• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks Select Bruce Irvin, DE

Cano51

Huddler
Reaction score
Coples has great bust potential according to some experts, including Mayock who i like a lot (he had Earl thomas as his 1st safety in front of eric berry).

Irvin looks exciting, but the bitter sweet taste comes from the reach. Even if he turns out to be great, we prob could have had him lower as he wasnt as high on a lot of draftboards. But that we ll never know.

Reaching is like over paying in FA, worst conclusion that you can make before a rookie takes the 1st snap. What he makes after that is another story

Reaction score
Coples has great bust potential according to some experts, including Mayock who i like a lot (he had Earl thomas as his 1st safety in front of eric berry).

Irvin looks exciting, but the bitter sweet taste comes from the reach. Even if he turns out to be great, we prob could have had him lower as he wasnt as high on a lot of draftboards. But that we ll never know.

Reaching is like over paying in FA, worst conclusion that you can make before a rookie takes the 1st snap. What he makes after that is another story

He was in the top 15 on at least seven teams' draftboard. Wasn't a reach unless you talke to Kiper and Mcshay. I trust Carroll and Schneider to evaluate talent a lot more than the draft "experts" out there.

Bear4Irvin

Huddler
Reaction score
Since I am new and primarily a Bear fan who as of Thursday's 15th overall pick is a Hawk fan too.....I
WONT BE TO RUDE. I know all there is to know about the kid from a fans POV.

1st issue: It was a reach! NO IT WAS NOT. How do I know anything? The Bears had the same need to be filled in round one. Phil Emery, our GM, stated that we picked Shea McLellin at 19th overall because IRVIN and Ingrim had already been picked. Plus, the night before the draft NFLN reported he had received a 1st round promise so he should attend.

2nd issue: he is undersized: okay I have in depth listed 20 players with immense succes which can be found in my other thread, its in the link in the thread.

3rd issue: he is an offield risk! READ UP: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...ow-excelling-at-West-Virginia-081011?m_n=true

Now, you can just say to the uninformed that he is as fast as Steven Hill and as strong as most Olinemen with a full repertoire of rush moves. (Ran sub 4.4 2mo prior to combine, benched 23 reps at combine)

Reaction score
Wish it was the actual number he was going to wear, but here's Bruce at his press conference today:
20120428-141747.jpg

And here's the cliche "let's make him look like predator because he has dreads" picture:
cropped-predator.jpg

Cano51

Huddler
Reaction score
... still not sold on this. 7 other teams? Before or after us? And who says that, like GMs would share their draft boards? Am not saying amen to everything kiper says. But when this is the only reach according to him, it basically means that the 31 other teams back up his evaluations.

The draft is such a funny process. Who s better to say what s the best player for their team than its HC, GM and a whole bunch of scouts.? Still, everyone will have its own idea on what everyone should do, even tho they know way less about the players and teams needs.

... it is easy to get an A grade from the fans, you just have to listen to the media

Reaction score
Carroll seems pretty convinced the Jets would have taken him, it sounds like the Bears and 49ers also had him rated highly.

Bottomline, Bruce is perfect for the LEO, the off the field stuff appears to be way behind him, he's pretty unanimously regarded as the best pass rusher in this draft. Even Kiper and Mcshay said that. He was in a system(3-3-5) where it was tough for him to be effectiive against the run, but he's good at sealing the edge on outside runs. Just because Coples or Ingram are higher rated pass rushers for some teams that doesn't mean they're the right fit for us. We run a fairly unique defensive scheme and Irvin fits it well.

Bear4Irvin

Huddler
Reaction score
Hey guys. I honestly believe that there is only 1 way that Irvin is gonna "bust" IMHO.

Not his size. Never ever ever be convinced by ignorant know-it-alls who THINK that size is a key factor for DEs in 43 defenses. It's moreso about speed, strength, leverage, anticipation, and good old hard work. There's a lot of small DEs in 43 fronts who are very good. Robert Mathis entered the league exactly the same Height/Weight as Bruce. (In the thread entitled, "Explaining Bruce Irvin", you can find a list of approx 15 lighter DEs with immense success.)

Lol, omg, as I am writing this some is on sports radio in Nashville ripping Carrol for picking Irvin at #15. Claim is he was great college recruiter, but cannot evaluate NFL talent. Apparently,nearly the entire East-Coast biased media still incorrectly believes Bruce would have made it into the mid 2nd round. Is it not their job to know what other GMs, Bruce, and Coaches have said?

So, Bruce Irvin is the only thing that can prevent himself from reaching the level of impact the coaches expect. I know risk exists, and he could bust.

