• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I caved

OP
K

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Number 18;54944 said:
This is the shit that pisses me off. Rip on Alexander for being shitty catching passes out of the backfield, but you can't bother to look at Alexander's receiving stats from 2001-2003 (averaged 48 receptions).

Question. Who owns the franchise record for single season receptions for a running back? Ricky Watters with 63. Who is second? Alexander, with 59. 59! Jesus! John Carlson hasn't ever registered that many and he is supposed to be a pass catching tight end. Mike Williams only had 65 receptions this season. In 2008 we didn't have anyone reach 59. In 2007 only Engram bettered 59. And you people say Alexander cannot catch a pass out of the back field? Bullshit.

John L. Williams NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Why don't you like to count John L. Williams? He broke 70 catches three times along with a 61 catch season. If you are going to quote stats at least quote the right statistics.

Reaction score
kdawg2980;54956 said:
Why? because he disagrees with you? Look at Alexander's years 2004-2007 he was downright terrible as a pass catcher.

Uh... No, because 18 provided evidence to support his position. He didn't provide any at all.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
kdawg2980;54954 said:
Learn to read then pop off please. I said AFTER the 2004 season. So I'll explain AFTER means going to the next season which was 2005.

They were all three free agents after 2004. Walter and Hasselbeck were priority 1 and priority 2. Alexander was priority three.

For being a "super mod" I figured you would know these things or at least how to read. I hate being corrected on something I'm right about.

Sorry. I got bogged down in your other inaccuracies.

kdawg2980;54955 said:
2004: 23 receptions
2005: 15 receptions
2006: 12 receptions
2007: 14 receptions

What a "great" pass catcher he was. He was a good receiving back in 2001-2003 but after that he sure was pretty shitty. He was also a terrible blocking back.

How many "MVP" backs get pulled on third downs for a slow aging fullback? Mack Strong was always the lone back because he could block better.

You are assuming his reduced pass catching was a result of being a poor pass catcher, which clearly was not the case as I have proved and you have only speculated.

kdawg2980;54956 said:
Why? because he disagrees with you? Look at Alexander's years 2004-2007 he was downright terrible as a pass catcher.

Again, you are making baseless assumptions. Holmgren himself even said he got away from passing because he had such a strong run game. That explains Alexander's drop in receptions more than your "terrible pass catcher" theory...

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score

seahawkblitz

Huddler
Reaction score
Why don't you guys start a thread about someone that's actually on the team. Shaun was what he was, one day he'll rais the flag before a game, everyone will cheer, then we'll never see him again. Whether or not he could catch a pass or not is irrelevant, he was a stand out player on the best team we've ever had. enough said.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkblitz;54962 said:
Why don't you guys start a thread about someone that's actually on the team. Shaun was what he was, one day he'll rais the flag before a game, everyone will cheer, then we'll never see him again. Whether or not he could catch a pass or not is irrelevant, he was a stand out player on the best team we've ever had. enough said.

Well said.

seahawkblitz

Huddler
Reaction score
I agree on ROH, and the discussions are fun, but I just don't see the point of having an argument about the best years in our franchise history, why don't we bash the Boz instead, or Rick Mirer. Both of these guys made the NFL networks top 10 draft busts.

Reaction score
Well those discussions have all been had... We've had a few years to reflect on this subject. Seems like a good time for it.

tonos253

Huddler
Reaction score
On the home page..i wish someone could get kerney off and put someone currently on the roster

Reaction score
Definitely need Shaun Alexander. He was the BEST player on the team during the Super Bowl run. ;)

OP
K

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Number 18;54967 said:
Because everyone agrees on Boz and Mirer (at least I think everyone does...). :D

Yea nothing to really "debate" here I think we all agree that both sucked right???

I mean Boz wasn't the bust that most see him as because I hate calling a guy a bust due to injuries.

OP
K

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
tonos253;54969 said:
On the home page..i wish someone could get kerney off and put someone currently on the roster

Yes not trying to piss everyone off(probably already have) but we should get a current player(not Kearney) and get someone who doesn't suck(not Tatupu).

I suggest having Hasselbeck(face of the franchise) and Earl Thomas(Most likely face of the franchise on defense for years to come).

