• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Favre getting closer.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
I know many of you hate the media circus this has become each year but he has had the surgery, and I think the deadline thing is BS. Here is my thoughts on the outcome of Favre's return.

2008 season he took a 4 win team to 9 wins and when he got hurt we could clearly see why they were a 4 win team before. Meanwhile the Packers who were a 13 win team fall to 6.

One thing can be seen clearly, Favre had to carry the Jets on his back. He will not have to do so for the Vikes. Thomas Jones had his first double digit TD season with Favre behind Center, while the year prior in the same amount of games and with more carries had 1 for the entire season. I never thoguht Thomas Jones was a amazing back and still only see him as average. He had a QB who kept D's modest, thus no stacked boxes and more chances to make the big play.

Personally, I am afraid of what AP will do to teams with Favre behind Center. However they can try all they want, when we meet them in the NFC Championship game, Seahawks are sticking it to the Vikes just like last year!

Seahawks then go on to beat the Pats in the SB.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Saying the Packers went from a 13 win season to a 6 win season because Favre left is completely inaccurate. Aaron Rodgers had a fantastic season. It was almost statistically on par with Favre's 2007 season with some minor discrepancies. The major discrepancy was how many points the Packer's defense allowed. Not Rodger's fault and theoretically would have happened if Favre was still there.

OP
Striker

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Rodgers played very well, but could not finish out the games or carry the team. The D was poor due to injuries however no team can use that excuse like we can. Favre's leadership is the missing link here imo. Rodgers has a long way to go before he can reach that level. Part of the problem may also been the lockeroom being split due to the drama.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I disagree. Favre's leadership is bullshit. As perfectly evidenced by his behavior since "retiring" from the Packers. Favre couldn't carry shitty teams either. It was only after Ryan Grant had a break out year that they went 13-3. Where was Favre when they went 4-12 the previous year?

OP
Striker

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
I have seen as we all have what Favre does on the field with his team it is amazing. I have seen D's clap for him when he breaks off multiple tackles back to back plays because his line would shit on him. He manages to turn nothing into something, and makes those around him look good even if they are not.

Much was the same with the Jets, and I saw a team fall apart when their 39 year lod Savior no longer could carry them on his back.

As for his 4 win season it was the 2005 season in which he followed it up with an 8-8 then a 13-3. Also, the only time the team EVER fell below 8-8 since 1992 (Brett Favre's first season in GB) was 2005's 4-12 season.

So from 1992-2007 the team fell under 8-8 ONCE. The first year without Favre they go 6-10. They are now tied for the same amount of losing seasons since Favre started in 1992. That stat alone should count for something.

Also, Favre leaves for a 4 win team and takes them 9-7! he still has only that 1 season under 8-8. So you say where was he during that 4 win season, right where he belonged under center and taking the wrap. However he was right there to bounce his team right back out of the gutter. The Packers have been spoiled with success and are going to have to get used to losing. They are no longer the power house they once were, they no longer have a good coach or GM, their division is starting to shape up and they fall just above the worst team to play in NFL History.

I feel for Rodgers because he is not a bad QB, it is just that football is more than stats. When Favre is on the Packers every player came in saying I cannot believe I have the honor to play with Favre. People wanted to succeed more than ever it was infectious. Now players come in and see a split locker room and split fan base. No one walks in saying man I am honored to play with Rodgers. No one says I cannot wait to play with a legend. It is just another 6 win team with the usual problems and they have no heart.

Favre took Green bays heart with him, and that is the kind of leadership that belongs in movies. I watched all his Jets games last season, and what I saw was a man who was spurned and despite entering a bad situation with a bad team and coach, carried them to a winning record. Without the injury he had just turned a 4 win team to a deep playoff contender. How many 39 year old QB's have that ability? Not many.

Mike McCarthy and Eric Mangini are both bad coaches. Ted is also a bad GM. He had more than just opponents to overcome. And he is still the most exciting player to watch. Adrian Peterson may be the only exception, and they may play together this year!