As a professional armchair analyst, wannabe GM, and highly unexperienced successful jobless pro scout:
My theory is PIMM (Copywrite protected, intangible corportation) is the fundamental prospect level measurement.
Production= Good: Ingram/Irvin was gone when CHI picked Shea at #19. Irvin has more sacks in 2 yrs less. 1yr 3down DE. Diverse moves in pass rush tool box. Less experience playing the run than most.
Intangibles= X: Legal problems, Hard Worker, Raw talent, Instinctive, Not elite football IQ, Self motivated.
Measurables= Elite: Only faster 40 time came from Steven Hill. Fastest 3Cone. 23 Bench reps. Slender,but natural strength.
Medical= Great: Played all 13 games each yr at WVU.

His PIMM is Good, XFactor, Elite, Great

...on a scale of elite/great/good/average/bad/very bad/worst or X for too many variables.

Reaction score
I have definitely warmed up to the idea. Initially, I was like WTF??! Never heard of the guy. Now it almost seems like that part was intentional. I think teams, especially Seattle, wanted Irvin to fly under the radar. He said the Seahawks never brought him in for a work out or anything.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I can keep wearing my ol beat tatupu jersey!

So what I saw that I think seperates BI from others is his speed and agility.
He was lined up wide (leo) but even on the strong side, then he outruns the lineman laterally, then ethier arcs backside (amazing cornering) or undercuts the gap. I seriously think teams will have to gameplan (double team) against this guy!!

Bear4Irvin

Huddler
Reaction score

He was lined up wide (leo) but even on the strong side, then he outruns the lineman laterally, then ethier arcs backside (amazing cornering) or undercuts the gap. I seriously think teams will have to gameplan (double team) against this guy!!

If he is doubled, it will create 1v1s for the rest of the Dline(Peppers came to Chicago and slow Israel Idonije got 8 sacks out of the blue). Sea has some capable Rush Men (as we call Chicago's line) all along their D front. Plus, they are adept at run stopping so, teams will/may pass more.

By his senior year, Bruce had to deal with doubles. I am gonna go find a clip where he opens up possibilities for his teammates while the oline focuses on him, and still gets a couple sacks. Will post it soon.

Bear4Irvin

Huddler
Reaction score
Wikipedia has his number listed as 51.... I know its not the most reliable source.
I voted, on his website fauxbruceirvin.com) that he should chose 51 over another 50's number because those two was his only options.

Bear4Irvin

Huddler
Reaction score
Double teamed the predator? Here is the clip I referd to 2 posts ago, I think it was 2... anyway I posted this on the Bears MB before the draft and just cut and pasted all the commentary below.

Enjoy my friends!!

NEW!! vs. PITT 2011 MOST IMPORTANTLY the loads of double teams on him open up sacks for others to terrorize PITTs QB. You can see him specifically play the run bc he's highlighted in this good clip. He makes amazing plays. I have seen one lost containment. 2 run stuffs on RB Zach Brown. One terrible play he fails to shed and they get gouged badly *tisk* *tisk*. Worst play ever! He gets a solid sack later, and he hits hard trust me. Last play he gets the strip sack. He was doubled the whole game and the WV line killed the QB until he was gun shy. All because Irvin allowed 1v1s.

Kevin S

Huddler
Reaction score
Huh? Anyone get that?

Word is he might be the best pure pass rusher in the draft, another Leo.
I was shocked, pissed off... said so in a Twitter email. B. Irvin read it, contacted me within minutes, said that he was going to PLAY his ass off... I told him to BRING IT.......

robdog

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was shocked, pissed off... said so in a Twitter email. B. Irvin read it, contacted me within minutes, said that he was going to PLAY his ass off... I told him to BRING IT.......

You know him personally, or he just responded to your tweet?

Reaction score
If he is doubled, it will create 1v1s for the rest of the Dline(Peppers came to Chicago and slow Israel Idonije got 8 sacks out of the blue). Sea has some capable Rush Men (as we call Chicago's line) all along their D front. Plus, they are adept at run stopping so, teams will/may pass more.

By his senior year, Bruce had to deal with doubles. I am gonna go find a clip where he opens up possibilities for his teammates while the oline focuses on him, and still gets a couple sacks. Will post it soon.

Clemons is more than capable, he was our only pass rush threat last year and still got 11 sacks.

I voted, on his website fauxbruceirvin.com) that he should chose 51 over another 50's number because those two was his only options.

Only other number avilable was 57 (David Hawthorne's old number) whiich I'm guess now belongs to Bobby Wagner.

Top Bottom