• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

hate to be clichè, but...

What is our biggest need this offseason?

• Future QB

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • RB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WR

• TE

• OL

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • DE

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • DT

• LB

• CB

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Safety

• Total voters
Reaction score
Fenom;53923 said:
Ichiro:
2010 - .754 OPS | 113 OPS+ | 4.5 WAR
2009 - .851 OPS | 129 OPS+ | 5.4 WAR
2008 - .747 OPS | 102 OPS+ | 5.4 WAR

Jose Lopez:
2010 - .609 OPS | 071 OPS+ | 1.6 WAR
2009 - .766 OPS | 103 OPS+ | 1.7 WAR
2008 - .764 OPS | 103 OPS+ | 3.9 WAR

Ichiro is obviously better than Lopez and the WAR stat shows Ichiro is a more valuable offensive player as well.

I wouldn't have said anything more if you didn't make that statement that you did. I gave my opinion, then you called it the most retarded thing you have ever read on here. That's a pretty screwed up statement considering the things that have been said on here.

Trading Ichiro will help the Mariners out a lot. If he stays, he will continue to rack up his hits while the team will continue putting up losing records. If you trade him, the team will get a decent amount of young talent and Ichiro will have a shot at winning the World Series. Yes, the team will continue putting up losing records, but at least they will have more young talent for the future.

To be fair, I haven't been on this form long enough, or consistent enough for my statement to really mean much :) Sorry.

But, Ichiro wont warrant much talent in return.. He's 37 years-old, while he may not play like that. From the mind of a front office, he's on the decline. Age is a huge factor in any trade, unless you're a player like Barry Bonds, or Pujols (who I'm aware is still young), or really anyone who's going to conjure enough offense to make a big enough impact. Ichiro isn't that player, he's a great player, but he's not the "impact" player most teams target. Ichiro could probably land us a major league ready, high-end B talent player, along with some high up-side low class-A talent. We for damn sure wont get a Smoak in return for him. At this point, you're better off hanging onto a guy like Ichiro, so guys like Ackley can garner some traits that Ichiro possesses.

Oh, and the 200+ hits that come along with it. ;)

Lastly, you trade Ichiro, you lost ticket sales, you lose money, which leads to less money the team gets to spend in the off-season. Ichiro is accountable for probably 50% of all merchandise sold, along with the Japanese audience they get anywhere in the US. The team needs Ichiro.

My bad if I offended you :D

Reaction score
K... first off GB's receivers are average/slight-above average size. Jennings (5'11"), Driver (6'0"), James (6'1") and Jordy is the only tall one at 6'3".

Curry would be a beast in a 3-4 D imo. He has the size to play the hybried DE/OLB. Rushing off the edge from a 2 point stance would fit him best. He has the speed and strength for it. I don't expect anything spectacular from him. I just wish he could cover better and play better against the run.

Reaction score
BTW-and not trying to be a douche, but why do you guys randomly start baseball discussions in hawks topics... don't we have an MLB section on this forum??

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
Eh, it happens lol.

I kind of hope we sign an old wiley LB to mentor Curry. Like if Derrick Brooks was still playing, that type of guy.

Reaction score
I find it difficult for the front office to move away from Whitehurst, especially with what they had to gave up just to get him.

The defensive line has shown it can be fairly dominant with Bryant in there, and with Clemons/Brock emerging as a pretty good rush duo, I think they focus on the secondary.

Our LB crew has been somewhat of a concern the last few seasons, but they're learning new schemes every year. This is the first time in 3 years, that they wont have to re-adjust, and learn a new system.

Offensively, besides a QB, they need a threat. Every single offensive weapon the Hawks have is severely underwhelming. They need an impact player on the offensive side of the ball, to build this team around.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
I think the front office now realizes the Whitehurstt deal was a mistake and that moving away from him being our future starter is in our best interest. We have some weapons on offense, but their either still pretty raw or they just aren't a big play threat. Lynch, Williams, Stokely, and Forsett are all solid players but they aren't really threats to take it 80 yards usually. Washington is, but he was under-untilized on offense, especially after Tate got hurt and stopped returning punts. They were probably trying to limit his work load since he was a little beat up all season and he's coming off a nasty injury. Morrah is a pretty decent big play threat for a TE. We've got a lot of potential there, it just isn't here yet.

tonos253

Huddler
Reaction score
I would really rather upgrade the defense than the offense. Fix up the right side of the OL and develop a run game. I don't have a problem with the receiver position as much as the CB or the Poor tackling of the team.

S

Seattlehawk94

"but most importantly, it's to get on base. There isn't a player in the majors who does that better than Ichiro.."

Uh...THAT might be the most retarded thing I've ever read on this forum...His BEST times on base IN HIS CAREER is only 257th in baseball history behind such noted "batsmen" as Carlos Delgado, Mike Sweeney, Mike Hargrove, haha....And MANY MANY MANY OTHERS....There are PLENTY OF CURRENT PLAYERS WHO DO A MUCH BETTER JOB OF "GETTING ON BASE" THAN SLAPCHOP...

Single-Season Leaders &amp Records for Times On Base - Baseball-Reference.com

For what SlapChop does, he's the MOST over rated player in MLB currently by his fanbase, outside of Seattle he's pretty much seen as he is....He doesn't WALK, he steals WHEN HE WANTS TO, and he's like DiMaggio chasing a fly ball--he won't try for it if there's a risk he'll look bad, can't drive in runs, can't hit the long ball, and has a surly attitude with the fans and media (mea noa speaka Engrish)...Fuck him....I've called him garbage for years....