The league is filled with Drug addicts, Wife Beaters, men who spit on women, Murderers, Steroid users, Thugs, Drug Pushers, club brawlers, and get rich quick kids who could care less about the NFL or its fans. I will take players like Favre and Garcia till they are 50 any day over these new age bums like Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young, Matt Jones, Adam Jones. We are getting closer and closer to the day where the NFL is nothing but a mockery of its former glory, so don't expect me to jump on the bandwagon off bashing and pushing legends out the door.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Again, I disagree with you. Where you feel I undervalue "mental" property of a football team, I feel you overvalue it. I think the Packers MAY have been 7-9 or 8-8 with Favre under center last year. People were sick of Favre's bullshit and even some of his closest friends on the Packers admitted they had to move on with Rodgers. Favre is a whiny piece of shit that is no different than most of the players in the league. The only difference is he got his way for a decade and half. You see his true colors now that things are not falling his way.

NEWS FLASH: Players are nothing more than employees. If you want to idolize someone that jerks his team, his co-workers, his friends, and his family around for half a decade, that's your choice. But in the REAL world, I'd have fired that asshole 5 years ago. His behavior is unacceptable, pathetic, and he is a terrible role model for those who follow him.

Reaction score
Favre is selfish. Remember the Packers gave him a chance to come back, but they wanted him to compete with Rodgers? He wanted the job outright from the start and demanded a trade because of it. Then he went to the Jets where he was decent at the beginning and went way down hill from there causing the Jets to miss the playoffs.

OP
Striker

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
When your boss is pushing you out the door before you feel ready and you were the greatest worker they had ever had, you can believe you would clash with your boss.There are many records that we can go over but to me the one stat that matters most is the W.

Greenbay Packers under Favre 1992-2007 recorded 1 season under 8-8.
The Packers have now tied that in their first year without Favre going 6-10.

Favre has lead the Packers to 4 Conference Championship games winning 2.
This lead to 2 Super Bowls winning 1.

The Packers have not seen such success since the 60's, before the AFL/NFL Merger.

From 1968-1991 The Packers saw 2 playoff appearances.
From 1992-2007 they saw 11 playoff appearances.

From the creation of the Packers in 1919-1991 the Packers saw 14 seasons in which they had double digit wins (10 or more).

With Favre at the helm from 1992-2007 they saw 9 double digit seasons.

Since the AFL/NFL Merger in 1970 the Packers have only won 1 Super Bowl and have seen 2, all of which were with Favre.

What more could you want from this guy? He gives the league everything, gives the organization everything, and just because he did not handle himself the greatest when pride got in the way of business everyone tosses him to the curb. Ted and Mike made Favre feel unwelcome and pressured him to leave of that I am sure. Favre made the mistake of giving into them too early and it lead to this.

I am not one who puts other men on a pedestal, but instead I am a man who recognizes another man who gave everything and was the best at what he did. Favre was the best at what he did, and him being as old as he is and still proving it is something to be applauded not spurned.

He has still shown despite his age he can lead a losing team to a winning season, he has shown he can leave a 13-3 team and watch them slump to a 6-10 team, he has shown that no matter how many people tell him he can't he will still chase his dream, and that my friends is something a man can live by and something I hope to pass to my children.

Players like Brett Favre, Rich Gannon, Priest Holmes, and Jeff Garcia are no longer a dime a dozen. The NFL is filled with kids who care nothing for the game and what it offers to its communities, its fans, and to tradition. Instead we have players who come out of the Draft and hold out to the point they are useless too the team so that they can make the big bucks out the gate and not even worry about being good or playing hard because they got their money (Jamarcus Russell).

I am simply a man defending another man whom deserves respect for what he has done and accomplished in his profession. If it seems I am too serious, it is because I am serious about the future of the NFL and how the long standing tradition of my family coming together and watching the sport and how it inspires the young to do amazing things is very serious too me. I just cannot see how anyone can justify wanting to throw this man out of the league. What does throwing him out do to improve the league? What does it give to the fans? What does it prove? Perhaps you all know the answer because I do not.

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing about Brett Favre (Favre = Farve? ...wtf?).

He had a decent career that now has been ruined with what happened last off-season. This guy is having a mid-life crisis and needs to stay away from the NFL and do some more Levi commercials...

Reaction score
bobflipaburger said:
decent career? He's the all time leader in TD passes.
And the all-time leader in interceptions thrown and all-time leader in pass attempts.

