• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2010 Free Agency

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Seahawks picked up Matt Hasselbeck's contract bonus. So it looks like he will be back in Seattle and has the confidence of Carroll and crew.

Reaction score
Hawk096;46058 said:
Seahawks picked up Matt Hasselbeck's contract bonus. So it looks like he will be back in Seattle and has the confidence of Carroll and crew.
That should mean McNabb isn't coming to Seattle.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
phaZe;46060 said:
That should mean McNabb isn't coming to Seattle.

The reports are the Seahawks were never truly interested in McNabb. I think it might have been some smoke signals to try and up the offer the Cardinals would have offered if they wanted McNabb. I didn't think we would have made a run in him at the first point, but the report was quite intriguing. If Seattle does make a move at quarterback it's going to be for someone young who can learn the system and learn from Hasselbeck in the next year or two.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Seahawks have signed their first free agent of the 2010 year- TE Chris Baker to a two-year $4.75 million dollar deal. Baker spent one-year with the Patriots after being a Jet for seven-years. He scored two touchdowns for the Patriots last year and has had a career high of four touchdowns twice with the Jets. He attended Michigan State before being drafted in the third-round of the 2002 NFL Draft by the Jets. His career totals are 1,647 receiving yards off of 159 receptions- 14 of them were touchdowns. He was Ben Watson's back-up in 2009 and it's possible Carroll and Bates could use him as a blocking tight end or even some two Tight End offensive formations as well as a goal-line Tight End.

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
I told you guys the Hawks like Whitehurst, us and the Cards are both trying to get him, he's going to make his decision in the next 2 days.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Problem with Seattle is we will have to trade for him seeing we don't have a third-round pick to offer them as compensation.

Reaction score
Hawk096;46124 said:
Problem with Seattle is we will have to trade for him seeing we don't have a third-round pick to offer them as compensation.
Whitehurst for a 3rd? He is a 3rd string QB. Brady Quinn and Wallace were both 2nd string QBs and went for nothing. If a team gives up more than a 5th for Whitehurst they are idiots. Especially since he hasn't even thrown more than 2 passes in a regular season game (According to NFL.com).

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
phaZe;46128 said:
Whitehurst for a 3rd? He is a 3rd string QB. Brady Quinn and Wallace were both 2nd string QBs and went for nothing. If a team gives up more than a 5th for Whitehurst they are idiots. Especially since he hasn't even thrown more than 2 passes in a regular season game (According to NFL.com).

That's what the Chargers tendered him as a 3rd-round pick. Any team who signs him will be giving up their 3rd round pick.

Also a lot of Seahawk news today:
- S Deon Grant has been let go. Grant signed with Seattle in 2007 after playing for the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars. He signed a deal that was the highest bonus for any safety in the NFL. Clearly he did not live up to it. Despite starting all 48 games for the Seahawks in his three-years the secondary was bothered by several inabilities to defend the pass- whether it was from the lack of pressure up front or injuries is yet to be known. He had eight career INTs as a Seahawk and was a leader on the team being a captain on the defensive side. He just turned 31 Sunday and still has some juice left in the bottle. Not sure if he will re-sign with Seattle cheaper or what, but don't count him out of the NFL just yet.
-Darryl Tapp signed his second-round tender today guaranteeing him $1.176 this year.
-Seahawks cut LS Matt Overton who was signed earlier in February, but injured his foot on the first day of off-season workouts.
-Seahawks also signed former Rams and Packer WR Ruvell Martin. In 2007 he had a career year with the Packers recording four touchdowns off of 16 receptions for 242 yards. He has a career totals of 848 yards, 58 receptions and six touchdowns after being undrafted out of Saginaw Valley State (yes the same school of former Seahawk first-round DE Lamar King).
-Redskins RB Quinton Ganther will be in for a visit with Seattle Wednesday. He's more of a fullback type guy might fill the spot of Justin Griffith.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Well just when we thought Tapp was in the Seahawks future plans they trade him- to the Eagles for a fourth-round pick even though Jay Glazer is reporting it's an undisclosed pick and DE Chris Clemons. Clemons is a seven-year veteran whose played in Philadelphia, Oakland and Washington. He has three-years remaining on his current contract and is coming off of a year in which he recorded 11 tackles and three sacks. In his seven-year career he has a total of 62 tackles and 20 sacks.
Clemons was an undrafted free agent out of the University of Georgia.

Also in Hawkville:
-Lance Laury will be making a visit to the New York Jets Thursday and Friday.
-Rob Sims might be the next Darryl Tapp. He's been held out of the off-season conditioning program as well. Possible destination might be a reunion with Mike Holmgren and Seneca Wallace in Cleveland.
-Still no word on the Charlie Whitehurst front. He was expected to make a decision within 48-hours.

knownone

Huddler
Reaction score
Been nearly 3 years since I posted on the original forums and the Seahawks have finally shook things up enough for me to join in the discussion.
I think the trade with Philly is to set up a trade for Whitehurst our 4th round pick and Rob Sims for Cleveland's 3rd round pick; It's possible that Whitehurst has already agreed to terms and is waiting for Seattle to get the 3rd rounder required to obtain him.

Reaction score
knownone;46266 said:
Been nearly 3 years since I posted on the original forums and the Seahawks have finally shook things up enough for me to join in the discussion.
I think the trade with Philly is to set up a trade for Whitehurst our 4th round pick and Rob Sims for Cleveland's 3rd round pick; It's possible that Whitehurst has already agreed to terms and is waiting for Seattle to get the 3rd rounder required to obtain him.
I don't think Seattle will use a 3rd round pick on Whitehurst. If they do, the front office needs to be fired.

Everything I've been hearing and reading indicates that the Seahawks will trade for Whitehurst. It will most likely be something like a 4th round pick.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
I'm hearing possibly a 4th-round and 6th-round would compensate for a 3rd-round pick that the Chargers want for him.

Reaction score
Dude is not worth a 4th and 6th...

He was drafted in the 3rd round 4 years ago...

He hasn't done shit in those 4 years.... and he somehow is still worth a 3rd round pick.

I'd maybe give them a 4th or a 6th and branch...

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
John Clayton is reporting a deal is being finalized in which we would acquire:
Chargers 2010 2nd-round pick
QB Charlie Whitehurst

Chargers acquire:
Seahawks 2010 2nd-round pick
Seahawks 2011 3rd-round pick.

This has been confirmed by Liz Mathews as well.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Houston Texans free agent OG Chester Pitts is in Seattle today and tomorrow making a free agent visit. He played under Alex Gibbs when Gibbs coached the Texans OL and is familiar with his zone-blocking scheme. Pitts was selected in the second-round of the 2002 NFL Draft by the Texans out of San Diego State. Since then the 30-year old had started 114 games consecutively until he was injured in the second week of the 2009 season against Tennessee with an MCL injury.

Top Bottom