• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Matt Flynn Official Discussion Thread

Idahawk

Reaction score
He has to win job from Jackson. Worst case scenario... he doesn't do enough to win the job and a healthy T-Jack is our starter. Whle jackson isn't a great QB, I think he is good enough to win with because of what we have around him and on defense. Also, Flynn is not "pretty much a rookie." He has waited, no just to "year 2-3," but to year 5, he's learned under some great coaches, now he's coming to a very similar offensive scheme.

"pretty much " was giving him some credit . We are not the Packers and outside of both teams having some connection to the WCO to say "very similar offensive scheme " is speculation, no offense. Bevel was not with the Packers under McCarthy and or Flynn and PC has no connection with that coaching tree at all to my knowledge. I'll give you a few terms and maybe a few plays here and there , but its not going to be the packers playbook.

I think if he doesn't work out that you will the us sell the Farm for Barkley next year.

Reaction score
Favre when he went to the vikings and played for Bevell said the the offenses are almost identical. Flynn also said that right after he signed here.

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
Yes, low risk. Only $10 million guaranteed.

I think Carpenter could be a "monster guard" I'd like to get a tackle and move him to LG because he's a crappy tackle. I think we should find one a little later in the draft and take Kuechley, Ingram, or Coples in the first.

As for no winning seasons... What have you been expecting? Because so far this coaching staff has done nothing but exceed my expectations.

Bob, I really like reading your opinions and comments, but my own is a little different this go around:

1 - Carpenter played guard last year and made no positive difference in the game, and that's how he plays tackle too. The guy was a bad draft pick, a reach, and an over all bust. Better player was available to choose with, and the brass tanked the decision. Now carpainter can't even play anything but video games. Many others thought the same at the time.

2 - What was I expecting? Well for starters.......How about STARTERS!!! This o-line has six high draft picks on it counting the tight ends , and only one returning starter....Max Unger. There is no complete and utter bust in football more glaring than this offensive line.

3 - If this coaching staff doesn't make good with the new QB, then they will have gone three years without a winning season, and that would land most of them in the getting fired category, especially if their isn't much hope in that fourth year.

To answer your question, look about two and a half inches above in this posting. And for god sakes, expect better than losing seasons, one after the other, after another, or that is all we'll get. I'd like our offense on the field more, just saying.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I see it like this, yes we have done some really great things at some positions. But we are not so hot at the QB evaluations to this point . These are the guys that signed Whitehurst to compete with MH, Cut MH, Signed TJ, named him starter????? and now were back to a QB competition where we started, supposedly ?
Meanwhile the years are going by and we are losing ground to teams that are making moves to win and trust me SF has added some very nice pieces to an already strong team .

We went after Manning so were willing to spend and do what it takes to get the right guy , your going to have to give up picks next year and just do it . Enough of the bargain basement shopping, finishing 7-9 and just out of reach of a quality starter in the draft .

Reaction score
Bob, I really like reading your opinions and comments, but my own is a little different this go around:

1 - Carpenter played guard last year and made no positive difference in the game, and that's how he plays tackle too. The guy was a bad draft pick, a reach, and an over all bust. Better player was available to choose with, and the brass tanked the decision. Now carpainter can't even play anything but video games. Many others thought the same at the time.

2 - What was I expecting? Well for starters.......How about STARTERS!!! This o-line has six high draft picks on it counting the tight ends , and only one returning starter....Max Unger. There is no complete and utter bust in football more glaring than this offensive line.

3 - If this coaching staff doesn't make good with the new QB, then they will have gone three years without a winning season, and that would land most of them in the getting fired category, especially if their isn't much hope in that fourth year.

To answer your question, look about two and a half inches above in this posting. And for god sakes, expect better than losing seasons, one after the other, after another, or that is all we'll get. I'd like our offense on the field more, just saying.

When did Carpenter play Guard? I didn't see him playing guard ever.

One returning o-lineman? Actually there's only one departing lineman that was a starter, and that's Gallery.

Consiidering the state this roster was in when they took over there's no possible way anyone could realistically expect a winning season. I love the talent being brought in to this team, its a process, it doesn't happen overnight.

Also, what would YOU do at QB. Keeping in mind that we did express interest in Manning and he basically didn't even acknowledge us... Luck and Griffin are out of our reach. Kolb? We were probably too low to trade up to get Gabbert or Ponder. Locker went too high. Newton was way out of reach. Dalton was there, but the line was in terrible shape. That had to be their top priority in the draft, whether or not they made the right decision is definitely up for debate. But putting a rookie or a pretty fragile old vet like Matt behind that line probably wouldn't have worked out well.

