• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Matt Flynn Official Discussion Thread

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Let's try and keep this thread a little more civilized, please. With that, I figure I would throw out a video of Flynn in the Lions game to discuss.

What do you like? What do you not like?

Passepartout

Huddler
Reaction score
He will do well as now he can have the chance to be a starter. Which he could not do in GB as long as Rodgers was around unfortunately.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Flynn shows command and leadership in the huddle and at the LOS. He makes pre-snap reads and adjustments. Seems to have command of the play book by checking out of plays and calling audibles, even more so it seemed then A. Rogers even does. Play action and drops back well, shows good foot work and stands strong in the pocket. I was very impressed at his ability to read blitzes and hit his check downs expecially int he Detriot game, two of these when for huge gains (TD). He is systematic in going through his reads, often getting to his 3rd option, looks off safeties and does not telegraph his intentions. He does not panic or make hasty decisions and doesnt seem to fear getting hit. Stands in and delivers the ball with good follow through even while being hit, has an extremely quick release and finds the open target. I noticed alot of balls were slightly under thrown, alot of catches being at the back hip of the target. Flynn does seem to have decent accuracy but has a funny leg kick motion when throwns, and does not deliver a pretty tight spiral. He can make all the throws including the deep flag and post route. I think he most accurate delivering the crossing or post routes across the middle, this indicates to me that has the measurables (height) to see over the LOS w/o having to roll out. Thats another plus, he has good speed and physicallity and can scramble well when needed. Some of the intangibles that I really like, is his composure and his competitive nature. Gets excited and the team pumped up, but doesnt seem to get rattled when things go bad (pick).

Thats my layman unprofessional assessment of flynn in the detriot game, open to comment and critisism.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I definitely agree on some of the short throws. I think his receivers bailed him out.

One thing that I noticed, he tossed a horrid interception that was nullified because of a penalty. It was all around bad, though. He was lucky. (I'll edit the post if I watch the video again with the exact time point.)

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
Thanks for the new thread 18.

My feelings are along the lines of szat's, but I'm also taking in the game he played against New England. The link...

Lots of duress during that game, and mistakes will be made if you throw the ball around enough, still Flynn has that flair for making something happen that we haven't seen in a while. The double coverage so what attitude isn't likely to work with this set of hawk receivers. The team might want to consider playing a safety on passing downs!

All in all, this unpaid head coach of nothing other than many versions of John Madden Football starts Flynn immediately. QB competition is between Jackson & Portis.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed in both clips is too much time in the shotgun. And the few plays from under center, at least from what I remember, did not go well. That is somewhat concerning.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Bringing in Lumpkin was a good move, Flynn saves the play alot by dumping off to HB/FB's.

Reaction score
Call me crazy.... but the more I watch these videos, the more Flynn reminds me of Favre. Not saying he's going to be Favre, or anything even close to him. I just see similarities in the way he carries himself. That slight arrogant over confidence Brett had about himself. I see it a little in Flynn. Also, the way he celebrates with his teammates and gets everyone pumped up after a big play.....

I've seen the same traits in Hasselbeck and Rodgers too, so might just be a Green Bay thing lol

Idahawk

Reaction score
I guess when nobody really knows the answer to the Flynn mystery , its better to be kind in your words then face the wrath of twitterverse. When you had the choice of TJ, Flynn or Tannehill I suppose we did the only thing we could. The best things people are saying is it was great deal for us, which for me isn't saying much at all. If this fails not sure how it works out for PC . Whitehurst -fail, TJ- Fail, Alexander Supertramp TBD

Reaction score
If this fails, he signed a low risk contract so PC should be ok. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a project QB (I've mentioned Chandler Harnish a few times) and developed him in case Flynn didn't work out.

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
Low risk...??? Flynn better work out!!! We're talking about a coaching staff with no winning seasons here.
Now draft me a monster guard, and keep our offense on the field longer than the defense for a change.

Top fifteen draft picks don't come around very often if the team is winning a lot of games.

Reaction score
Yes, low risk. Only $10 million guaranteed.

I think Carpenter could be a "monster guard" I'd like to get a tackle and move him to LG because he's a crappy tackle. I think we should find one a little later in the draft and take Kuechley, Ingram, or Coples in the first.

As for no winning seasons... What have you been expecting? Because so far this coaching staff has done nothing but exceed my expectations.

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
I have nothing but respect for Tarvaris. He did his best and even played with a torn pec, but a team can only get so far with limited talent in QB position. I think Tarvaris has some talent and will be a perfect back up QB since he not injury prone and can perform in a high level, so the team will not be completely lost should something happen to the starter.

We dont know much about Flynn yet, but he has shown nothing but promise. There is no reason to undermine that. Offcourse he can be a bust but atleast there is a lot to look forward to next season, whereas starting with Tarvaris would have been the same old story. Seahawks has talent in the roster now, not just in some hazy distant future so the signing of Flynn can be the difference maker here. He makes decisions well and makes accurate short throws to small windows. Pretty much two of the most important things for a modern QB. That together with a solid running game means trouble for the opponents defense. This does not mean we necessarily win the super bowl next season, but if everything works in the best possible way, why not?

Reaction score
I have nothing but respect for Tarvaris. He did his best and even played with a torn pec, but a team can only get so far with limited talent in QB position. I think Tarvaris has some talent and will be a perfect back up QB since he not injury prone and can perform in a high level, so the team will not be completely lost should something happen to the starter.

We dont know much about Flynn yet, but he has shown nothing but promise. There is no reason to undermine that. Offcourse he can be a bust but atleast there is a lot to look forward to next season, whereas starting with Tarvaris would have been the same old story. Seahawks has talent in the roster now, not just in some hazy distant future so the signing of Flynn can be the difference maker here. He makes decisions well and makes accurate short throws to small windows. Pretty much two of the most important things for a modern QB. That together with a solid running game means trouble for the opponents defense. This does not mean we necessarily win the super bowl next season, but if everything works in the best possible way, why not?

First off, welcome to the site!

Nice first post, I think most of us would echo most of what you said.

I've been pleasantly surprised with being 7-9 the past two seasons... This season though I think most of us are expecting more... Expecting to win, I'm suure that makes most of us seattle sports fans a little bit nervous. Even if Flynn only makes us Marginally improved at QB we should be alright... Having a great running game, defense, and kick/punt returner means iif we can just protect the ball
Through the air we should still be able to be in games even against tough competition.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Yes, low risk. Only $10 million guaranteed.

I think Carpenter could be a "monster guard" I'd like to get a tackle and move him to LG because he's a crappy tackle. I think we should find one a little later in the draft and take Kuechley, Ingram, or Coples in the first.

As for no winning seasons... What have you been expecting? Because so far this coaching staff has done nothing but exceed my expectations.

The guy is basically a rookie and is huge risk ? F the money , that has nothing to do with being able to play Most Qbs don't even get IT until year 2-3 so I don't expect much, more of the same actually.

Reaction score
He has to win job from Jackson. Worst case scenario... he doesn't do enough to win the job and a healthy T-Jack is our starter. Whle jackson isn't a great QB, I think he is good enough to win with because of what we have around him and on defense. Also, Flynn is not "pretty much a rookie." He has waited, no just to "year 2-3," but to year 5, he's learned under some great coaches, now he's coming to a very similar offensive scheme.

Top Bottom