• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2010 Free Agency

Reaction score
It's that time of year to start talking free agency. Here's a list of the free agents this year. I will also start to break them down and the NFLs list of free agents that would be enticing to the Seahawks.

Seahawk Free Agents:
WR- Nate Burleson
WR- Ben Obomanu^
G- Rob Sims*
C- Chris Spencer*-
T- Kyle Williams^
DE- Darryl Tapp*
LB- D.D. Lewis
LB- Lance Laury*
CB- Ken Lucas
DB- Lawyer Milloy
T- Damion McIntosh
T- Brandon Frye^
DE- Cory Redding
K-Olindo Mare
P-Jon Ryan+

*= Will be unrestricted in a new Collective Bargaining deal is reached.
+= Signed an extension already.
^-Restricted Free Agent even if a new CBA is signed.

Players signed to Future’s Contract already:
WR- Patrick Carter
LB- Anthony Heygood
WR- Mike Jones
RB- Xavier Omon
TE- Jason Pociask
CB- DeAngelo Willingham

Reaction score
Should Resign: Nate Burleson, Ben Obomanu, Rob Sims, Chris Spencer, Darryl Tapp, D.D. Lewis, Lance Laury, Ken Lucas, Lawyer Milloy, Olindo Mare.

Even if you hate Sims/Spencer, they both provide depth. Lewis/Laury are good Special Teams players and backups. Lucas and Milloy provide depth and experience. Olindo Mare of course was on fire this past season and should have went to the Pro Bowl rather than being an alternative.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Mare- Most likely will be back. From what I've read from his agent Drew Rosenhaus's twitter and other reports is Mare and Seahawks are working on a deal.
Milloy is unsure if he will return or retire. He has played for Carroll in New England.
Burleson could all depend if Seattle is truly interested in Brandon Marshall.

Reaction score
the only ones I feel are worth keeping
DD Lewis
Mare
Milloy
Lucas
Nate B but he will get way more money from someone else

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Why DD? Linebacker will be deep with Hawthorne who happens to play MLB just like DD. Lance Laury is younger and will be a cheap Special Teams guy. We still have Will Herring too. I think DD won't be back unless he hasn't found a team come Aug. and we have injuries. Plus if Seattle switches to 3-4 I don't think he fits the scheme.

Mare will return.
Milloy as said before is unsure if he wants to return.
Lucas very well could be back.
Nate as I will explain in my Free Agency Preview why he'll be back.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Roger Goodell said an uncapped year is "virtually certain." Meaning Spencer, Sims, Tapp, Laury and Obomanu will be restricted free agents meaning Seahawks will have to tender them a deal.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
As stating on the topic "Any Seahawks worth Tagging?" that with the possible CBA deal currently in place if the owners pull out of it then there will be no Transitional Tag this year. Not so sure about the Franchise tag.

Among some of the situations with the possibility of the opt out of the current CBA:
-If and when the Salary Cap returns the team will ultimetely have to fit the contract that the player was signed to under the cap.
-In order to be unrestricted you must have at least 6 years of NFL exp.
-Exsisting contracts can be cut or traded with no cap consequences in 2010 (this will be vital for dealing with Patrick Kerney).

That's just a few of them touched on by Profootballtalk. It should make an interesting free agency this year.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Apologies to all I mis-read the transitional info. There will be a transitional tag and franchise tag as well. Teams can use both of them or 2 transitional tags. That's the rule change with an uncapped year. Not the first reporting of no transitional tag.

Reaction score
Seahawk Free Agents:
WR - Nate Burleson - RE-SIGN. PLEASE.
WR - Ben Obomanu - Eh.. not sure..
G - Rob Sims - RE-SIGN.
C - Chris Spencer - UGH.. RE-SIGN, I GUESS.
T - Kyle Williams - LATER.
DE - Darryl Tapp - RE-SIGN, TAG, DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING, TO KEEP HIM!
LB - D.D. Lewis - LATER.
LB - Lance Laury - RE-SIGN. GREAT ST GUY.
CB - Ken Lucas - HIT THE ROAD, JACK.
DB - Lawyer Milloy - TIME'S UP, LAWYER.
T - Damion McIntosh - WHO? SEE YA.
T - Brandon Frye - KEEP FOR A BACK UP. JUST NOT @ LT!
DE - Cory Redding - CUT.
K - Olindo Mare - KEEP.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Problem with tagging Tapp is you're paying him Top 5 DE money and he's not worth that. I'm working on the blog in which I'll breakdown each Free Agent and his role with the team and my prediction of if they will return to us or not. So sit back and hold on until I finish it! LOL.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
ESPN Insider is reporting that Aaron Kampman whose set to become a free agent may end up in Seattle. Kampman could replace Patrick Kerney if he elects to retire or is let go. Kampman played for the Green Bay Packers and was a member of being effected by the switch to a 3-4 defense. Seattle is looking at making the switch from 4-3 to 3-4 under Pete Carroll and has the linebackers to do so, but defensive line could be a problem. If the switch is going to be made they will have to get a big guy like Vince Wolfork or Casey Hampton as defensive tackle. Brandon Mebane is still a possibility, but Colin Cole wasn't targeted by the Packers during last year's free agency meaning they saw he doesn't have the potential to do well in the system and remember our new GM worked in the Packers organization last year.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
The NFL is one league that never comes to an end.
As soon as the Super Bowl ends NFL scouts and management start to prepare for the off-season festivities. However the first one teams can start to handle was kicked-off Friday. Franchise tagging is underway and with the current CBA looking to bring an uncapped year in the NFL there is one key change to the Franchise tagging.
In the past teams were allowed to use either the Franchise of Transitional tag. This year teams can use both of the tags. A Franchise tag is a one-year deal in which the player will make an average of the top 5 paid players at his position- he has to sign a tender. A Transitional tag is one the Seahawks try to forget about. Basically you’re a free agent, but the team has seven days to match the offer the player receives or let him go and receive nothing in return for him.
Currently the Seahawks have quite a few free agents set to test the market March 5th- when the NFL New Year starts. However none of them are worth the price of top 5 money at their position. Nate Burleson, Daryl Tapp and Olindo Mare are three of the top free agents, but their value isn’t placed at top 5 at their position in the NFL.
Mare might sign an extension before the free agency period starts according to his agent. Tapp on the other hand will be a restricted free agent meaning the Seahawks will have the option of picking up his contract or receiving a draft pick as compensation. Burleson being a hometown boy might be willing to give Seattle a hometown offer, but if he doesn’t then Seattle maybe in trouble. Burleson’s knee problems over the years are part of the reason he’s not worthy of the franchise tag, but when he has been healthy his consistent play with Matt Hasselbeck has been key and a success.
For the next two weeks as the NFL places tags on their pending free agents it appears the Seahawks will be sitting this one out, but then again with new management and a new coach it’s possible they take a chance and run a trick play on the fans.