Reaction score
Idk if its an arguement.... It's a legit question. You guys don't like what the Hawks are doing at the QB position. I sincerely want to hear what you would've done...

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the site!

Thanks!

I am more excited about Flynn than I would be for RG3 or Luck for the exact reason that he is no rookie. He knows NFL and he has shown he can produce in the league. Being left on the bench behind Aaron Rodgers is no shame. I would say the same would happen to any QB in the league if they played in the same team with the MVP...

He is a risk, as any not-yet-established player is, but he is a better bet than any rookie. What I´m a bit worried about is the fact that T-Jack seems to be in Carrolls favour. He is his guy.. Whereas Flynn comes in as someone who the general manager was interested in. But I hope Carroll really makes it an open competition. If Flynn cant beat Tarvaris in that, why should he start? He has the training camp to become Carrolls guy and the whole season to become our guy. Only after that we will see how good a signing this was. To me he just makes the whole thing much much more interesting.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Idk if its an arguement.... It's a legit question. You guys don't like what the Hawks are doing at the QB position. I sincerely want to hear what you would've done...

I would have drafted my guy the first year I was there and not messed with other teams back-ups.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Doug - I know you love to talk OL, but why so dismal man?
Carpenter was a reach but him and moffit were rookies, dont you think your using the "bust" card on J.C. is alittle early?
I like unger at center too, moffit played okay, and okung if healthy (i kno; big if..) is considered a pro bowl LT. We have great depth now with Giacomini, McQuistan, Omiyale, ect. The only hudge liability last year was Gallary and he's gone.
We were much improved on the line last year, and it showed in our run game expecially. Do you really give us that shitty of an outlook in the trenches? Im concerned.
That said, Im still a fan of getting DeCastro at 12, but he would be plugged in at LG I think, unless we wanted to swap Moffitt.

Flynn is not a bust, he is the lowest risk QB you could possibly have in there. He may not be elite, but he will win the starting job, and is an upgrade over Tjack, who wasnt even that bad last year.

My 2012 preditction/expectation 9-7

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
When did Carpenter play Guard? I didn't see him playing guard ever.

One returning o-lineman? Actually there's only one departing lineman that was a starter, and that's Gallery.

Consiidering the state this roster was in when they took over there's no possible way anyone could realistically expect a winning season. I love the talent being brought in to this team, its a process, it doesn't happen overnight.

Also, what would YOU do at QB. Keeping in mind that we did express interest in Manning and he basically didn't even acknowledge us... Luck and Griffin are out of our reach. Kolb? We were probably too low to trade up to get Gabbert or Ponder. Locker went too high. Newton was way out of reach. Dalton was there, but the line was in terrible shape. That had to be their top priority in the draft, whether or not they made the right decision is definitely up for debate. But putting a rookie or a pretty fragile old vet like Matt behind that line probably wouldn't have worked out well.

"When did Carpenter play Guard? I didn't see him playing guard ever."
Answer: He filled in for Gallery last season. That was when we got the comment from PC, Breno has alowed us to do this, or some such speak.

"One returning o-lineman? Actually there's only one departing lineman that was a starter, and that's Gallery."
Observation: Both tackles are looking at starting this season on the pup list. That's not starting games. Moffitt I hear, can't participate in the OTA's, may be available for the pre-season, or maybe not. TE's really took a beating trying to help compensate for the tackles. My hat is off for Zach Miller, that dude played with a lot of guts.

"Also, what would YOU do at QB. Keeping in mind that we did express interest in Manning and he basically didn't even acknowledge us... Luck and Griffin are out of our reach. Kolb...?"
Opinion: I've never been good at predicting how good hurlers do in either baseball or football. In hindsight, the Whitehurst deal probably cost the team that developmental QB a lot of other people are talking about acquiring today. Tarvaris's QB rating of 80 isn't all that bad, considering it's ten points higher that MH had in his last three brittle years here. Manning's the type of gun slinger that I'd like to see, but a younger version, just not him at this age. Flynn may just be the best option at this point. I've never seen a bad QB behind a good offensive line, so I'd upgrade my line.

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
Doug - I know you love to talk OL, but why so dismal man?
Carpenter was a reach but him and moffit were rookies, dont you think your using the "bust" card on J.C. is alittle early?
I like unger at center too, moffit played okay, and okung if healthy (i kno; big if..) is considered a pro bowl LT. We have great depth now with Giacomini, McQuistan, Omiyale, ect. The only hudge liability last year was Gallary and he's gone.
We were much improved on the line last year, and it showed in our run game expecially. Do you really give us that shitty of an outlook in the trenches? Im concerned.
That said, Im still a fan of getting DeCastro at 12, but he would be plugged in at LG I think, unless we wanted to swap Moffitt.