His career statistically is considered good because of the length of his career and how many passes he attempted. If you gave Tom Brady as many pass attempts as Brett Favre I would guarantee that Brady would have all those good records with better numbers. Brett Favre will go into the HOF and should, but I think people will always remember him for his retirement, then un-retirement and then wanting to leave the team where he made so many friends, so many records and so many fans.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and my opinion is that his career was decent. Disagree or agree if you want. I don't care. :D

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm not disputing Favre's accomplishments. I'm disputing that you think his absence from the Packer's is what made them a 6-10 team.

Back to the accomplishments, good for him. That still does not change the fact that he was en EMPLOYEE of the Green Bay Packers. If they saw fit to "shove him out the door," so be it. I just found out one of our best devs is getting laid off. It sucks. But it is real life. The NFL is a business. Those who treat it as anything different are setting themselves up for disappointment.

OP
Striker

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
(all credit goes to wikipedia)

* Favre has won the Associated Press's MVP Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award three times, all in consecutive years (1995, 1996, and 1997; the last shared with Barry Sanders).
* In 1999, he was ranked number 82 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players.[8] In 2005, TSN published another special feature honoring the 50 Greatest Quarterbacks. With his career statistics considerably augmented, Favre was ranked number 4, behind Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana and John Elway, and just ahead of previous Packer quarterback legend Bart Starr.
* Favre was named the Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year in 2007.[9]
* Favre has been selected to play in the Pro Bowl ten times in his career.[10]
* Favre is a six-time First- or Second-Team All-Pro selection. (1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2007)
* Favre was named to the NFL 1990s All-Decade Team.
* Has received the NFC Offensive Player of the Week honor 12 times.
* Has received the AFC Offensive Player of the Week honor once.[11]
* He is a five-time NFC Player of the Year (1995, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2007)
* Wisconsin Governor Jim Doyle declared November 29, 2004 as Brett Favre Day to honor Favre's 200th consecutive NFL regular season start.[12] That night, the Packers defeated the St. Louis Rams on Monday Night Football.
* Men's Health Magazine voted Favre the "Toughest Person in America" in 2003.[13]
* Chris Greicius Celebrity Award from the Make a Wish Foundation in 2007 for "being a true standout, even among the many generous celebrities who help create magical experiences for the kids who wish to meet them."[14]
* United States Sports Academy Male Athlete of the Year Award in 2007 finishing ahead of Tiger Woods and Tom Brady.[15]
* Favre appeared on the cover of the Madden NFL 09 video game, released on August 13, 2008.[16]

Favre currently possesses most of the well-known NFL career records for quarterbacks, including:

* Most AP NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995, 1996, 1997)[17]
* Most consecutive starts by a quarterback (NFL): 269[7] (291 including playoffs)
* Most wins by a starting quarterback (NFL) regular season career: 169[7] (Regular season record: 169-100)
* Most career passing touchdowns: 464 [3][5]
* Most career passing yards: 65,127[5]
* Most career pass completions: 5,682[1][7]
* Most career pass attempts: 9,209[2][7][18]
* Most career interceptions thrown: 310 [5][19]
* Most career games with at least three touchdowns: 65 [20]
* A victory recorded in the most different NFL stadiums: 32[21]

* (2nd) Most career playoff pass completions: 438[22] (Montana, 460)[23]
* (2nd) Most career playoff pass attempts: 721[22] (Montana, 734[24])
* (2nd) Most career playoff passing yards: 5,311[22] (Montana, 5,772[24])
* (2nd) Most career playoff passing touchdowns: 39[22] (Montana, 45)[24]
* (Tied 1st) Most career playoff interceptions thrown: 28 (Jim Kelly, 28)[19]
* (Tied 1st) Most career playoff losses as starting QB: 10 (Dan Marino, 10)

Favre's 269 consecutive starts trails only Jim Marshall's 270 consecutive starts as the longest such streak among players at any position.[7]

In the playoffs, Favre stands behind only Joe Montana in pass completions, passing touchdowns, passing yards and passing attempts.

In addition, Favre owns a number of team records, having printed his name into almost every passing category in the annals of Green Bay Packers history. With 42 "come-from-behind" 4th quarter or overtime victories,[25] Brett Favre is second only to John Elway's 47 4th quarter or OT "come-back wins", in NFL history.

