• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SEAHAWKS 2011 DRAFT - Rnd 1, Pick 25: James Carpenter, OL, Alabama

Reaction score
The thing that upsets me about this pick is that he would have likely been there at 57.
Even james him self said " I didn't think I would get picked until later in the draft"

Now its awesome that they got the "guy" they wanted. But when you look at it and see the talented guys that dropped to us, its upsetting that we reached.

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder what the deals they got to trade back were, he said there was 5 offers. That's what bugs me more than the pick itself.

PacWest

Huddler
Reaction score
Now its awesome that they got the "guy" they wanted. But when you look at it and see the talented guys that dropped to us, its upsetting that we reached.

I totally understand that the rankings that so called "experts" made in mock drafts show that there were "higher ranked" players still available, but that was their opinion and their best educated guess on what could happen.

The front office had their eye on him for about a year now, and for good reason. He played in the SEC which is full of competition, and he was the left tackle protecting the QB and also helping to open up holes for Mark Ingram. He also started all 27 games of his 2-year tenure at Alabama, and stayed healthy throughout. I think if you like Ingram then you should have reason to appreciate Carpenter for his role in Ingram's success. For a good RB to succeed, he needs a solid and healthy line that consists of the same healthy players week after week. We struggled badly last year with keeping the identity of the O-Line consistent, mostly due to injuries.

Ever since we chose James at #25, I immediately started my own research on him and could start to see the picture that John and Pete are painting with our O-Line, especially now with Tom Cable on board.

I've heard a lot of people refer to James as a "Diamond in the Rough".

GO SEAHAWKS !!

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
The thing that upsets me about this pick is that he would have likely been there at 57.
Even james him self said " I didn't think I would get picked until later in the draft"

You are basing your theory of more talented players off of what the talking heads are telling you. Just because Mel Kiper, Mayock, and Mcshay all thought Carimi and Sherrod were better doesn't make it true. Mike Lombardi had Carpenter rated as the 2nd best LT in the draft, even ahead of Castonzo. It is all based off of the scouts opinion. Obviously Pete and John liked Carpenter more than everyone else and they have done nothing to prove to me that their evaluations are wrong.

It was also said that Baltimore, Pitt, and GB all wanted Carpenter pretty bad and he would have most likely would not have gotten by GB at 32. So he most likely would not have been there at 57. If teams like that who are always successful in the draft are high on the same guy, I am confident we made a good choice. He was John and Pete's top player on the board and is a much better fit for what Cable wants to do with the line than Sherrod or Carimi, so it was not a reach. I think the people that are bashing this pick will be pleasantly surprised.

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing this, but everything I read is hoping, if not praying and/or sacrificing live chickens in the desperate hope that Carpenter is the bookend bad ass nasty RT we dream of. So as far as "negativity" I don't see it. As far as this guy being a reach, I've got ESPN ripping us for not grabbing one of 3 young qb's that we liked and that were available. I've also read the very same bleacher report that said gb wanted carpenter (in the second round) grade us as a C for drafting carpenter at 25.

Not just talking heads.

So fingers crossed, but, still makes me wonder...

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing this, but everything I read is hoping, if not praying and/or sacrificing live chickens in the desperate hope that Carpenter is the bookend bad ass nasty RT we dream of. So as far as "negativity" I don't see it. As far as this guy being a reach, I've got ESPN ripping us for not grabbing one of 3 young qb's that we liked and that were available. I've also read the very same bleacher report that said gb wanted carpenter (in the second round) grade us as a C for drafting carpenter at 25.

Not just talking heads.

So fingers crossed, but, still makes me wonder...

I heard on NFL radio while our pick was made last night that Ted Thompson loved the guy and wanted to take him in the 1st. Also heard that Baltimore and Pitt liked him a lot and would consider taking him in the 1st as well. ESPN, bleacherreport, internet sites, they are all talking heads so you saying not just talking heads isn't true. Anything you read online, or see on espn or nfl network is considered a talking head for the most part. The only draft boards that matter are the teams draft boards. Not Mel Kipers, not Todd Mcshay's, not Mike Mayocks. If GB, Balt, and Pitt all liked this guy and we took him even ahead of the other tackles available...I am confident in the player we got. John and Pete are the pros that are getting paid to do this. Just because you read an opinion online that disagrees with their evaluation doesn't make their evaluation on a player wrong.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I read the kids bio and he seems to be a solid player, and has done some good things in his short career .

I think the plan was to trade down and take him , when we couldn't we were forced to pull the trigger and we will pay him first round money , so he better start .

We passed on a DB with issues , a Rb we don't need , Carmini who I liked but may end up at guard , and A few others, that were eagerly grabbed up right behind us .

I'm happy to get help at the line . I hope he's the answer

Reaction score
I'm not sure he'll be all that much of an improvment in pass pro from what I'm reading he's a GREAT run blocker, but struggles in pass blocking.

Reaction score
The Atlanta trade still has me scratching my head... 5 picks for Jones and the trait they wanted in a WR was explosivness. They could have waited for Titus Young.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Pottsie has watched Carpenter his whole college career because he's a 'Bama fan. He texted me and was pretty happy about the pick. I'm all right with the pick and hope he, Unger, and Okung form the foundation of our line for the next decade. That'd be a nice change.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Pottsie has watched Carpenter his whole college career because he's a 'Bama fan. He texted me and was pretty happy about the pick. I'm all right with the pick and hope he, Unger, and Okung form the foundation of our line for the next decade. That'd be a nice change.

