• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

espn's first mock (with us in it anyways)

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Seattlehawk94;54895 said:
Not riding Hasselbeck to the grave....We do need a QB of the future...But Jakemarcus ain't him.....

People here are saying "Mallett sucks!" then two sentences later calling for Jakemarcus....Mallett has pro potential and has shown flashes...The only flashes Jakemarcus has shown is the he could be the next Scott Frost or Josh OverHypele....He's an glorified option QB with no command of playbooks....Yeah, that's "potential"....People around here (Seattle) hype him up to no end because he played for the Fuskies...If he went to ANY OTHER college people would be saying the same things if not worse that they say about Mallett..

Sometimes I wonder if you have ever seen Jake play. I'm thinking you saw him as a freshman play like two games then type casted him. UW hasn't ran the option in a decade.

He has terrific arm strength, can make that 18 yard out throw better than any quarterback in this draft. He is terrific on roll outs as well. Where he struggles since he has basically only had TWO years worth of coaching(Willingham sucks, and ran wing-T in high school) is seeing the whole field.

You can correct that. You can teach accuracy you can't teach arm strength, size and mobility which he has. I actually think Locker could turn into a Tony Romo or Jay Cutler type. Those guys aren't the greatest but they certaintly aren't horrible.

P.S. Mallett will be a bust he's 6'6" and he will get killed in today's NFL. Like I said mark my words on Mallett.

Reaction score
Dmark, I'm not trying to be a dick, but I just can't understand your logic. How the fuck can you say Kappernick has a higher ceiling? Have you seen the guy play? Have you seen how horrid his throwing motion is? Have you see how he stare down the receiver and "aims" the ball? He's never taken a snap under center his entire career. To say that he has a higher ceiling than Ponder is crazy! And locker has spent 2 years under a pro style coach and he still just can't figure shit out. He's hit his mental ceiling.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE;54981 said:
Dmark, I'm not trying to be a dick, but I just can't understand your logic. How the fuck can you say Kappernick has a higher ceiling? Have you seen the guy play? Have you seen how horrid his throwing motion is? Have you see how he stare down the receiver and "aims" the ball? He's never taken a snap under center his entire career. To say that he has a higher ceiling than Ponder is crazy! And locker has spent 2 years under a pro style coach and he still just can't figure shit out. He's hit his mental ceiling.
Do you understand what having a high ceiling means? It refers to potential from having the physical tools to be great. It doesn't refer to how polished he is right now. I have seen him play multiple times. He has a cannon of an arm and runs a 4.4 forty. Accuracy, throwing motion, staring down the receiver, and decision making can improve with good coaching. You cannot teach arm strength or athleticism, you either have it or you don't.

Ponder has mediocre arm strength with average athletic ability meaning his chances to ever be elite aren't very good. Like I said, he has good accuracy and makes good decisions so he will be a good game manager but will never be a QB to put a team on his back and win the game himself. Kappernick and Locker have the PHYSICAL TOOLS to become that if they can ever find a way to hit their potential. I never once said they have hit their potential already because obviously they haven't and I'm not saying they ever will, I'm just saying they actually have the capability to be game changers...Ponder does not.

I personally do not want to take ANY QB in the first round, including Locker. I am just saying what I think about all three of those guys and why most teams will be more attracted to guys like Locker and Kappernick as opposed to Ponder.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
dmarkholt12;54920 said:
From what I have been reading, there is more to Mallet than just getting into a little trouble. It is surfacing that he is a coke head. Im hearing he is almost certain to drop out of the first round and may slide all the way to round 3. He is drawing a lot of comparisson to both Ryan Leaf and Jimmy Clausen.

Coke head is a pretty strong term, I mean in college 'experimenting' is one thing but coke head? Either way not good news, I will say he has a look about him, little sketchy, cant put my finger on it, Ive seen him in interviews is all. He seems intellegent, but not sure it is in a good way.

These are all valid talking points, and although we are not 'expert' evaluators and are not privy to all the reports on these players, I guarrentee you that NFL FO's are having the exact, same, discussions we are, just at a differnet level.

So as seahawks fans, I ask you one simple question, since this has turned into a QB draft thread:

Do we get our franchise QB in this draft class or next year?

S

Seattlehawk94

bobflipaburger;54918 said:
Uh.. What about Stevie Johnson?

Good player but they knew he'd be pretty good....Fitzpatrick went from being a guy keeping the chair warm until someone better came in to being a pretty servicable QB...

Sometimes I wonder if you have ever seen Jake play.

