• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cheney Stadium

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
The one mistake I see the Mariners making is starting Jack Wilson at SS and not Brandan Ryan. Ryan is SO much better and he won't get the nod in my opinion. The lineup with him at SS and Ackley at 2nd would be so much better.

Reaction score
If Ryan out plays the Wilsons in ST he might get the starting spot. At very least he'll most likely be the opening day second baseman.

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

I mean Paul Abbott went 17-4 in 2001 did he have a better year than Felix last year at 13-12? no he didn't.

Yeah, actually he did.....He pitched in the postseason.....Isn't that the fucking point? Not to win a stupid award and get a bobblehead night in honor of it? And being 13 games over .500 means you did something right...

To steal a line from our old boy Bulger....YOU GUYS ARE NERDS! (LOLOLOL)

Seriously though.....No one looks at a "great WHIPer" (unless she's hot and wears lots of leather like Kate Beckinsale in those vampire flicks) when voting for HOF, A 300 GAME WINNER is the gold standard...

Always will be....The geeks might THINK they are taking over but the writers who vote don't look at that Bill James shit, they look at things like W/L and ERA....Some of you take the geekdom of baseball too seriously, why do you think it's been passed by other sports? THE GEEK FACTOR...Some people actually like to watch a sport where they can drink a beer, watch the game, and not worry about some number cruching assholes ruining it....Baseball is FULL of numbers crunching assholes now...

I'll take "I have a gut feeling that this hitter will do something against this pitcher HERE AND NOW" vs "This hitter hits this pitcher when the temp is over 75 and the wind is blowing left to right on Saturdays in August".....I've WORKED with those assholes before in case some of you forgot and you know what? THEY ARE WRONG MOST OF THE TIME....The very few times they are right they write a book about it proclaiming themselves "gurus"....Most managers hate them, most GMs who came around before 1998 hate them, ALL PLAYERS HATE THEM....

I couldn't even count the times I've seen those smug assholes gloating that they "know more about the game" than people who actually have HIT A BALL WITH A BAT (not off a tee like most of them COULDN'T do), baseball's been around since the Civil War...Seemed to do JUST FUCKING FINE before they showed up....

Most of them would make HRs a "non-stat" if they could....They hate the game the REGULAR FANS WATCH and try to make it into some D&D type shit so they feel like they "KNOW MORE" than the rest of the fans.....I know SABR, I WAS IN SABR...HOW MANY OF YOU WERE? I know NONE of you were because I was at all the meetings for years (laughing at them mostly because I HAD to be there)....Join SABR if you love that shit so much...Put up...Or STFU....Pretty simple.....Pay the dues, go to a meeting and make sure you get some really think glasses and try to look as close to Milhouse from "The Simpsons" all grows up as humanly possible...

On Ryan.....He starts at SS and Ackley makes the team out of ST....Like I said before, they are ALREADY precieved as "cheap" to ALOT of agents and players....If you send down a player who ready just to nickle and dime him you fuck yourself in the longrun....Only piss poor loser teams do that shit and in the end it makes it that much easier to leave when you play out your contract...

Reaction score
Not going to the playoffs isn't Felix's fault. Even if he somehow wins 30 games we still go 78-94. Plenty of people use whip, its a HELL of a lot more useful than opponent batting average. Why would we join SABR? Just because we look at sabermetrics doesn't mean we need to pay to join plus like I said before, I agree there's more to the game then just stats. I use Sabermetrics as a tool, not as a guide.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Would Felix have won the Cy Young without sabremetrics? I don't follow closely, so I have no idea. I'm just asking the question.

Reaction score
No, he would not. He wouldn't have even been close. Before sabermetrics the cy young usually went to the player with the best record and ERA was pretty much the tie breaker Even though wins are dependent on the 9 guys swinging the bats as well and also he bullpen to preserve the win. Felix had TERRIBLE run support so even though he was pitching out of his mind he wasn't getting wins since it is impossible to get a win when your team score 0 runs...