Hope everything is ok down there for Potts and his people !

Idahawk

Reaction score
WTF, they might as well have traded that pick for an extra second, we could have got that guy much later

I said the same thing, but after further review...

We tried to trade down , they knew the value of the guy , but he was the target player and they didn't want to see him go elsewhere which he would have.

Reaction score
You are basing your theory of more talented players off of what the talking heads are telling you. Just because Mel Kiper, Mayock, and Mcshay all thought Carimi and Sherrod were better doesn't make it true. Mike Lombardi had Carpenter rated as the 2nd best LT in the draft, even ahead of Castonzo. It is all based off of the scouts opinion. Obviously Pete and John liked Carpenter more than everyone else and they have done nothing to prove to me that their evaluations are wrong.

It was also said that Baltimore, Pitt, and GB all wanted Carpenter pretty bad and he would have most likely would not have gotten by GB at 32. So he most likely would not have been there at 57. If teams like that who are always successful in the draft are high on the same guy, I am confident we made a good choice. He was John and Pete's top player on the board and is a much better fit for what Cable wants to do with the line than Sherrod or Carimi, so it was not a reach. I think the people that are bashing this pick will be pleasantly surprised.

First off I couldnt care less what those NFL network douchers say. When i was talking about talented players that dropped i was saying Jimmy smith or Wilkerson and I like them because of what i have seen from them not because of the stuff people say.

As far as Oline goes I like Carpenter but i think we could have taken him with our second round pick and drafted a shut down corner like smith with our first. All I have herd is that carpenter was slotted as a late second round pick and with all the OL that fell in the first round, his stock had dropped to about a third rounder by the time our pick came around. So even if the guy is great its still a reach, when you could get him for much less.

Walddo

Huddler
Reaction score
Alabama always ran the ball well, and I have to think some of that was due in part to Mr. Carpenter. I live in the south and see a lot of SEC football and it is certainly not finesse. I have no problem at all getting a SEC rough and nasty lineman. And with cable...we might actually turn into a tough team that runs the ball down your throat and makes you give in. THAT is the team we can and will be. Championship caliber. Lets just hope he puts the work in and buys into the system, and I know I'M hoping at least that we can get maybe mallet or mccelroy(s.p? Alabama QB)....You guys might balk, but both have definite potential and we definitely need a new young franchise QB at some point...either has potential...Mallet with shear ability to put power on the ball...and yes I know the same was said about Jemarcus....and Greg Mccelroy's big game experience, and football IQ....coming from a Gator's fan, I hated what Greg did in big games...kid produces....

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
First off I couldnt care less what those NFL network douchers say. When i was talking about talented players that dropped i was saying Jimmy smith or Wilkerson and I like them because of what i have seen from them not because of the stuff people say.

As far as Oline goes I like Carpenter but i think we could have taken him with our second round pick and drafted a shut down corner like smith with our first. All I have herd is that carpenter was slotted as a late second round pick and with all the OL that fell in the first round, his stock had dropped to about a third rounder by the time our pick came around. So even if the guy is great its still a reach, when you could get him for much less.

You have no idea if he would have been there. The teams boards look nothing like what the analysts think. He was the top player of JS & PC's board. They couldn't trade back, so they took the player THEY had rated highest on their board and the guy they wanted.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
You cant bash us hyper critical fans for reacting. The commentators, the analyst, even Nick Sabain was like WTF? when the pick was announced. It seemed a reach, and when all the analyst, and magazines, and commentary say he is a 2-3 rounder, then we say 'he's our guy', then our FO better expect some critisism. I like that we got a OT, but this guy some negative stuff too, I did my research. I read he gets confused by blitz packages, and struggles in the second level, whifs on picking up LB's in space. He's got good size, quick feet, and I heard he is a better pass protector then a run blocker, so that differs from what someone said here. He is a durable, tough, lineman though, and bottom line.... I trust in Pete and John, but we are allowed to be skeptical, Im not going to be 100% all in all the time, I just call it like I see it, doesnt mean Im right, just honest!

GO HAWKS!

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
You cant bash us hyper critical fans for reacting. The commentators, the analyst, even Nick Sabain was like WTF? when the pick was announced. It seemed a reach, and when all the analyst, and magazines, and commentary say he is a 2-3 rounder, then we say 'he's our guy', then our FO better expect some critisism. I like that we got a OT, but this guy some negative stuff too, I did my research. I read he gets confused by blitz packages, and struggles in the second level, whifs on picking up LB's in space. He's got good size, quick feet, and I heard he is a better pass protector then a run blocker, so that differs from what someone said here. He is a durable, tough, lineman though, and bottom line.... I trust in Pete and John, but we are allowed to be skeptical, Im not going to be 100% all in all the time, I just call it like I see it, doesnt mean Im right, just honest!

GO HAWKS!

Absolutely. (Yeah, I'm late in replying. Sorry.)

What I found most interesting was an email I received the next morning from an apparel site offering a Carpenter SH jersey --the day after he was selected! Does he really have that many fans? I figured other than his family and buddies, how many of these are going to sell this early?

For all I know, fans buy every jersey of every first rounder, but I sure wouldn't.

Top Bottom