• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Matt Flynn Official Discussion Thread

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Flynn yet, but I acknowledge he was the best option we had to obtain a QB since Schnider and Carrol took over. We can still draft and develop a guy behind him.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I was referring to your statement about drafting "my guy" the first year....

That would be ideal, but unless I am missing something, that "guy" wasnt there.

100% agree. Who was the guy that was "their guy?" The only one I can even remotely see is passing on Dalton last year. But maybe there was something they did not like about him.

Reaction score
They said they were really close to taking Dalton with that pick, they just decided that addressing the O-line was the biggest need.

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
So by your method of thinking, Ida, the Packers were stupid for going with Rodgers over Favre because Rodgers was Favre's back up for 4 years...

And no one is crowning him (except maybe 94 and szat), but merely excited at the possibility. You CAN be excited at his potential. It is okay. It is allowable. I promise.
...and Flynn makes good things happen!

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Flynn yet, but I acknowledge he was the best option we had to obtain a QB since Schnider and Carrol took over. We can still draft and develop a guy behind him.
Just hope he airs it out to Ricardo Lockette, and we don't hear from down south anymore!

Idahawk

Reaction score
So by your method of thinking, Ida, the Packers were stupid for going with Rodgers over Favre because Rodgers was Favre's back up for 4 years...

And no one is crowning him (except maybe 94 and szat), but merely excited at the possibility. You CAN be excited at his potential. It is okay. It is allowable. I promise.

Rodgers was a first round pick and Farve was coming in and out of retirement daily. I'm not against back-ups making it in the NFL , were just not good at finding one who will.

Idahawk

Reaction score

Rodgers was a first round pick and Farve was coming in and out of retirement daily. I'm not against back-ups making it in the NFL , were just not good at finding one who will.

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if our team could trade seventh round talent for 2nd & 3rd round talent for a change?

I'm spent here,
Whitehurst

Reaction score
...and Ricardo Lockette couldn't catch either. Aren't you the one that told me that? Yup!

I know dude, super sorry. I was totally wrong about an undrafted track guy (Jordan Kent cough cough) out of Fort Valley State who caught like 20 passes in his college career. Im sure I was alone in thinking so.... :/

I've already admitted I was wrong about him. He looked great at the tail end of the season and I've already posted several times that I think he may develop into the bonofide deep threat this team hasn't had in a long time.

And why you getting all bent out of shape? I was simply letting you know that there was a thread about the new site layout.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score

I would argue that we have not really tried. Sure they might have seen something in Whitehurst, but it was clear that they were skeptical based on the deal they gave him. Jackson was a stop gap. Nothing more. I think Flynn is the first real back up they have brought in with the true hope that he is something more.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I would argue that we have not really tried. Sure they might have seen something in Whitehurst, but it was clear that they were skeptical based on the deal they gave him. Jackson was a stop gap. Nothing more. I think Flynn is the first real back up they have brought in with the true hope that he is something more.

A stop gap to what ? Another stop gap. They didn't have to pay Whitehurst anything he was a back up , he got back up money . Even though everyone says we got off cheap with Flynn, we paid twice as much as Miami offered for him. The cost of hope is steep up in here .

Idahawk

Reaction score
In fact we do know, and he was not. I wish it was as simple as you suggest but it just is not.

Do we need to list the starting QB's that are playing for other teams over the last 3 years ? Drafted and starting ! With the rookie salary cap you can afford a Ponder or a Dalton , why isn't it simple? You certainly won't find out unless you try.

Reaction score
Ponder went 12th overall to the Vikings... should the Seahawks have traded up from 25 to snatch him up??

Ponder looked less than mediocore last season. I was high on him coming out, but as a 2nd or 3rd rounder who needed was a good 2 or 3 seasons on the bench before he's ready to start. The only reason he got to play last year because McNabb threw for 35 yards passing in a game... and the other option was Joe Webb (drafted to play WR), who he was benched in favor of a couple times.