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

Join just to see who you are alining yourself with...lol

18, if it wasn't for the SABR geeks Chocolate Cake Sabathia or David Price win it hands down....I get soooo sick of the "he didn't win because his team sucked"......LOOK UP STEVE CARLTON IN 1972 AND LOOK AT HIS WIN TOTAL BEFORE YOU KEEP REPEATING "WINS DON'T MATTER"...

Seriously, LOOK IT UP.....27 WINS.....On a team that lost ALMOST as much as these eMbarrassers....

Some of you make Queen Felixena sound like he had the greatest season EVER for a pitcher.....Shit.....There have been BETTER pitchers winning 20 games for WORSE teams than that eM's team....You think Carlton got SHITLOADS of run support? FUCK NO...He won games by basically THROWING SHUTOUTS left and right....If QUEEN was so "dominant" why is he NO WHERE NEAR CARLTON?

Carlton THREW THIRTY 30 COMPLETE GAMES THAT YEAR AND EIGHT 8 SHUTOUTS...

Look at history before ya'll say "well he pitched on a shitty team"...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHI/1972.shtml

QUEEN has thrown THIRTEEN Complete Games....IN HIS CAREER and FOUR SHUTOUTS IN HIS CAREER....If he didn't pitch for the eMbarrassers or ya'll were Yankers or Rays fans right now you'd be bitching to high hell about why Price or Cheese Cake didn't win the Cy Young over a .500 pitcher for a 100 loss team...

That is what's wrong with SABR idiots....They glorify LOSERS and odd stats to say "I INVENTED THIS STAT AND THIS GUY IS A GREAT PLAYER"...

Hey, I'll invent a stat called "BEST FIVE HUNDRED PITCHER FOR A HUNDRED LOSS TEAM" or BFHPFAHLT for short....Then whenever a shitty team's best pitcher barely cracks .500 I can say "LOOK AT HIS BFHPFAHLT! HE SHOULD WIN THE CY YOUNG FOR THAT!---HE'S THE BEST BFHPFAHLT IN THE MAJORS!!!!"....

lololololololol

Queen Felix----BFHPFAHLT Champion for 2010!

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Well fortunately for Felix he wasn't going up against Carlton for the award.

The Cy Young is an individual award, no? To that extent, it seems fair to attempt to remove as many team factors as possible.

Reaction score
Our offense was historically bad. Wins are not something a pitcher has complete control over, even if you don't look a sabermetrics stats and look at your small group of stats you do look at Felix wins most of them.

As for Carlton vs. Felix

Average runs per game scored:
NL (1972)- 3.91
AL (2010)- 4.36
'72 Phillies- 3.22
'10 Mariners- 3.23

So the Philllies scored about 7 tenths below the league average whereas the Mariners scored more than a full run below the league average.

Average run support-
Carlton (1972)- 3.8
Felix- 3.2

So in games Carlton pitched he actually got somewhat close to the league average in run support, a great pitcher SHOULD win with average run support. The Mariners on the other hand did not score anymore for Felix than they did for anyone else.

Doesn't matter how well you pitch, you can't put runs on the board

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

Again....8 SHUTOUTS....30 CGs...

Felix get's tired drinking Gatoraid....

Add in the fact CARLTON BATTED FOR HIMSELF.....So basically he stayed in THIRTY games where they could've pinch hit for him in late innings....

I'm saying if you are going to win the Cy Young Award for a shitty team you have to have EYE POPPING STATS.....13-12 and SKIPPING A START TO PRESERVE SUCH A "STELLER" RECORD isn't "eye popping"....Basically you have to have a season LIKE CARLTON had....Queenie doesn't even have as many CAREER SHUTOUTS as Carlton did THAT SEASON...\

People don't "FEAR" Queenie....They really don't.....Outside of Seattle he's "a good pitcher"...Here he's "THE QUEEN...err...THE KING!"...Shit, more opponents were worried about Cliff Lee when he was here than ol' King Cole....

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Seattlehawk94;55435 said:
People don't "FEAR" Queenie....They really don't.....Outside of Seattle he's "a good pitcher"...Here he's "THE QUEEN...err...THE KING!"...Shit, more opponents were worried about Cliff Lee when he was here than ol' King Cole....

