• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

TOP DEFENSE VS. THE SCRUBS

Reaction score
Good article by Sando:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/79823/two-fair-questions-for-seahawks-carroll

Like I mentioned earlier, they are sitting there waiting for the play to happen and then reacting. This is not what this defense is all about. They are a big, physical, punch-you-in-the-mouth attacking defense. They need to go back to doing what works!

"[Pete Carroll] ought to press every single down man to man," Venturi said then. "If he were standing here, I would say it to him. Every time he plays zone defense, he gives you a chance to throw the ball."

What’s really frustrating me is knowing that he probably won’t change this and will continue to try and play zone, almost as if to prove that they can. That is the one trait about Carroll that pisses me off. I don’t know if it’s his egotistical overly competitive nature, but he seems to me like a guy who always wants to go against the grain to prove he can do something everybody says he can’t and shouldn’t. Other coaches, and people for that matter make mistakes and learn from them. Pete comes across a situation, sees that it’s not working, so he continues to do it over, and over, and over until he CAN and proves everybody wrong. Unfortunately, sometimes you’re just built for certain things.
I hope they learn from this and return to doing what they do best. Put both GB and DET tapes on and I will bet they played two totally different defensive games. Why not just stick with what works until it breaks.

So damn frustrating. We had this game in the bag. Leading 17-7, it should’ve been game over at that point. Defense should’ve pinned their ears back, played tight man to man and just gone after Stafford. Chicago did it, and Detroit looked like shit.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
First off Sando is a bit of a tool IMO, always alittle over critical of the hawks and PC and always up in 49er jockstrap, even before they were really good.

That said... Ive mentioned here in first few games, why are hawks D going into conservative zone coverage in 3 and long, when teams continue to convert? I dont get it at all? Its like the draw on 3 and 10? WTF? Im not a coach, but seems like more then me just saying it. And against Det, we got picked apart. As much as PC and GB would like to get pass rush 'with just 4' it aint happening. But lets not over react no team can go MAN on every down as Venturi suggests. Put up a healthy mix of blitz, man, zone, or combination thereof.

It just seems that Bevell and Gus have a playsheet that says " on X down, with X yards to go, on the X yard mark" go witht his play.... " Ya gotta be creatative or your playcalling becomes too (FILL IN THE BLANK)....

I dont think PC is too stubborn to change if shit isnt working, but he does tend to want to buck the system. Hopefully this loss is wake up call to the players and coaches.

a.) Defense is not elite
b.) Need look hard developing schematics

Idahawk

Reaction score
The last part of the Detroit game the last 5 minutes we sent 5 and 6 in some cases and couldn't get to them, the cushions we gave them on that last drive were ridiculous under the circumstances, you don't give inside leverage to any WR at the goal line .

Top Bottom