs but fail to look at how Matt played ALL YEAR LONG. Do you really think that the way Matt has played the last 3 seasons...not just last season....is that hard to replace? Maybe you guys are hoping he finds a fountain of youth and becomes a decent QB again, but judging his last 3 years as our starting QB there are a number of QB's that will be available to us that can replicate that type of play and probably for less money then what Hass will want.

Reaction score
I don't give judge Matt on making the playoffs, I judge him on whooping the saints ass in the playoffs! Put those stats up!! Also he fucking played like $$ in chicago but his WRs and TEs decided they would drop like 10+ easy balls (just like in GB 3 years ago in the play offs) and his Defense decided to stay in Seattle and made faggot Cutler and douche bag Olsen look like pro bowlers.

Fuck Carson Palmer, he couldn't do SHIT on a team that was much better talent wise than us... practically identical to the 2009 Bengals that won the AFC north

Kolb, who knows who will land him... and not saying I would mind him, but he's played like 4 or 5 regular season games... who knows what you're gonna get from the guy??

When you have the option to drive a piece of shit 1980 civic that barely runs, or walk.... which one you going take?? Matt or Charlie (walk)?

Reaction score
He didn't play bad against Chicago either. No one could hang on to the damn ball.

I acknowledge Matt hasn't played well, but with the shortened amount of time players have to get ready we want a QB that's comfortable with the WCO and is familiar with our personnel. That means our best option is probably to bring Matt back as a stop gap and draft a QB next year. I've been saying this, sign Matt to a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd, when we draft a QB he can sit behind Matt until he's ready, if he needs more than a full season for that we can pick up that option.

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
The more time Whitehurst can back up Hasselbeck and learn, the better. Matt is our guy and the FO has maintained their desire to sign him. Whitehurst needs time to grow. Palmer is unavailable since he's retired. Kolb is too expensive and unproven. I can't think of anyone else "as good or better" that is available now.

I understand Hasselbeck is probably gone, I've written a bunch that he'd be better off on another team. I just think for the Seahawks, Matt is the best option we have.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't give judge Matt on making the playoffs, I judge him on whooping the saints ass in the playoffs! Put those stats up!! Also he fucking played like $$ in chicago but his WRs and TEs decided they would drop like 10+ easy balls (just like in GB 3 years ago in the play offs) and his Defense decided to stay in Seattle and made faggot Cutler and douche bag Olsen look like pro bowlers.

Fuck Carson Palmer, he couldn't do SHIT on a team that was much better talent wise than us... practically identical to the 2009 Bengals that won the AFC north

Kolb, who knows who will land him... and not saying I would mind him, but he's played like 4 or 5 regular season games... who knows what you're gonna get from the guy??

When you have the option to drive a piece of shit 1980 civic that barely runs, or walk.... which one you going take?? Matt or Charlie (walk)?

I agree Matt is STILL better than CW...but to use your analogy it really comes down to whether you want to pay $20,000 for a piece of shit 1980 civic (Hass wanting $9-10 mil), or pay a better more reasonable price for something similar. If Hass is willing to sign for a more reasonable price (somewhere around $5-6 mil.) I am mfine with bringing him back for a year or two. But to spend somewhere close to $10 million on a 36 year old QB who has not played anywhere close to the standard of someone that should make that much money is just unreasonable.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Well we got the guy Favre went to play for in Minnesota (Bevell), so why not get Favre?

:eek:

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Holt not that it matters but Hasselbeck threw 12 TD's this past year. In Matt's defense he has never had a pro bowl WR in his entire career too. He has no guys who can take a five yard slant and turn it into a 60 yard TD for him. The O-Line was horrible.

If we replace Hasselbeck with Kolb I'd be fine with that. I'm also curious about possibly bringing in Vince Young. The guy is a two time pro bowler in his prime. Laugh now but the guy has great upside much like Vick in 2009.

