• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Offensive Line

Better or Worse for the upcoming season?

• Total voters
OP
JustDoug

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
Ahhh! I didn't agree that they can do it. Just asked a question is all "What would impress you?" IMO here's what it comes down to: One, offensive line play, can they bulldoze for the runners? Two, can they pass protect for four seconds? Three, can they consistantly get four yards or more? Forth, are they smart enough to keep their heads in the game? Five, there are too many variables to count right now but consider Tarvarisovers. Besides, 94 baited me into the discussion pretty good, so now I am dog meat!

Essentially the team will be starting no traditional style wideouts and four tight ends in body build, so who has four strong safeties to cover them all? Nobody. That will pull the OLBs outside towards the flats (sidelines), in a 4/3 that leaves only one ILB to potentially make the kill on the play. If there are two ILBs then one of the TE's has to finish him and that leaves the other TE open to do I don't know what. A FB's dream.

Lynch had a 3.5 average last year and 573 yards. Forsett had a 4.4 yard average and 523 yards. Leon Washington had a broken wheel last year, but he is better now. Looks like I am screwed doesn't it? LOL again, I feel stupid.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Alright, on Ricky, I'll admit, looking at his stats they are impressive actually, I guess back when he was a hawk, just didnt seem like he was that explosive, but he did stumble his way and consistantly move the chains. Curt Warner and Chris Warren, are my all time favorites though, and I think that Lynch with us the next few years and this line have the possiblity do some damage. 1000 rush 400 rec 12- 100 combined; for all three backs, totally doable, not sure if lynch is that type of recieving back to get the passing, but will be the lead rushing and I think he can hit 1K this year.

Reaction score
A lot of his success will depend on how well our line plays and how well the offense is as a whole. I personally love Lynch, he may not be the best back out there now or ever to wear a Hawks uniform but sure as fuck beats what we've had recently.... Julius Jones, 50 year old Edge James or Rankin..... I love how hard he runs. He's not the most talented back speed wise, but I think he makes up for it in the way that he runs.... he fights for every inch.

Speaking of embarrasing, does anyone remember him making Patrick Willis look like his bitch last season in SF?? Don't remember if it was a pitch or a dump off in the flats, but Willis tried to tackle him and Lynch just lowered a shoulder and laid his ass out HARD!! Looked like a LB hitting a DB on a punt return.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Leon is the receiving back of this group . And we will need that dump off pass until the line gels . He may still return punts but we don't need him to catch touch backs .

OP
JustDoug

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE: I was trying to find a video on Lynch's collission with Willis of the '49ers, but came up empty. Finally did a google search for who is Marshawn Lynch's Bitch, and almost every selection was Lynch vs. The New Orlean Saints. There is a lot of video out there to prove your point though, once he gets a little momentum he's hard to stop...ask the Saints.

Idahawk: Also liked the comment on Leon. Surprised it didn't happen more last year on the second and long plays, they certainly had a lot of those opportunities. I'd pay to see an agility foot race between LW and Ricardo Lockette about now.

S

Seattlehawk94

My issue is consistency....EVERY RB has a highlight reel play or two a season....Putting up numbers week in and week out is all I care about not making E!spn's Sportscentre showoff err...Highlight reels...

OP
JustDoug

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
"My issue is consistency..." Which usually happens when you have a good offensive line! I'm not expecting miracles tonight though, as it's way to early yet. Actually expect the d-line to probably outperform the offense. There's usually what I refer to as a "Talent Exchange" that just happens between the two units on any given team.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Ya I saw an interview with Unger and he sounded like they were far from ready and a few guys were out of shape , he just kinda dodged most questions on how they looked saying it's coming along . I just hope no one gets injured .

Reaction score
My issue is consistency....EVERY RB has a highlight reel play or two a season....Putting up numbers week in and week out is all I care about not making E!spn's Sportscentre showoff err...Highlight reels...
Lynch really only had that one big run last season. Other than that, he was average, but I think everyone overlooked his performance during the season because of "Beast Quake".

Reaction score

Bro, we both know for that to occur, he needs to be running behind at least an average line. I'm not trying to be a Lynch appologist, but it's hard to blame him for everything when 75% of the time he's getting tackled by 2 or 3 guys as he's getting the ball. Also, don't think Buffalo has had a good line since he's been there. Serious question, but can anyone name a single starter on their line off the top of their heads or tell me if any of them have made the pro bowl since 2007 (Lynch's rookie year)??

I'll admit he's a little slow hitting the hole sometimes and dances around in the backfield a bit, but I think it's been almost out of necessacity. He's gotta make guys miss before he even crosses the line of scrimage.

BTW, our team fucking sucks lol....

OP
JustDoug

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
It didn't feel like a dominating performance to me when I was watching the Charger game last night, but then I woke up and looked at the stats from the Seahawks site and compared them to last pre-season...HOLY SHIT, what a difference!

During the 2010 pre-season:
Seattle had 60 first downs, opponents had 85 first downs
Seattle controled the ball for 25 minutes 16 seconds, opponents controled the ball for 34 minutes 44 seconds (avg)
During the first 2011 pre-season game with the San Diego Chargers:
Seattle had 22 first downs, Chargers had only 10 first downs (zero rushing)
Seattle controled the ball for 35 minutes 32 seconds, Chargers controled the ball for 24 minutes 28 seconds

Our team looked a whole lot better on third and short too. Moffitt's name came up early on (encouraged). IMO, the stats indicate that our line play is going from being dominated, to being dominate!

Reaction score
Lynch can be a monster, give him a decent line and wear down the opposing D-Line in the 4th quarter it would be tough to stop him from getting 5+ yards per carry. Great way to close a game out.