Yeah, I have.....He's dumb when it comes to playbooks, reads, audibles and overthrows WRs left and right....Add in the fact he'd rather run first and never looks off and he's Chuckles Whitecursed minus the Charles Manson look...

I actually think Locker could turn into a Tony Romo or Jay Cutler type.

So an overhyped injuryprone chickeshit who can't win the the playoffs?

No thanks....

I personally do not want to take ANY QB in the first round, including Locker.

Amen....

And locker has spent 2 years under a pro style coach and he still just can't figure shit out. He's hit his mental ceiling.

Yep.....He's a mental midget....I don't think the mook can read "The Cat in the Hat" let alone a defense or a playbook...

Mallett will be a bust he's 6'6" and he will get killed in today's NFL. Like I said mark my words on Mallett.

So a guy can't play QB if he's a certain height?? Hmmmmm....Interesting...

Do we get our franchise QB in this draft class or next year?

NEXT....If worst comes to worst you look at making a move for Kolb if you can't re-sign Hasselbeck...Even if you can, for a 1st Rounder...Would suck like no other but....The guy can play in the NFL....Other than that...Wait till next year....

Reaction score
dmark,

Apparentley I don't know what a "high ceiling" means by your standards. So if a guy has HUGE question marks about every aspect of playing QB in the NFL that means he has a huge ceiling for potential?? Both Locker and Kappernick are going to be crap in the NFL... watch them play man, that's all you have to do. They didn't have what it took to win in the PAC-10 and WAC, but they've got high ceilings for potential in the NFL?? Give me a fucking break. The "Seattle love affair" with Locker is disgusting, even his biggest homer fans Hugh Millen and Brock Huard have written him off. Hugh said "he just doesn't get it"... all of Lockers issues are mental, not physical. Sure the kid is physically gifted, but the buck stops there. Maybe he'll be good at running the wild cat for Miami.

JaMarcus Russel threw for 70 yards on his knees, where did that arm strength get him? Ponder has good arm strength, no one is proclaiming that he has great arm strength. The kid is very smart when it comes to playing QB. Very accurate, throws with anticipation, quick release, good foot work. This is a kid that could step in and play QB in the NFL right now and have a good chance to be successful. If he has time to sit and study for a couple years, he can be a franchise player.

Dude don't make talk about Kappernick again, if you still don't get it, well then just go lick some paint thinner... won't make you any more stupid.

S

Seattlehawk94

He's not being stupid....Some players DO have "high ceilings" and pan out....There are some players who just take longer to grow into the position....Locker isn't one of them...

Reaction score
Bro I understand the concept of a high ceiling and potential... BUT Locker and Kappernick do not have that.

To say that they have a higher ceiling and Ponder does not in terms of NFL potential.... well that makes no sense.

Not trying to be a dick dmark, even though I am... can't help it. But it gets my blood boiling when people talk up Locker or Kappernick, because they have a hard on for them instead of being logical.

It's like these analyst that talk about Gabbart or whatever from Mizzou cause they've seen an impressive workout or a highlight reel and start proclaiming him as a top 5 pick, when in reality if you've seen him play the kid has some serious issues that could cause problems. I've got a friend who's a Mizzou fan and I've seen a couple games this year and talk to him at work about Gabbart and he agrees that he is far from being an NFL ready QB.

S

Seattlehawk94

Mike Mamula syndrome...Guy wasn't rated worth shit but looked good in a t-shirt and shorts at the combine so they jumped all over him...Always trust GAME FILM..

Don't think anyone on here except moronic Fuskies are all up on Jakemarcus....I'll post a poll when I'm home and we can see just how many people actually think he'd be even an okay NFL QB...

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE;55146 said:
Bro I understand the concept of a high ceiling and potential... BUT Locker and Kappernick do not have that.

To say that they have a higher ceiling and Ponder does not in terms of NFL potential.... well that makes no sense.

Not trying to be a dick dmark, even though I am... can't help it. But it gets my blood boiling when people talk up Locker or Kappernick, because they have a hard on for them instead of being logical.

It's like these analyst that talk about Gabbart or whatever from Mizzou cause they've seen an impressive workout or a highlight reel and start proclaiming him as a top 5 pick, when in reality if you've seen him play the kid has some serious issues that could cause problems. I've got a friend who's a Mizzou fan and I've seen a couple games this year and talk to him at work about Gabbart and he agrees that he is far from being an NFL ready QB.
Bro try reading for once. I never once claimed how great Locker or Kappernick were. Not once have I praised them on how great they were. In fact I believe I actually said I do not want them to take any QB in the first round...INCLUDING LOCKER. I just said they have higher ceilings and clear elite PHYSICAL TOOLS which makes them more appealing to teams. That is not a stupid comment at all. In fact, it is what every scout/analyst has said about them. So you are going to say what I am saying is stupid along with what people that get paid to scout are saying?

