• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Flynn or Wilson ?

The Seahawks starting QB is ?

• Matt Flynn

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Tavaris jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
lol dude, his ceiling is not that high. Physically, everything about him is average. Add all the accuracy, leadership, pocket presence, and ability to read a defense in the world you might be able to get an elite QB. He may have all of those qualities (well, not too sure about his pocket presence) but not at a level that will allow him to be anything more than above average in my opinion. That's not a knock, that's not me being a "hater." "Above average" by definition puts him in the top half of NFL QBs. You can win a super bowl with an above average QB, hell you can win a super bowl with a below average QB... Or even worse than that (see: Trent Dilfer). I think Matt Hasselbeck was above average most of his time here, with a few years of being above above average... "Borderline elite" is a better way of phrasing that lol.

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
:D I´m definitely not calling you a "hater"! I just dont see any reason why a QB who can replace Rodgers just like that and perform that well in the clutch would not have as high a ceiling as possible. It is surely possible that him being physically average will be an obstacle in him becoming elite, but in my opinion the most important qualities for a QB are between the ears, and we will see soon if that is Elite in Flynn! The are hints to that direction... Drew Brees is far from being physically elite, but I would not dare to hold that against his eliteness.

Reaction score
Brees is a pretty good athlete, definitely better than Flynn. He also has a better arm than a lot of people like to give him credit for, again definitely better than Flynn's.

Reaction score
I'm aware of this. Being bigger doesn't mean you can throw a ball harder... I mean look at Ichiro, dude is 5'11" on a good day and 175 lbs soaking wet but he's had one of the best arms in all of baseball for 11 seasons now.

Not sure if baseball is your thing though, or if people even care aboout baseball in Finland (athough a football fan anywhere in europe seems even more unlikely). So Mike Vick, one of the stronger arms in the game and far from the biggest QBs out there. No question T-jack is our biggest QB with the strongest arm. But I'd say Russell Wilson no doubt has a stronger arm than Flynn and he's, obviously, our smallest QB.

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
My only point is, we can all guess what Flynns ceiling is but based on what we have seen from his performance on the field when it mattered, there is no limit to it. No matter if some of his intangibles are not similar to some other elite QBs. Many of them have completely different intangibles anyway (Brady, Vick, Brees) and still have found their ways to shine.

Baseball is considered the most boring thing on the planet in Finland! (Probably how many Americans feel about the most important sport, soccer ;) )But I like to watch some baseball live, not so much from TV. Football is not as rare but still definitely not mainstream. I do know many guys with NFL Gamepasses who are "hardcore fans", like myself. and of course we have the Finnish championship league in american football.

Josh007

Huddler
Reaction score
When I was in Europe there was a pretty large crowd at the bars that showed the NFL games. This was in Prague, though, and there were only a couple bars that showed NFL so maybe it was a too small of a sample size to gauge interest!

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Lets qualify the statement "high/low ceiling/floor" which is usually referring to (IMO) a players god given natural ability and their ablity to achieve thier full potential. In regards to flynn I would agree that his floor maybe higher because he seems to have the high mental and football acumen but maybe somewhat limited by his physical ability???? i dont know, alot of scouts thougth Tom Brady had a "low ceiling".

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
I would agree to the well argumented point that Flynns ceiling is limited by his limited physical ability if he was a rookie. But we have seen him start in the NFL and he has shown tremendous mental ability and there has not been many signs that his physique would limit him from realizing his full potential. He can perform in the clutch.

The fact that he was sacked 8 times in 2 starts indicates that he needs to work on his mobility, but I dont think that is possible without the experience of actually playing in the league for a while. But it can surely be counted as a possible limit in his ceiling.

These are difficult things to evaluate. Tom Brady is a good example. It is easy to say that someone like Cam Newton has a high ceiling because he is a physical freak. In another case Miami and San Diego missed on Brees cause they did not believe in his ceiling.. I have not seen anything that would make me question Flynns potential, but I hope to take a better look in the coming season :)

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...41f-41e0-899b-1b91360e9712&channelName=Recent

Check out the latest Matt Flynn press conference. The best part is the journalists reaction to Matts "we dont do a lot of individual left handed work" :D He does not seem to get it himself though...

Anyway, he seems a bit frustrated to me. Hopefully he keeps his head calm through this QB competition, which should have been ended by now. Its already hurting the teams chances in early season games.

Wilson seems most relaxed. He has nothing to lose. He knows he will make the team and he doesnt have the pressure to become the starter right now.

Reaction score
Bleacher report? You might as well ask one of us who's going to be the starter, same amount of access to the team.

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
Headed to camp tomarrow, cant wait to see it in person! :) :)

So how'd it go, Szat? How'd he look?

I vote for Flynn only because I don't know anything about him and what I know about TJ has not filled me with confidence. Looking forward to preseason! (Tho I'll have to rely on all your opinions, as I'll mostly get to watch the Whiners and the Faiders...Ugh.)

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
Flynn is a good choice, untill Wilson is ready.. Wilson will be our starter before the year is out.

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
Baseball is considered the most boring thing on the planet in Finland! (Probably how many Americans feel about the most important sport, soccer ;) )

I guess I must be Finnish too! ;)
Soccer I'm indifferent about, but I can't remember the last time I watched a BB game on TV from start to (pardon the pun) finish!

(That said, baseball isn't nearly as boring to me as golf...but that's not really a sport anyway!) :D

Top Bottom