Forsett, I was NEVER a fan of him as a starter and I never will be but its hard to argue he isn't a productive back. He isn't fast, but he runs hard, he accelerates ridiculously fast and because he's so small he's more agile than most players on the field. He won't run away from a lot of DBs, but I like him.

Washington is the scariest player in space in the NFC West for sure. Out of the back field he's a very decisive runner, he makes one cut and heads straight up field. He's probably the best fit as far as being a ZBS style runner on this team.

HawksFan1987

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They all have their pros and cons here are my inputs:

Forsett Pros: EXCELLENT blocker (especially for his size), great hands, great edge speed.

Forsett Cons: Lacks greatly in top speed (any DB could run him down), doesnt have ideal size (argueable), also he doesnt really fit the role of skat back OR power back although id put him in the skat category.

Lynch Pros: He is the day to Julia Jones' night (LOL), probably the hardest to tackle of all non-elite RBS, great short yardage RB. Flashback to opening day of the 2009 season in Buffalo. I felt sexually assaulted.

Lynch Cons: Not a sterotypical WCO style RB, poor receiving abilities, poor acceleration.

Washington Pros: The epitome of a skat back, IMO the number three best active Kick returner in the game (Cribbs number one Hester number 2), excellent hands, about as dangerous as they come in the second level, hits the hole quickly and is a great ZBS RB.

Washington Cons: lack of size, power, and ability to get to the second level.

One unrelated thing I love about all these guys is that theyre all high character guys with great attitudes.

Let me know if i missed anything.

OP
JustDoug

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
HawksFan1987: You nailed it pretty good in regards to the RB situation. There's one topic that I'd add, and I would like to get some feadback on it if possible...

During the 1980s we saw many RBs that could leap horizontally over the line of scrimmage and pick up short yardage gains of 1-3 yards, including TDs. These days I only see it happening from Troy Polamulu (getting sacks). Is it just a lost art, or are the RBs just to big and heavy now, not as athletic perhaps? What gives?

S

Seattlehawk94

It didn't feel like a dominating performance to me when I was watching the Charger game last night, but then I woke up and looked at the stats from the Seahawks site and compared them to last pre-season...HOLY SHIT, what a difference!

During the 2010 pre-season:
Seattle had 60 first downs, opponents had 85 first downs
Seattle controled the ball for 25 minutes 16 seconds, opponents controled the ball for 34 minutes 44 seconds (avg)
During the first 2011 pre-season game with the San Diego Chargers:
Seattle had 22 first downs, Chargers had only 10 first downs (zero rushing)
Seattle controled the ball for 35 minutes 32 seconds, Chargers controled the ball for 24 minutes 28 seconds

Our team looked a whole lot better on third and short too. Moffitt's name came up early on (encouraged). IMO, the stats indicate that our line play is going from being dominated, to being dominate!

It's the PRESEASON....And one game at that..

Lynch really only had that one big run last season. Other than that, he was average, but I think everyone overlooked his performance during the season because of "Beast Quake".

AMEN....People look at one moment and think "Star"....Sheeple...

During the 1980s we saw many RBs that could leap horizontally over the line of scrimmage and pick up short yardage gains of 1-3 yards, including TDs. These days I only see it happening from Troy Polamulu (getting sacks). Is it just a lost art, or are the RBs just to big and heavy now, not as athletic perhaps? What gives?

Uh....Chris Johnson?

"My issue is consistency..." Which usually happens when you have a good offensive line! I'm not expecting miracles tonight though, as it's way to early yet. Actually expect the d-line to probably outperform the offense. There's usually what I refer to as a "Talent Exchange" that just happens between the two units on any given team.

Or, if your a GREAT RB you don't need a line....Barry Sanders ran behind 5 guys named Bob and rushed for 1,500 in his sleep....Chris Johnson (see above) has an OKAY line and runs like a madman...

OP
JustDoug

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
Seattlehawk94: You make things interesting, but you also help validate my point too. Barry Sanders type of impact RBs are a very rare commodity. If your team isn't that lucky, then the next option is to get five quality Bobs upfront.

It's worth noting that Barry didn't have the five quality Bobs upfront, therefore no passing game worth mentioning, and no championships to speak of. Use the force inside your noggin, and I bet even you can name some teams that had mediocre RBs & stellar O-lines, and won championships.

S

Seattlehawk94

Sanders Lions teams issue at QB wasn't the OL, Scott Mitchell had an EXCELLENT season behind that OL...Moore and Perriman caught 100 passes each one season....It was the fact that other than that season they had shitty QB play....Undreware, Mr. Holly Robinson, Dave War, Mitchell, Kramer from Seinfeld, and many others equal many choke jobs...

As for "winning championships with mediocre RBs"....The Aint's, the Packers (last two times they won), the '76 Faiders, the '87 Deadskins, and the pre-Dillon Pats come to mind off the top of my head...

Thanks for the condesending "even you" comment though....I've forgotten more things about the NFL than most people out there ever knew in their lifetimes....haha...Must know some shit because I'm the one most people ask around these parts when there is a question about the history of the game....Don't know how we got along without your "knowledge" in the 8 years of this site until now....

OP
JustDoug

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
94: I'm not being condesending or antagonistic. Did I play on words, and stick up for people named Bob? I did. I said you make things interesting, and I meant it. I thought you made the site a lot of fun, but befor I make an enemy, I'll leave.

S

Seattlehawk94

Thanks for the compliments...Sorry that I took it wrong.....You keep it interesting and know your shit, glad you are on the site!

P.S. Takes alot longer to make enemies here....Everyone is passionate and flips shit back and forth but we are pretty much all cool with each other...

Top Bottom