That is not even remotely true. I have read numerous statements over the years from players stating that Felix is the nastiest pitcher in the entire league. I guarantee you if you asked every coach/player in the league to make a top 5 nastiest pitchers in the league...Felix would be on nearly every one of those lists. I do agree with you on the sabermetrics point, but to say Felix is not one of the best pitchers in the league is absurd. There are factors to a W-L record that have nothing to do with the pitcher himself. He had an ERA of 2.27 and had 232 K's with only 70 BB. What more could you ask for from a pitcher?

Reaction score
Those 30 CGs are more a product of how much different the game was back then. And you can't penalize Felix for being in the AL, there's nothing he could do about that. As for Felix only being "good" outside of Seattle, that's plain wrong. The only reason I even got on myspace last year was for the huge baseball group on there (of which I was the only regular poster who was a Mariners fan at the time.) and almost everyone was saying it would be complete robbery if Felix didn't win the Cy Young. And Felix's numbes WERE eye popping outside of wins.

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

Okay, I'll grant Felix is a damn good pitcher...Just sick of the hype....Much like Jakemarcus Locker...Want RINGS and him getting the Cy Young was EVERYTHING I'm against in sports...You shouldn't WIN an individual award for being on a garbage team and be treated like Steve Nebraska getting carried on the field on a throne (not literally)....

Sorry, I was brought up that way....I hit .763 one year in Jr. High, we WON TWO GAMES OUT OF TWENTY...My old man used to reward me for certain goals but ONLY WHEN WE WON....Which was NOT VERY MUCH...."Why should you get praise? Your team lost! So you should get a reward for being the "best loser"?"

I grew up with that mantra and still hold it....If you are "great" but your team sucks...You are a loser...You WIN AAAAANNNND LOSE AS A TEAM....Why should YOU get an award for being part of a shitty team when a person who WON AND HELPED HIS TEAM WIN GET'S STIFFED?

Won my league's BA title and came in 3rd in HRs, and 2nd in RBIs.....Won "Team MVP"...My old man put the trophy away in a box in the crawl space when we got home.....If the same thing happens to my kids, I'll do the same damned thing.....Didn't understand it then but.....As I get older I see how right my pops was....

We are in an era where most parents think "everyone should get a reward" and guys like Felix THRIVE in it...Know why? Because TEAM isn't the #1 priority personal stats are....And don't tell me he "sat out that last game for the team"...He did it for his damn self....

THAT is why I can't stand Queenie....Ever watch "The Replacements"?

"I want the ball!!"
"Winners ALWAYS DO!"

You don't "sit" to preserve a stat....GOOGLE: Ted Williams 1941 Last Day of the Season

THAT is what WINNERS do.....

Reaction score
He dominated the league in innings pitchdd even without that meaningless start under his belt. No matter who's decision it was it was right right one, but I'm sure if it was up to Felix he would have played. Dude is as competitive as they come.

Besides the Cy Young is an INDIVIDUAL award. Its not like the MVP where you have to be on a good team to get it. If Felix gets even average run support this argument changes from "Is Felix great or not?" To "Was Felix's season last year the best in Mariners history?" because with an average offense Felix probably goes like 22-5.

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

Even if he goes 22-5 he's still not close to RJ's 1995 season....Everytime Randy took the hill that year he could've thrown a no-hitter....Felix has NEVER been close to that kinda domination....

Man.....I hope the league ROCKS this dude this season just so people in Seattle would shutup about him....To some of you he's Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson, Cy Young, and Sandy Koufax all rolled into one....Except every one of them WON a World Series.....Cy Hernandez hasn't even pitched in the playoffs...Yeah, I get it..It's a "team thing"....Sometimes GREAT PITCHERS carry their teams...

Jeez.....Some of you act like those "Twilght" fangirls talking about "Eddie" or whatever his name is when you talk about him...Shit...He didn't INVENT baseball, they actually played the game before the Queen made his debut...I'm waiting for his 154-155 career to end without a postseason and see you all bitching about him not making the HOF because "the voters are stupid" or some other excuses...