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Great points, Tez! As for Pottsie - maybe you should do a little research on a few of these guys before you dismiss them. Frye is just the kind of OT Gibbs likes, as is McIntosh. along with Gibson, there will be a lot of competition from them for the left side of the line.

Tagging Tapp makes no sense - he's not worth that kind of $. Lucas is a good nickel option, and Milloy may have some life yet and wants to play for Carroll again (he loves Pete and feels the two of them have some unfinished business). Now - our draft may mean we don't have any room left for him, but we shall see.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Well the latest on the Free Agency is that one player who we may want to be a free agent might not be. Deion Branch is believed to be expected to return to Seattle due to GM John Schneider thinking he's a perfect fit in Jeremy Bates offense he runs. I'm not sure if a $5.47m at best third receiver is a fit for that. Unless the Seahawks know they won't be able to retain Nate Burleson, but still I would think Branch would have to take a pay cut. However if Branch is let go then the Bears are appearing to be his ideal destination. According to sources he's been spotted in Chicago quite a bit.
Makes you wonder if Schneider is using the right terms of "perfect fit" to try and get the Bears to trade for him rather than just cutting him. Anyways we're just weeks away from the start of an "uncapped" free agency.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
With all of the talk about Reggie Bush joining the Seahawks a name I am starting to think is more possible is Chester Taylor. Taylor will be a free agent this year and most likely the Vikings won't be able to keep him around for his terms with Adrian Peterson in front of him. Taylor has been a successful back in the NFL and would come cheaper than Bush. In large part because of his age. Yes Taylor is older than Bush, but has always been a reserve/3rd down back. It's possible they could use him with Justin Forsett and save money instead of going big with Reggie Bush. I have always liked Taylor's running style and I think he's more proven than Bush. He's not as versatile as Bush, but he can also catch in the backfield which will help give Hasselbeck another option.

Also I'm reading more and more about the possible switch from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense. Meaning it's possible Seattle makes a run at Patriots Vince Wolfork or drafting a tackle with the 14th pick they have from Denver. I will be touching more on the switch and what it could mean for the defense later on in the month.

Also- March 5th first day of Free Agency and mainly the New Year of the NFL.

Reaction score
Chargers are willing to give up Cromartie for a RB. I don't think they would want Jones though. Hopefully the Seahawks can pick up a proven back like Taylor, but I wouldn't mind getting one with one of the first 3 picks in the draft.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Here's my problem with taking a RB in the first round:
1-Money- I know there is no CAP, but still I don't think we should invest so much in RB. We have other needs.
2-Depth- With Justin Forsett we can get a guy like Taylor cheaper than a 1st-round pick and him work with Forsett. Also if we do keep Julius Jones why have three RBs?
3-Other needs- Such as LT. As we've seen over the years a strong LT is the main ingredient to a successful running game. I think if we had a true LT like Walter Jones then Forsett and even JJ could get the job done.

Having stated my beliefs on taking a RB in the 1st round it would only be if a true RB was there and no good OT, DTs (if we switch to the 3-4) are available.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Today I was reading Sporting News Daily Paper from an article that ran Saturday and they believe Chester Taylor could land in Seattle. Listing them as one of two teams that he will sign with. The other was Washington. I would think the Redskins might stick with Clinton rather than going for Taylor. I still believe a Taylor and Forsett punch with a healthy strong OL could be a recipe for success.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
As I said before not a fan of drafting a RB with our 14th pick. Spiller does sound like a real deal from what I've read, but still I don't rank RB as our top two needs heading into the Draft. Best at 40 wouldn't be bad in my mind.

Top Bottom