• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks trade for Whitehurst

Trumpet Man

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46466 said:
I guess in my mind, the thing that just doesn't sit well with me is that he's going into his 5th year and he was still the 3rd string QB. I don't blame him for being behind Rivers, but if he is worth how much we gave up for him, SD wouldn't have needed Volek to be the backup. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I just don't have a whole lot of faith in this move.

The Chargers wanted a VET in the QB 2 hole because we are in the hunt for not only a playoff spot but we need a new stadium. Billy Volek was coveted by A.J. Smith. Billy Volek is nails and is only costing us about $3 mil to be a back up and that is cheap insurance. The dude won a playoff game for us against the Colts after Rivers went down on a QB sneak.

Don't let the fact that Whitey could not beat out Volek jade your opinion about this trade. I would love to gloat how you guys got screwed but you are getting a QB who I strongly suspect will deliver the goods.

The draft is deep and sliding down 20 spots in the second round will not hurt you in this draft. Now you guys can use your first round pick on fast fat guys - THE BEEF - to rock and roll.

As Charger fans we know what crappy QB play is all about. We do not have many QB's to say "lookie here" because we have had vitually none other than Fouts, Humphries, Brees - FLUTIE (love the midget) and Rivers (the Chosen One) are all we have to brag about (Tobin Rote and John Hadl in the 60's as well.

Whitey will make you want to deal more with the Chargers.

Reaction score
dmarkholt12;46462 said:
and eric...to say that you can be good but inconsistent comparing yourself to an nfl quarterback is ridiculous.

its called an exaggeration bud... don't take it so literally.

i know we have no choice but to give the guy a shot.. but that doesnt mean

i cant be skeptical of some one that is unproven and in my opinion not good at making chooses on the field...

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
EricOV;46473 said:
its called an exaggeration bud... don't take it so literally.

i know we have no choice but to give the guy a shot.. but that doesnt mean

i cant be skeptical of some one that is unproven and in my opinion not good at making chooses on the field...
i guess you have every right to be skeptical of him...he is an unproven starter and a risk. sometimes seeing things from the sidelines and learning from the vets is what a guy needs though ya know? a lot of him trying to force the ball in college can be due to having a suspect line and a bad receiving core as well. not to mention the guy had 4 different offensive coordinators in college.

Reaction score
I know you want to be optimistic... but i really dont like the inconsistency and the decision making problems.

Also i think if they cut/trade Hasselbeck the are crazy... he is still very good and his bad season last year can be explained by 1.4 secs. on avg. in the pocket... lets see what interception to TD ratio Whitey will have with that much pressure.

i guess i just dont want us to loose the one proven guy we have for some gamble that could really screw us.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
i agree hass has something left in the tank. however, the way whitey plays makes him a better fit behind a suspect line actually. quick release, mobile, can make throws on the run, and can take a hit. im not saying he will be good without a line, because there isnt a qb that would do good behind the line we put on the field last year. i am just saying his potential is absolutely undeniable. hass has another couple of years left in him but if whitey can produce at a high level i dont see why we wouldnt put him in there and get something for hass while he still does have something in the tank. like i said...it is a risky move, but i see it paying off.

Reaction score
i say we keep matt and let teel,whitey and Matt really battle it out for the top spot... that way we dont risk loosing a proven good guy for something that may not pan out

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
im all for that. that is what carroll said the move was for anyways...competition. that way whoever wins the job deserves it.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't know why they'd pay Hasselbeck a $1 million bonus a few days ago and then cut him/trade him. He's around for at least 2010.

LaceyBALL3R360

Huddler
Reaction score
and like i said earlier i would be shocked if he made it through the entire season b4 getting hurt or being benched due to bad play

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
I told you guys weeks ago that the Seahawks were looking at Whitehurst and it's finally come true. This guy has sat for years behind Philip Rivers and Norv Turner in the same system. I think it's funny how you guys are saying that this kid is "unproven" in the NFL and bunch of you were saying draft a QB high. Whitehurst is just as "unproven" as someone you draft, this way we only lose a third rounder instead of a high first rounder, remember Rick Mirer? Great move by the Seahawks, this kid is going to be really good as long as we upgrade the OL.

HollywoodLeo

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46417 said:
If the dude can't beat Billy Volek for the backup spot, then there's no reason we should have given up as much as we did to get him.
Billy Volek is no slouch

HollywoodLeo

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46436 said:
The exact same situation except Hasselbeck was 3 years younger, didn't spend the last 4 years as the 3rd string QB, and was hand picked by a coach who had experience with him and had coached Hall of Fame quarterbacks. Also, how much of Hasselbeck's development was because he had Holmgren as a coach for 10 years?

So yeah, its the same situation if you look at it as trading draft value for a backup QB. Other than that, I don't think they're that similar at all.

Whitehurst had Norv as a coach for 4 years.

Say what you will about Norval's skills as a head coach, his resume in developing QBs is pretty good.

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's better to pay $5 million a year (actually $4 with $2 in incentives) over the next two years and lose a third rounder than draft a QB high in the first round and pay him $30 million dollars guaranteed. I like this trade.

Reaction score
Like I said in the beginning, I am not overly stoked about this trade.... BUT....

Pete Carroll is known for his ability to recognize talent in young players, and groom them up to be damn good players. He has a lot on the line here in Seattle, a lot to prove, and I doubt he would have made this move if he didn't know his sh*t and think Whitehurst was the real deal.

Plus, who the hell in here knows anything about running a football team? No one, if you didn't you wouldn't be blogging on a sports team fan site.

It's still awful early in the offseason process. Give it some time and see how things pan out. We didn't lose a pick this year, picked up another 4th rounder. Hopefully Pete and Schneider can wheel and deal a few more trades (Branch and/or Sims) and maybe pick up a couple more picks.

At least now we don't have to wonder whether they'll draft a QB this year or not. We need major help at O line, upgrade at RB, DB, and DE and we are off to a good start.

Top Bottom