Consecutive starts streak

Brett Favre started every game his team played from their game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on September 27, 1992.[26] He is currently in first place for the most consecutive starts by a quarterback in the NFL and one of only five quarterbacks to have started over 100 consecutive games in NFL history. Over the streak he failed to finish a game due to injury on only six occasions.[27] Besides Favre, there is only one other active streak of 100 or more games, that is Peyton Manning. During Favre's consecutive start streak, 409 other quarterbacks started for other teams in the NFL,[28] 11 of them being back-ups to Favre at one point.[26] Among his former backups are: Don Majkowski, Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, Steve Bono, Doug Pederson, Matt Hasselbeck, Danny Wuerffel, Aaron Brooks, J. T. O'Sullivan, and Aaron Rodgers. Two veteran backups to Favre never started another NFL game: Jim McMahon, and T.J. Rubley. The consecutive starts streak is widely considered one of the most notable streaks in sports, so much so that the Pro Football Hall of Fame has as an exhibit displaying the jersey Favre wore during his record breaking 117th consecutive start as a quarterback, and a section of their website devoted to what the Hall of Fame calls an "Iron Man".[29]

Green Bay Packers records
Passer rating
Highest career passer rating (800 attempts): 85.8[30]
Touchdown passes
Most seasons leading league, touchdown passes: 4, 1995-1997, 2003[30]
Most consecutive seasons leading league, touchdown passes: 3, 1995-1997[30]
Most touchdown passes, career: 442, 1992-2007[30]
Most touchdown passes, season: 39, 1996[30]
Most touchdown passes, game: 5, 1995, 1997, 1998 (tied with 3 others)[30]
Most games, 4 or more touchdown passes, career: 19, 1992-2007[30]
Most games, 4 or more touchdown passes, season: 5, 1996[30]
Most consecutive games, 4 or more touchdown passes: 2, 1996, 2003[30]
Most consecutive games, touchdown pass: 36, 2002-2004[30]
Yards passing
Most seasons leading team, yards passing: 16, 1992-2007[30]
Most consecutive seasons leading team, yards passing: 16, 1992-2007[30]
Most yards passing, career: 61,655, 1992-2007[30]
Most seasons, 3,000 or more yards passing: 16, 1992-2007[30]
Most consecutive seasons, 3,000 or more yards passing: 16, 1992-2007[30]
Most 300 or more passing yard games, career: 55, 1992-2007[30]
Most 300 or more passing yard games, season: 7, 1995, 2007[30]
Most consecutive 300 or more passing yard games: 3, 2007 (twice) (Dickey, 3, 1984)[30]
Longest completed pass: 99 yards to Brooks, Green Bay vs. Chicago, 1995-09-11[30]
Pass attempts
Most seasons leading league, passes attempted: 3, 1999, 2005-2006 (Herber, 3, 1932, 1934, 1936)[30]
Most seasons leading team, passes attempted: 16, 1992-2007[30]
Most consecutive seasons leading team, passes attempted: 16, 1992-2007[30]
Most passes attempted, season: 613, 2006[30]
Most passes attempted, career: 8,754, 1992-2007[30]
Most passes attempted, game: 61, 2006, San Francisco vs. Green Bay, 1996-10-14 (28 completions)[30]
Pass completions
Most passes completed, career: 5,377, 1992-2007[30]
Most passes completed, season: 372, 2005 (607 attempts)[30]
Most passes completed, game: 36, Green Bay vs. Chicago, 1993-12-05 (54 attempts)[30]
Most consecutive passes completed: 20, Green Bay vs. Detroit, 2007-11-22[30]
Completion percentage
Highest completion percentage, career (500 attempts): 61.42%[30]
Highest completion percentage, season (140 attempts): 66.54%, 2007 (356 completions, 535 attempts)[30]
Had intercepted
Most passes had intercepted, career: 286, 1992-2007[30]
Most passes had intercepted, season: 29, 2005 (Dickey, 29, 1983)[30]
Most attempts, no interceptions, game: 46, Minnesota vs. Green Bay, 2007-11-11 (Majkowski, 46, 1990)[30]
Lowest percentage, passes had intercepted, career (800 attempts): 3.27%, 1992-2007 (286 interceptions, 8,754 attempts)[30]
Times sacked
Most times sacked, career: 438, 1992-2007[30]
Service
Most seasons, active player: 16, 1992-2007 (Starr, 16, 1956-1971)[31]
Most games played, career: 255, 1992-2007[31]
Most consecutive games played: 255, 1992-2007[31]