You do REALIZE that shitty offense was one of the BEST defenses right? Maybe if they HAD bats and shitty gloves his numbers might look ALOT different...I can see it now "HE WON 21 GAMES BUT PLAYER X WAS ONLY .500--LOOK AT HIS W/L RECORD! THOSE VOTERS ARE STUPID FOR VOTING FOR PLAYER X!"

Go to a Yankers or Rays website and ask who should've won the Cy Young....

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
94' I sometimes wonder if you actually believe what you are writing here. Despite everyone giving you tons of evidence you continue to plug your ears and shout "I"m right and your wrong" over and over.

Felix didn't ask to sit out the last game. In fact he very much so wanted to pitch but the organization seeing that he led the AL in innings pitch(What a "wimp" huh?) felt why pitch him again.

Felix is a horse and to call him a queen is just ridiculous. He led the AL in innings pitched this past season and finished one inning behind Halladay for the innings pitched crown in all of baseball. Felix also tied for the American league lead in starts made as well.

Pitcher A
250 2/3 innings
2.44 ERA
9 CG
4 SHO
219 K's
1.04 WHIP

Pitcher B
249 2/3 innings
2.27 ERA
6 CG
1 SHO
232 K's
1.05 WHIP

Pitcher C
208 2/3 innings
2.72 ERA
2 CG
1 SHO
188 K's
1.19 WHIP

Pitcher D
237 2/3 innings
3.18 ERA
2 CG
0 SHO
197 K's
1.19 WHIP

One of these pitchers won the CY Young unanimously, one won the CY Young and the other two would have won the CY Young if voting was done the same.

I guess according to 94' logic Paul Abbott in 2001, Boby Ayala in 1997, Andy Benes in 1995 are all better than Felix last year because they happened to be on offenses who scored runs for them.

In nine no-decisions Felix had an era of 1.69 meaning his team gave him no support. He received one or zero runs in all nine no-decisions as well. In 10 of his losses he received 2 runs or fewer support.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Everytime Randy took the hill that year he could've thrown a no-hitter....Felix has NEVER been close to that kinda domination....

He has carried a no hitter into the eighth twice already including last year. I didn't realize he was competing with Randy of 1995 for the Cy Young either.

To some of you he's Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson, Cy Young, and Sandy Koufax all rolled into one....Except every one of them WON a World Series.

I wasn't aware Felix career was over. I'm sure all of Seattle was all over Johnson too while he was here and he never pitched in the World Series. Guess he sucks too. Maddux and Johnson have losing records in the playoffs and since record is the only thing that matters according to you that means they sucked in the postseason.

...I can see it now "HE WON 21 GAMES BUT PLAYER X WAS ONLY .500--LOOK AT HIS W/L RECORD! THOSE VOTERS ARE STUPID FOR VOTING FOR PLAYER X!"

The Voters are stupid because they voted the best pitcher to win the Cy Young award?! The pitcher who beat them in every category but wins?!! I guess Paul Abott in 2001 who went 17-4 had a greater year than Felix.

Go to a Yankers or Rays website and ask who should've won the Cy Young....

I'd say they are being homers. David Price came out and said Felix deserved the award on his twitter page. I also didn't know Yankees and Rays fans had the final say on Cy Young. The Cy Young wasn't even close Felix won in a landslide and he should. You call Felix a queen? He had more CG's than Price and Sabathia COMBINED!

So continue to call the rest of us stupid and "twilight" fans when we are making actual points. Every stat and argument you've brought up so far has been refuted. Face it sabermetrics is good for baseball and Felix should and did win the Cy Young rather easily(Waiting for rant on how writers never played the game).

Reaction score
Yankees fans of all people should know how good Felix was last year. He DOMINATED the Yankees last year, who by the way, had the best offense in the league which brings up the point that "chocolate cake" never had to face that lineup and Felix never got the benefit of getting to face the Mariners pathetic lineup.

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

You are right Kris....I am wrong...Congrats...You are way more knowledgeable about sports than myself....I bow to your presence....

No rant....Just envy....

Top Bottom