• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SEAHAWKS 2011 DRAFT - Rnd 1, Pick 25: James Carpenter, OL, Alabama

Reaction score
O-Line is probably the biggest need. And he wasn't projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick, he was a mid second rounder. I wanted Smith too, but this guy is a mauler. We'll be a better running team because of him.

Reaction score
Yeah dude I'm all for taking an OL but he was a reach. Could've had Carimi... better OL IMO

Reaction score
Yeah here we go with the "zone blocking scheme" again... lets draft and sign around it only to have the line coach quit and have a shit line again : /

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I liked Carpenter, but not as a first rounder, seems like they got jobbed. Seriously did they have him above Carimi, Sherrod, Cannon, Ben Ijhamwtf? Either they know something no one else did! Or they got jobbed.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
@PeteCarroll: We're addressing the run game up front with our OL RT @TDL253: why not go for a RB??? Running game was 31st...
@PeteCarroll: We think he's the best one in the draft RT @YTMNDofTheDay: How does Carpenter rank as a run blocker among all OL in the draft?
@PeteCarroll: We had 5 trades we were considering but we liked carpenter RT @downtown105: Curious what other options you had looked at with the pick?

@Seahawks: "We have 2 young tackles. We're really excited about that," GM John Schneider said of the tandem of Carpenter and Okung
@Seahawks: Carpenter is in line to play right tackle opposite last year's first-round pick Russell Okung, Pete Carroll said
@Seahawks :The Seahawks' first-round pick, OL James Carpenter, is "tough, nasty, aggressive and solid," GM John Schneider said

Reaction score
So any chance Aaron Williams falls to us in the second?

Or maybe we move up and get him?

I know a lot of people are talking about him moving to safety, but i do believe he is and will be a good physical corner.
Plus I really like his confidence when you hear him talk and see him compete you know he believes in himself and confidence is huge.

Reaction score
You keeping saying that but i dont believe it dude.... Because he hasnt really even practiced or anything with the team, probably hasnt seen the play book.... So all they have is his UFL film.

I think that Pete wants to draft Shareece Wright i wouldnt be against it but he is a third rounder and we dont have a third round pick..... maybe he will fall to us at the 99th pick.

Who wants us to draft Casey Matthews?

Reaction score
I like the little I've seen... He's big, physical, and he defended a bigger field in a league that's way more pass happy than the NFL and did it as good or better than anyone else. I can see him translating over just as well as Cameron Wake.

We might have to make a move to get Wright.

We have bigger needs than LB to address in the 2nd round as much as I like Matthews.

Reaction score
I really wish we had a third round pick.

Also i dont think that Pete and John would be so confident in browner that it would effect their draft board.
Browner is a guy they are taking a chance on, he could be the next big thing or he could just be a crappy UFL player. So i dont really think at this point he would effect their draft plans.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Dont forget there are 7 more rounds and free agency guys. They obviously have a plan. Maybe they have Namdi in mind? =) Just trust that they have a plan and wait to see the finished product! One thing is for sure....Carpenter makes us a better team so we are still moving in the right direction!

BTW Flip, I am not sure if we are still running a zone blocking scheme with Cable. You may be right, but I get the impression they want a smashmouth football team. That is why they got Carpenter instead of a finesse guy like Sherrod who would have fit a ZBS.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
Well i'm going to pray on this pick and hope that they use him as a RT which it sounds like they are. And on top of that, i'm going to pray a decent CB will fall to us in the second and hopefull we can try to gain a 3rd rounder today. We'll see but as of now, i'm disappointed in this pick although I think when it's all said and done, Carpenter has the potential and ability to prove everyone wrong. After all, he's a big boy and having Our line stacked with Okung on one side and him on the other will be nice. When it's all over, i'm predicting our O-line to be Okung at LT, Gallery at LG, Spencer at C, Unger at RG, and Carpenter and RT which in my opinion and pretty good and will be more stable (10 different O-lines in 2010 season.)

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
John Schneider said:
I would say to a fan that they should take reassurance in the fact that we’ve been busting our tail since last May covering this guy. And that we spent countless hours the last probably eight weekends in a row just evaluating this thing, and this guy’s never changed.

If they were this confident in Carpenter, it will tell us a lot about their talent evaluation abilities and if we are stuck with another Ruskell...

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
Maybe no surprise, but I don't like the pick either. We have a lot of needs and there was plenty of available talent at this pick, not a reach to the end of round 2. Jimmy or the RB should've been the pick. Maybe Wilkerson. Obviously we all hope he works out.

Between this and the signing of a return guy right before the NFL overhauls the kick return I'm really feeling like the off-season has been a long gut check. Almost ready to root for a lockout. LOL. Not really....

PacWest

Huddler
Reaction score
I guess the majority of us here are more pessimistic, than optimistic. I am a die hard Seahawks Fan and I will always approach things optimistically when it comes to my team.

I admit I am fairly new to these forums , but I have been around long enough to see that the negativity seems to outweigh the positivity that should be taking place on this "fan site".

I guess you would rather have Mel Kiper as your GM and Mike Mayock as your Head Coach, than trust and believe in your team and your front office's approach at building on their vision of what the Seattle Seahawks future should be. Alot of you were shocked by not knowing this guy's name, who cares, are we not supposed to leave the scouting and the decision making up to the guys in charge.

If they were this confident in Carpenter, it will tell us a lot about their talent evaluation abilities and if we are stuck with another Ruskell...

Stop comparing old to new unless your not open for change. Our new front office made some really good decisions last year and I expect and trust in them to do the same this year.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Stop comparing old to new unless your not open for change. Our new front office made some really good decisions last year and I expect and trust in them to do the same this year.

I did not make a comparison. I said how Carpenter turns out will allow us to make the comparison because they were so confident. And the whole reason I would make the comparison is because I want change. We fired the old for a reason.

Top Bottom