Otherwise makes the site look outdated and people might not join.

OP
K

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Number 18;54959 said:
Sorry. I got bogged down in your other inaccuracies.

You are assuming his reduced pass catching was a result of being a poor pass catcher, which clearly was not the case as I have proved and you have only speculated.

Again, you are making baseless assumptions. Holmgren himself even said he got away from passing because he had such a strong run game. That explains Alexander's drop in receptions more than your "terrible pass catcher" theory...

What "inaccuracies" are you talking about? You mean where you make up stuff I said. You clearly can't read what after 2004 means? you mean that?

As for the pass catching then why did Morris and Mack Strong have more receptions than him? I remember with my own two eyes Alexander aligator arming several pass receptions attempts.

I love how NOBODY denied my "inaccuracy" about Alexander being a shitty pass blocker. Gotta love that but I guess every analyst and myself is wrong for thinking that.

As for John L. Williams he did rush for 800 yards one year which is what Alexander did in 2006 and more than he did in 2007 so I guess if John L. Williams doesn't count Shaun shouldn't count those years. I guess my "inaccurcies" are just to much.

Like I said Alexander deserves to be in the ring of honor no doubt. There is no reason if you have a brain and understand football to think Alexander was more valuable than Hasselbeck in 2005. NONE! The franchise felt Hasselbeck was more valuable and I value Holmgren's opinion on football more than mine or yours!

Reaction score
bobflipaburger;54975 said:
aww come on man, just let it die lol.
Charlie Whitehurst would be great too. That guy is going to be LEGENDARY.

(Yes, I'll let it die now, lol.)

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
kdawg2980;54978 said:
What "inaccuracies" are you talking about? You mean where you make up stuff I said. You clearly can't read what after 2004 means? you mean that?

As for the pass catching then why did Morris and Mack Strong have more receptions than him? I remember with my own two eyes Alexander aligator arming several pass receptions attempts.

I love how NOBODY denied my "inaccuracy" about Alexander being a shitty pass blocker. Gotta love that but I guess every analyst and myself is wrong for thinking that.

As for John L. Williams he did rush for 800 yards one year which is what Alexander did in 2006 and more than he did in 2007 so I guess if John L. Williams doesn't count Shaun shouldn't count those years. I guess my "inaccurcies" are just to much.

Like I said Alexander deserves to be in the ring of honor no doubt. There is no reason if you have a brain and understand football to think Alexander was more valuable than Hasselbeck in 2005. NONE! The franchise felt Hasselbeck was more valuable and I value Holmgren's opinion on football more than mine or yours!

You are right. Inaccuracies was an "inaccurate" choice of wording. For that I apologize. A more accurate phrasing would have been something regarding being either unwilling or unable to look at the picture in a holistic manner.

As for Morris and Strong v. Alexander, I have combined all three players' receiving states from Pro-Football-Reference.com so we are on exactly the same page:

Alexander-Strong-Morris.png

So clearly, your statements about Strong and Morris catching more passes than Alexander are not "accurate." Morris only caught more in 2007 when Alexander had the club on his hand. Would you throw to an RB with a giant cast on his hand? Strong caught more in 2005 (barely) and 2006. But there are likely more plausible explanations than the "Alexander is a crappy pass catcher" rhetoric.

I have read your blog and seen you do some good analysis. It would be nice to apply that here and come up with better reasons for Alexander's drop off in reception numbers than the aforementioned rhetoric.

And I too have seen Alexander "alligator arm" passes. But I have seen a lot of other running backs, WRs, TEs, whatever do the same.

And what are we not counting with Alexander v. Williams? 2006 and 2007? Fine by me. Only strengthens my argument. We can count Williams, too, if you would like. So Alexander becomes the third best pass catching back in franchise history.

As for 2005 MVP, lots of teams have ridden strong running games and good defense to championships. Hasselbeck got the long term priority because in the long term, he is definitely more valuable. Teams that have ridden a running game and defense to a championship without a good long term quarterback tend not to be consistent season in and season out. The Baltimore Ravens are a good example. They were all over the place until Flacco came in.

Top Bottom