I already said they have not hit their ceilings and may never hit their ceilings, but it is the physical tools that attract teams to players like that ....NFL ready or not. Like 94 said, there are players that hit their celing and there are players that do not. It doesn't take away from the fact that they are attractive to teams because of their physical toolset. I am not denying any statements you or anyone else have made about Locker or Kappernick. But if you are gonna sit there and say they do not have the physical capabilities that not many players are blessed with then you are crazy. This is why they have high ceilings.

I am not taking anything away from Ponder. Like I said, he is a solid QB with good fundementals and great accuracy. He could very well be successful in the NFL one day, but in my personal opinion he will be a consistent game manager type of player. If he ends up on a team with a good running game and good defense, that would be a perfect fit for him.

S

Seattlehawk94

That's what it all comes down to....Where they end up....Some of those "low ceiling" guys could end up being All-Pros and some of those "high ceiling" guys could end up as washouts..

Look at a "low ceiling" QB drafted out of Michigan, kinda worked out well for N.E. because it was the right fit....Then look at the guys like Couch, Carr, Smith (either one) who were "high ceiling"....It's all about the TEAM THAT DRAFTS them....

tonos253

Huddler
Reaction score
Seattlehawk94;55252 said:
That's what it all comes down to....Where they end up....Some of those "low ceiling" guys could end up being All-Pros and some of those "high ceiling" guys could end up as washouts..

Look at a "low ceiling" QB drafted out of Michigan, kinda worked out well for N.E. because it was the right fit....Then look at the guys like Couch, Carr, Smith (either one) who were "high ceiling"....It's all about the TEAM THAT DRAFTS them....

Preach brotha

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Seattlehawk94;55147 said:
Mike Mamula syndrome...Guy wasn't rated worth shit but looked good in a t-shirt and shorts at the combine so they jumped all over him...Always trust GAME FILM..

Don't think anyone on here except moronic Fuskies are all up on Jakemarcus....I'll post a poll when I'm home and we can see just how many people actually think he'd be even an okay NFL QB...

How is that poll working out? lol. Looks like on this page most believe he'll be okay.

As for Mallett well being 6'6" hurts him makes for a big target. There is a reason you don't see QB's that tall in the NFL just ask Dan McGuire.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
They aren't 6'6" plus Mallett I've it happen two separate times where he threw a terrible pick at the worst time. Plus his off the field work ethic haven't heard good things about him. There is a reason why most "draft geru's" project him to be a second rounder.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
He's listed at 6'6" by his college, he'll probably measure in at like 6'5.5" at the combine.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
That isn't the only reason I don't like him. I don't like him because he throws bad picks at the worst times, questionable off the field stuff, plus with his size/lack of mobility I see him being killed.

I forgot everyone on here is an "expert" so Mallet will be a god and Locker will be a bust since you guys all say so.lol.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
I never said that about either of them. There's a lot to like about both guys, but right now there isn't much question Mallet is the better passer. With Locker its all about his skill set, which is great, but just because he has the tools doesn't mean he knows how to use them.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Just like with recruiting we can make educated guesses but ultimately we don't know. 94' make thinks he knows Locker will suck but really nobody does.

Did anyone think a quarterback who had to fight with Drew Hensen for a starting job would be a top five quarterback of all-time? I'm guessing not and if you say you did you aren't telling the truth.

I just find it funny that the same people who mock me for saying Mallet will be a bust turn around and say without a doubt Locker will be when they both have tons of questions surrounding them. I'd say both guys are projects at this point and would benefit greatly from going to a set team.

On paper there isn't a "franchise" QB in this draft. I'm sure years down the road we'll look back and there will have been one who emerges.

Like I said we can all take guesses but ultimately we don't know. I guess I"m just tired of debating the Locker topic. I get it 94' hates him and hates all things "fuskies" although he is constantly talking about Locker and the "fuskies". I think the Locker topic has been covered and beaten like a dead horse on here already.

http://www.seahawkshuddle.com/forum/nfl-draft/6490-jake-locker.html

Obviously others on here think he might turn out all right. I really don't know I sure hope he does. If he ends up okay will those who said for sure he would suck actually admit they were wrong about him? I highly doubt it.

Top Bottom