For those who say "leadoff hitter are supposed to get on base"...BULLSHIT...Look at Rickey Henderson, he could put you on the board 1-0 on the first pitch of the game...What's MORE VALUABLE? A 1-0 or a guy hitting a single and risking getting stranded?

S

Seattlehawk94

RockOutWithYourHawkOut;53935 said:
I find it difficult for the front office to move away from Whitehurst, especially with what they had to gave up just to get him.

Uh...They aren't Holmgren, they admit when they make mistakes and don't keep around loose weight just because they gave up something for it---LenDale White for example..

There is a ton of teams looking for QBs, his stock is up after that Lambs game....They will move 'em if we draft a QB...

Reaction score
Seattlehawk94;53943 said:
Uh...They aren't Holmgren, they admit when they make mistakes and don't keep around loose weight just because they gave up something for it---LenDale White for example..

There is a ton of teams looking for QBs, his stock is up after that Lambs game....They will move 'em if we draft a QB...
LenDale White is a perfect example. They should definitely draft a QB, but it won't be with their 1st or 2nd round picks unless a QB falls that they like a lot.

Reaction score
Seattlehawk94;53942 said:
"but most importantly, it's to get on base. There isn't a player in the majors who does that better than Ichiro.."

Uh...THAT might be the most retarded thing I've ever read on this forum...His BEST times on base IN HIS CAREER is only 257th in baseball history behind such noted "batsmen" as Carlos Delgado, Mike Sweeney, Mike Hargrove, haha....And MANY MANY MANY OTHERS....There are PLENTY OF CURRENT PLAYERS WHO DO A MUCH BETTER JOB OF "GETTING ON BASE" THAN SLAPCHOP...

There are many ways of getting on base, whether it be via a walk, or just a hit. Ichiro is the best contact hitter in all of baseball, and arguably the best contact hitter the game has ever seen. Ichiro can manufacture a hit any way he can, hence the high number of infield hits. While Ricky Henderson might be the "prototypical leadoff man" -- his numbers aren't too far from Ichiros, and Henderson was a beast. Henderson never even sniffed 200 hits in a season. The reason why the players you mention have just as much success on the bases as Ichiro is because they'll get walked 100+ times in a season, they also hit in the 3-5 spots in the lineup, where stats show are the most likely to see more balls outside their strikezone. You don't put up an average of 6.0-6.5 WAR if you're a bad player...

For what SlapChop does, he's the MOST over rated player in MLB currently by his fanbase, outside of Seattle he's pretty much seen as he is....He doesn't WALK, he steals WHEN HE WANTS TO, and he's like DiMaggio chasing a fly ball--he won't try for it if there's a risk he'll look bad, can't drive in runs, can't hit the long ball, and has a surly attitude with the fans and media (mea noa speaka Engrish)...Fuck him....I've called him garbage for years....

Again, if you get 200+ a season on a regular basis, walking is irrelevant. Ichiro will give you around 35-40 SB's a season, at this age, if he can muster up that much simply by "going when he wants", then for christ sake, let the man steal at his own risk. Find me another player still playing above 35 who has more than 20 SBs.

Ichiros batted ball statline looks a little like this, and it's pretty damn good. (LD/GB/FB)
20.3%/55.7%/24.0%

He hits line drives almost as often as he hits fly balls. And that 55.7% of balls hit on the ground, is pretty significant seeing as how the majority of Ichiros hits, come on the ground.

Now for the fun part, are you really mocking his defense? At contact, Ichiro is the quickest player in baseball to get into position to make the catch, and that's why you rarely see him slide to make a catch. Ichiro refuses to do a superman style catch to avoid injury, which is very smart. So many players get injured making those types of plays.

Among players with 1000+ Innings to their credit, Ichiro ranks 6th in all of baseball with a 15.6 Career UZR 4th among outfielders. He ranks 2nd with a 17.0 RngR

For those who say "leadoff hitter are supposed to get on base"...BULLSHIT...Look at Rickey Henderson, he could put you on the board 1-0 on the first pitch of the game...What's MORE VALUABLE? A 1-0 or a guy hitting a single and risking getting stranded?

In Ricky Henderson's 25 year career, he had a whopping 4 seasons with 20+ HRs. Sure that's more than Ichiro has done, but he's not by any means a home run threat..

And with this statement, you actually kinda prove some parts of mine. Ichiro getting stranded is 100% out of Ichiros control. If Ichiro had some power hitters, hitting behind him and actually doing their job. Ichiro would be scoring 115-130 times a season, if that were the case, you wouldn't mum a word about how "flawed" he is.

You haven't mentioned one redeeming factor as to why Ichiro isn't a good player, all you've said is "he sucks" basically.

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE;53931 said:
BTW-and not trying to be a douche, but why do you guys randomly start baseball discussions in hawks topics... don't we have an MLB section on this forum??

THANK YOU. Good grief!
:sinking:

S

Seattlehawk94

Pitchers and Catchers report on Feb. 14th
Rest of Squad Feb. 19th...

LOLOLOL

Just messing...I'll move the baseball posts into their own topic in the morning..

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
First, please excuse spelling or lack of response. This is my mobile phone and my wife/kid take up a lot of time.

Draft a DE. Move up if we can. Brock and Clemens are great, but whoever else has not worked.

OL, get healthy. Maybe look for depth in rd 2-4.

CB is a need, probably not 1st or 2nd round. LB too. I think skill positions are great if we resign Matt.

We don't need to blow it up folks.

Top Bottom