• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks sign 2012 CFL RoY Chris Matthews

Reaction score
Big body WR. 6'5" 220ish

Former WSU and Blue Bombers QB Alex Brink on with Ian and Puckett on KJR right now. Played QB with Matthews in 2012. High praise from Brink. Hard worker. Has improved his route running. Great hands. He said "throw the ball up and he comes down with it EVERYTIME".

He says he's not a burner. Former Basketball player. Reminds him of a Jimmy Graham type of pass catching TE.

I'm pretty excited to see this kid in camp.

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
One handed Hail Mary catch from Brink.

Great box out on the DB. You can tell he played basketball.

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Seahawks sign former CFL standout Chris Matthews
div.share{ padding-top:10px;z-index:9999; } div.share ul{ margin-bottom:0px;padding-bottom:0px;list-style-type:none; } div.share ul li{ float:left;margin-right:15px; } div.share .padone{ float:left;margin-left:15px;padding-top:1px; } .twitter-share-button { width: 80px !important; }
By Brady Henderson
Known for leaving no stone unturned while building their roster, the Seahawks have again turned to the Canadian Football League for their latest addition.
The team announced Tuesday it has signed wide receiver Chris Matthews to a futures contract.
Matthews, 24, was undrafted out of Kentucky in 2012. He signed with the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers and caught 81 passes for 1,192 yards and seven touchdowns en route to winning the league's rookie of the year award. He caught 14 passes for 138 yards and one touchdown in 2013, missing 13 of 18 games because of injuries.
Listed at 6-foot-5 and 227 pounds, Matthews becomes the biggest receiver on Seattle's roster.
The Seahawks struck gold three years ago with cornerback Brandon Browner, who blossomed into a starter and made a Pro Bowl with Seattle after a stint in the CFL. Matthews has a long way to go to even stick with the team, but he'll get a chance to compete to be the big-bodied target that Seattle didn't have last season once Sidney Rice went down with a knee injury.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
Me likey. I honestly hope we move him to TE and he does well. I want them to find a way to cut Zach Miller and save the cap.

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
Me likey. I honestly hope we move him to TE and he does well. I want them to find a way to cut Zach Miller and save the cap.
I've gone back and forth on Miller and I don't think they cut him. He'll be making $7 million compared to $12 million (I think) last year. That's still a little steep but he's too valuable to this offense. He's one of the best run blocking TE's in the game and this is still a run first team. He won't put up gawdy numbers because we throw it 25 times a game but I think his impact is still felt on the field.

I think Matthews will be used as an outside guy primarily but I could see him lining up inside and causing miss matches for nickle defenders.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
he's too valuable to this offense. He's one of the best run blocking TE's in the game and this is still a run first team.

Yeah he is a great player and fit on this team. I'm hoping he'll come back for 3-4M range? There are some good prospects in the draft, and rookies are so cheap now with the CBA comparatively. Hopefully get McCoy back too, but he is not much of a blocker.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Isn't McCoy still on the team ? That dude was money at TE , was he released after his injury or is he coming back?

Free Brandon Browner

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
Yeah he is a great player and fit on this team. I'm hoping he'll come back for 3-4M range? There are some good prospects in the draft, and rookies are so cheap now with the CBA comparatively. Hopefully get McCoy back too, but he is not much of a blocker.
Correct me if I'm wrong (seriously) but for Miller to come back for less he's have to be released and sign a new deal. I think he's in his last year and you can only move money around in a restructure and if there aren't years to move money into.... Am I wrong?

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
Isn't McCoy still on the team ? That dude was money at TE , was he released after his injury or is he coming back?

Free Brandon Browner
McCoy was more of a passing catching TE from what I recall and a damn good one. He's explosive and can make some big plays down fields. I'm excited for his return.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong (seriously) but for Miller to come back for less he's have to be released and sign a new deal. I think he's in his last year and you can only move money around in a restructure and if there aren't years to move money into.... Am I wrong?

I think in any deal restructure you can move money around and extend length, I dont think you call it or consider it a 'release'. Not sure myself, just know that guys have been signed to 'new' deals and basically scraped the old one. I'm sure there stipulations and special conditions to doing this, 'but you can in madden' LOL!

Top Bottom