• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cheney Stadium

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

That's my point there "WAR"..How many fucking stats do you need?

And no, they really don't like "clutch" in SABR circles...Best way to piss of a SABR geek is to say "clutch"..

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Im with 94 on this one fellas. The nerds that use sabermetrics are people that could never play the game and try to justify everything that happens in baseball by some math equation. Anyone that has played baseball their whole lives knows that those stats are worthless. Sometimes you get your hands around on a 94 mph fastball and sometimes you get fooled and get jammed. It doesn't matter what freakin month it is or what the whether is or what the situation is. IT's JUST THE GAME OF BASEBALL. People need to stop making it about math because the people that came up with sabermetrics are not ballplayers they are math nerds.

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

dmarkholt12;55271 said:
im with 94 on this one fellas. The nerds that use sabermetrics are people that could never play the game and try to justify everything that happens in baseball by some math equation. Anyone that has played baseball their whole lives knows that those stats are worthless. Sometimes you get your hands around on a 94 mph fastball and sometimes you get fooled and get jammed. It doesn't matter what freakin month it is or what the whether is or what the situation is. It's just the game of baseball. People need to stop making it about math because the people that came up with sabermetrics are not ballplayers they are math nerds.

a-freaking-men!

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
The Sabermetrics crowd may be nerds but they also bring some intelligent things to the table. If you look at most GM's they weren't ex-players. Usually the best managers weren't very good players themselves.

My point is at what point do you draw the line?! From he didn't play so regardless of what he says he shouldn't have an opinion to you didn't play in the pro's so how can you criticize that player? Like I didn't play quarterback but I rag on QB's for making poor decisions all the time.

I think being open minded to all sorts of knowledge is the best way to go personally. I listen to ex players, saber guys, bloggers, analyst, etc.

As for NFL not allowing the geeks in their world wasn't Jon Clayton and Chris Berman in the hall of fame a few years back?

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
John Clayton and Chris Berman take the game of football for what it is. They do not try and justify everything that happens with an equation or stat. That is the difference between them and sabermetrics "nerds".

Reaction score
Baseball is a stat sport, always has been. Why not use advanced statistics? Sabermetrics are just an attempt to level the playing field, for example OPS+ is a stat that takes into account that ballpark players play in and adjusts accordingly.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
bobflipaburger;55300 said:
Baseball is a stat sport, always has been. Why not use advanced statistics? Sabermetrics are just an attempt to level the playing field, for example OPS+ is a stat that takes into account that ballpark players play in and adjusts accordingly.

Baseball is a stat sport no argue there. But it cannot be explained by stats. Baseball is a game of reaction and flow, something statistics cannot explain. Stats should be used to show how well a player is doing...not why a player does this or that (if that makes any sense...hard to explain my thought process).

Reaction score
I get what you're trying to say, and you're right. BUT sabermetrics are a great tool, it takes people that believe everything can be quantified to invent these statistics so people like me can use a combination of those stats and what they see on the field to base their opinion on someone.

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

Only stats that I look at:

W/L
ERA
Ks
BA
OBP
HRs
RBIs
BBs
IP

During a season:
Streaks (hitting, scoreless Innings)
Batter vs Pitcher All-Time Matchups
Hot/Cold

Really those are all that matter....If a guys hitting in 29 straight games in April are you going to bench him in May because his May BA is .102? Seriously? You RIDE THE PLAYERS THAT ARE ON HOT STREAKS....You don't need a computer to tell you that kinda shit....

And Yeah...Clayton and (hahahahaaha) that fat windbag loser asshole Berman weren't players but they don't rattle off stats like "Brady averages 310 yards on days when it's below 45 during 1PM EST starts when it's overcast" like those McLovin looking motherfuckers at SABR do....

People make it waaaaay too fucking hard, used to be the manager would look at the newspaper the day of a game and base his lineup on that....Now it's some nerd in his mom's basement saying "you can't play HIM, his WHIP (sound kinda like what a dominatrix uses as a stat also) is blah blah blah blah)....

FUCK.....THAT....SHIT.....Kids in HS, LL, and Rec leagues have developed for years without those useless stats that only fucking geeks know the meaning up....

I've got a stat for SABR types: 1 man + 1 woman (unless you are a lucky guy)= sex....Now THAT stat would take them A LIFETIME to figure out because most of them have only seen naked womens on the YouTubes.....Like I said....A bunch of geeks who've never been laid with wwwwwwaaaaay too much fucking time on their hands...

McLovin-Driver-License.jpg

President of the Hawai'i Chapter of SABR, AND and Organ Donor!

Reaction score
You're bragging about being closed minded? Lol who invented the sabermetrics couldn't be more irrelevant. Like it or not sabermetrics are revolutionizing the game, front offices rely heavily on them now.

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

If I'm "closed minded" than so are every former and pretty much every current manager, player, and old school broadcaster....

I'd rather be in their group than a bunch of McLovin lookalikes....

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

Good, I'm closed minded.....

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
I'd say managers at least the younger ones are into sabermetrics so are current players.

When Zach Greinke won his Cy Young in 2009 he said if not for sabermetrics he wouldn't be the pitcher that he is.

Managers always use statistics too Mark. They go to career matchups all the time.

Like it or not Sabermetrics is the present and will soon dominate the future of baseball.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Managers were using career matchups way before sabermetrics ever existed. The greatest pitchers of all time never needed sabermetrics when there was no such thing.

OP
S

Seattlehawk94

Yeah, I don't think Cy Young or Christy Matthewson used "WHIP"...lol

"Well, Walter (Johnson)...We are going to have to pull you because your "WHIP" is kinda weak right now....Sorry..."

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
WHIP is very important and isn't even sabermetrics. WHIP has been around since I can remember.

If a reliever has a high WHIP you know he gets guys on base so best not to have him pitch in a jam.

Sabermetrics is just more tools to help you longterm. Also helps figuring out your roster and puts emphasis on ability instead of luck. A pitchers W-L and ERA has so many variables he can't control.

I mean Paul Abbott went 17-4 in 2001 did he have a better year than Felix last year at 13-12? no he didn't.

Reaction score
Exactly. Sabermetrics aren't about pointless number crunching, they're about isolating the moments when a player is in complete control of what happens, so for a pitcher varibles such as the defense behind him or the ballpark he plays in can impact his ERA. By focusing on what players CAN control you can hopefully have a better idea of what to expect from a player and know what their real value is.

Top Bottom