Flynn is not a bust, he is the lowest risk QB you could possibly have in there. He may not be elite, but he will win the starting job, and is an upgrade over Tjack, who wasnt even that bad last year.

My 2012 preditction/expectation 9-7
Carpenter had to be pulled from the line, because he was serving up so many QB sandwiches, not acceptable for a high first rounder on any team other than maybe Quiznos. Unger was returning from injury, so I expected the least from him, and he performed the best, and the loss of Chris spencer has me tickled pink to this very day. Roll call on game days has to be considered part of the overall picture, but I completely agree with your entire post.

Reaction score
I would have drafted my guy the first year I was there and not messed with other teams back-ups.

Who would've been "my guy"? It's easy to say and not go into detail.

I think every team in need of a QB would just draft "their guy" every year, and be done with it. Wouldn't that be nice?

Let’s take a look at the QBs drafted in 2010: Bradford by the Rams first overall…. No chance.

Next QB taken, Tebow…. Was Tebow their guy??

Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, John Skelton, Mike Kafka….. their guys??

And 2011, the whole NFL whiffed on Andy Dalton… NO ONE was high on him coming out. After the Bengals drafted him, coupled with the Carson Palmer hold out, everyone expected them to go 2-14. If everyone knew he was going to be soooo good, why didn’t the Jags, Vikes, Titans etc draft him??

Its easy to sit there and throw out empty statements cause you’re not happy with the QB situation. I will be the firs to admit I was calling for Petes head last year after they didn’t resign Matt, and signed TJack instead. I could’ve sworn he was purposely building this team to “suck for Luck”. I was wrong. He knew his options to obtain a franchise QB those first two years were limited. Instead, they focused on building up the O-Line, defense, and addressed our running game.

This looks like the year that they finally had a legit chance to address the QB position. They pursued Manning. No luck there. So they went after the “next best thing” in Matt Flynn. I put that in quotes, because, I personally think, if he pans out, Flynn is a better option because he would be a long term answer at the position and not a 1 or 2 year stop gap with 4 neck surgeries.

Long story short, this isn’t Madden Franchise mode. Rebuilding a really bad team takes time. Pete and John have approached this thing the right way. They rebuild the lines and have added play makers all over the place. They didn’t draft some young kid and throw him to the wolves. Instead they threw guys like Hasselbeck, Whitehurst and TJack. Guys no one had high expectations for. They used them to weather the storm. Now that the team is just about complete-they have added what we all hope to be the final piece….

Idahawk

Reaction score
"Also, what would YOU do at QB. Keeping in mind that we did express interest in Manning and he basically didn't even acknowledge us... Luck and Griffin are out of our reach. Kolb...?"
Opinion: I've never been good at predicting how good hurlers do in either baseball or football. In hindsight, the Whitehurst deal probably cost the team that developmental QB a lot of other people are talking about acquiring today.

Nobody is good at predicting how good a QB will be. And with Flynn its even more of a guess then with a kid straight from college , at least you have 3-4 years of games to look at. This guy had what one season at LSU as the starter and 2 1/2 games in the NFL ? But he's got 5 years in GB ??? Well good for him, that means nothing until he plays a 16 game season and shows what he's got , its all guesswork.

5 years in GB, cheap deal and best we could do . Thats a ton to hang your hat on !

Idahawk

Reaction score
Empty statements ???? I'm supposed to watch a couple game films and be sold on Flynn ? I'm happy for the cake and marshmallow party that most are having over Flynn, but count me out. I need to see the guy for an entire season before I'm going to crown him.

Reaction score
Empty statements ???? I'm supposed to watch a couple game films and be sold on Flynn ? I'm happy for the cake and marshmallow party that most are having over Flynn, but count me out. I need to see the guy for an entire season before I'm going to crown him.

I was referring to your statement about drafting "my guy" the first year....

That would be ideal, but unless I am missing something, that "guy" wasnt there.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
So by your method of thinking, Ida, the Packers were stupid for going with Rodgers over Favre because Rodgers was Favre's back up for 4 years...

And no one is crowning him (except maybe 94 and szat), but merely excited at the possibility. You CAN be excited at his potential. It is okay. It is allowable. I promise.

Top Bottom