Reaction score
If you're going to make the argument about the WR talent around the QBs, then look at the receivers Kolb has to work with in Philly. They're stacked with guys that can make explosive plays. Maybe the success he's had in his few starts is a bit of an apparition.

Young maybe has the on field potential, but the off the field stuff makes me skeptical and his leadership abilty is practically non existant which makes me not want him at all.

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
Holt not that it matters but Hasselbeck threw 12 TD's this past year. In Matt's defense he has never had a pro bowl WR in his entire career too. He has no guys who can take a five yard slant and turn it into a 60 yard TD for him. The O-Line was horrible.

If we replace Hasselbeck with Kolb I'd be fine with that. I'm also curious about possibly bringing in Vince Young. The guy is a two time pro bowler in his prime. Laugh now but the guy has great upside much like Vick in 2009.

I can see Kolb and Young as a replacement for Matt, but only because they are younger. I still give Matt a leg up on both for experience and knowledge. I.would also say that Matt played his best at the end of the year. I think that's the best indicator for next season.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Vince Young I think is a good high reward/low risk type of signing. If he fails much like Mike Williams last year he is gone no worries but if he succeeds then we got ourselves a nice QB like the Eagles did with Vick.

Vince Young's career numbers aren't that bad. He's led a team to the playoffs, been to two pro bowls and just turned 28 years old.

2006: QB rating 66.7, 184 of 357 for 2,199 yards. 12 TD's to 13 INT's. 83 rushes for 552 yards(6.7 avg) with 7 TD's
2007: QB rating 71.1, 238 of 382 for 2,546 yards. 9 TD's to 17 INT's. 93 rushes for 395 yards(4.2 avg) with 3 TD's
2008: QB rating 64.5, 22 of 36 for 219 yards. 1 TD to 2 INT's. 8 rushes for 27 yards(3.4 avg)
2009: QB rating 82.8, 152 of 259 for 1,879 yards. 10 TD's to 7 INT's. 55 rushes for 281 yards(5.1 avg) with 2 TD's
2010: QB rating 98.6, 93 of 156 for 1,255 yards. 10 TD's to 3 INT's. 25 rushes for 125 yards(5.0 avg)

Yes Young has had his problems but as you can see on the field the last two years he has been productive. He is a great talent too who can someday be a successful quarterback. He's already been to two probowls and led a team to the playoffs already. I think its definately worth a shot. I'd rather see Young than Whitehurst that is for sure.

Reaction score
He's had the support of a great defense and a running game that has ranged from strong to arguably the best in the league. He never "led" his team to the playoffs, he was more along for the ride.

I don't know if I've ever seen a player get so much credit for doing as little as Young has... I mean the Madden cover in 08 after posting a 71.1 QB rating with 8 more INTs than TDs? And for that reason I disagree that he's low risk... He'll still probably ask for WAY more money than he's worth.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
You obviously didn't see his last two seasons. The guy has amazing ability and will come at a fairly cheap price much like Vick in 2009. Now look at Vick a QB that we'd kill for.

I think Vince Young would be worth the experiment. He probably wouldn't cost much and certainly wouldn't cost any draft picks. If he works out then that is great but if he sucks then he'll be shown the door.

He makes plays with his arm and his legs. He'd bring some excitement and right now today he's better than Hasselbeck. He's definately better than Charlie Whitehurst that is for sure.

Reaction score
I'm not conviced that he would be better than Matt. His past two seasons he's had a defense that's much better than ours, and the most explosive running back in the league. We don't have either, I mean teams pretty much always stack 8 or 9 in the box on Chris Johnson and couple that with them having to play zone against a running QB I don't see how he couldn't succeed. Plus he has no WCO experience. I don't know when the "NFL year" will start, but probably not in time for him to learn a completely different system.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Young has higher upside. I'm not a big fan of QB's with losing records and more picks than TD's by 10 the last three years and getting older which you apparently are.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of QBs who are selfish and more about themselves than they are the team and have all the opportunity they could ever need handed to them on a silver platter.

The Vick and Young situations are very different.

Top Bottom