Dalton, like I said before, everyone whiffed on him. If everyone had though/known he was going to be so successful so fast, he wouldve been drafted before Locker, Ponder, Gabbart and another half dozen teams in need of a good QB.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
A stop gap to what ? Another stop gap. They didn't have to pay Whitehurst anything he was a back up , he got back up money . Even though everyone says we got off cheap with Flynn, we paid twice as much as Miami offered for him. The cost of hope is steep up in here .

1. A stop gap to another QB, obviously.
2. You know how much Miami offered? I've not seen that information and would love to see it.

Do we need to list the starting QB's that are playing for other teams over the last 3 years ? Drafted and starting ! With the rookie salary cap you can afford a Ponder or a Dalton , why isn't it simple? You certainly won't find out unless you try.

This is where you lose me. Who gives a shit if you are trying with a guy who has already been drafted by another team and just has not gotten his shot because he is sitting behind a Pro Bowler/All Pro/Super Bowl MVP v. reaching? It seems to me that you just care that we are not drafting a QB rather than looking at the quality of the QB. Ponder??? REALLY? Why does he have any more upside or potential than Flynn does? To your own words, no one is good at predicting how good a QB will be. So what difference does it matter where we get the QB? Of course you also say that you are not against back ups making it, but you would have drafted "your guy" your first year here (which, as #ONE pointed out would have been Tebow, Clausen, McCoy or any others that have started AND failed already).

I guess basically because the rookie wage scale is cheap, you just want to throw draft picks at the QB position and hope one sticks. Is that right?

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
1. A stop gap to another QB, obviously.
2. You know how much Miami offered? I've not seen that information and would love to see it.
?

Article came out yesterday that Maimi low balled him, like 4M a year deal. Still we got him at a reasonable price, we didnt have to give up the kings ransom (see Kolb) and we dont have him locked up with a bunch of gaurentees.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Until he hits the field there is nobody wrong or right in this topic, I am merely guessing at this from what information I have . I really could care less because its a done deal. I really don't need a whole crystal ball look at it and why this and that or he or him could be this or that. That could go on forever.

To your own words, no one is good at predicting how good a QB will be.

That's right so you have to look at the the information and opinions and take a guess.

Draft Stock That's a lot of people making educated guesses as to why a guy is a 1st or 2nd round pick or a 7th round pick. I'll side with the 1000's of people that looked at Flynn and said back-up.

Am I supposed to just throw out everything about the projections and evaluation process and not think that the odds are better with a high draft pick as opposed to some guy that's barely done shit or that I hope can ? We are just guessing Right ? My guess is ya Tannehill or Ponder should be better then Flynn.

And no I am getting into a Ponder debate, just an example.

I think everyone is so caught up in it not being TJ anymore and not looking at Why Miami passed even with Philbin knowing the QB very well , Cleveland passed and all the other factors to leave me at least very skeptical. You have the Kolb factor as well . It being a low risk , no other option deal doesn't make his arm stronger either.

I really don't care that some people don't place stock in where a guy is drafted , I do Rags to riches stories are few and far between at the Qb position. Better QB's come higher in the draft in most cases. I said most cases.

Yes
Bottom line is I want to throw better quality QB's at the position and see if one sticks. What's wrong with that ?I want the best guy for the job , if its Flynn great ! If not then we have repeated the same mistake again and would look pretty stupid. I just feel that Flynn isn't the right guy.

Were banking on a strong defense and a QB manager to win ,meanwhile the two teams from last year's Super bowl were ranked 27 and 31 in D , Its QB play that's winning games now. So we either need to draft an Eli or hope for a Brady ? Which one are you taking ?

I'll STFU about it , if after this guy we can agree that 3 and out is enough with back-ups. LOL

Here's the link on Miami offer , I heard it on NFL network as well , but it could be BS.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seah...t-hawks-nearly-doubled-miamis-offer-to-flynn/

Top Bottom