Lambeau Field records
Most games played: 118, 1992-2007[32]
Most passing yards, career: 27,784, 1992-2007[32]
Most touchdown passes, career: 209, 1992-2007[32]
Most touchdown passes, game: 5, 1995, 1997 (Horn, 5, 1969; Marino, 5, 1985)[32]

Decent...wow. Well I hate to be your kid, because I would never be able to live up to your expectations.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Dead. On. Analysis.

If Favre becomes a Minnesota Viking, he will be drifting into his own private no-win situation and taking the Vikings with him.

Actually, Favre's no-win'ers are on two levels. If he doesn't come back, his career ended with him playing one year too long. If he does return at 39, he likely makes that two years.

But if the Vikings with Favre succeed, the reason will be Adrian Peterson, not Favre. Peterson led the NFL in total yards last season and the Vikings won the NFC North in 2008 with Gus Frerotte giving AP the ball.

If the Vikings do not repeat as division winners (a distinct possibility with the arrival of Cutler and the development of Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay), the fault will be Favre's, not Peterson's.

The Vikings won four of their final five by giving the ball to Peterson 120 times. Favre's Jets lost four of their final five, and a playoff berth, when Favre gave a disgruntled Thomas Jones the ball 73 times.

The Vikings won the division with more running than pass plays. Only once (2003) in Favre's 16 Green Bay seasons did the Packers run more than he passed, and the 2008 Jets' pass plays outnumbered runs by more than 100. Does Minnesota sound like a Favre fit?

Is Favre better than Tarvaris Jackson? "Better" doesn't matter; winning does, and the 2007 Vikings were 2-0 against the Bears with Jackson starting. Jackson had as many wins against Lovie Smith's Bears in one year as Favre did (2-6) in four. If Matthew Stafford becomes the Detroit equivalent of Matt Ryan, Favre will finish the season as the fourth-best quarterback in the division.

For both player and team, Favre in Minnesota is a no-winner.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... ml?eref=T1

OP
Striker

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Favre has had to carry the teams he went too which is why they pass more than run. Ofcourse AP will be the reason they win out, as well as a great D. Favre is just a piece to the puzzle that is missing. They will ask him to make big plays when needed, not carry the team which is why those arguments are pretty weak.

Favre can do what Jackson cannot, and if Favre had the team Jackson had he would have a much better record against the Bears.

As someone said before me, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine is you play to win and Favre is a winner and jackson is not. Jackson doesn't even deserve the right to have his name in the same article as Favre, however good for him it may be the highlight of his career.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Yeah, you play to win. How well did that work out for the Jets last year? You portray the illusion that if any team sticks Favre in under center, they are going to instantly be a winner - which is completely untrue.

Additionally, your criticism of Jackson is kind of odd. From everything I hear of Jackson, he is every bit the type of player you were boasting the NFL needs more of earlier in the thread when you talked about what the NFL is (from your point of view):

Stryker said:
The NFL is filled with kids who care nothing for the game and what it offers to its communities, its fans, and to tradition.

Maybe you should rephrase your views to say that you only care about decent role models if they are superstars or, more specifically, Brett Favre.

OP
Striker

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Last year it worked out pretty well for the Jets. Their success in over doubling their wins for the season and being able to set the bar much higher next season is an accomplishment. They did not post a losing record and thus it is easier for a coach to come in without fans the media and the players all feeling they need to go into a rebuilding phase.

From what I see from Jackson every week on the field, I am not impressed. His off the field stuff I do not know much of and that is both the fault of me and the NFL in general. You normally will not see players like Jackson or others who struggle in this league get highlights about their charity work. That does not mean he doesn't deserve a shot as a starter, but if I am a GM and from what I have seen I would replace him. He doesn't show any resemblance of a future starter in the NFL.

Also, Rich Gannon is my favorite player of all time and is far from being a Super Star. The man may never be a HOF, but he showed more drive and determination in what he loves as anyone you could put at his side. Most people scream he was a bum until he played with Rice, others say look at his 5 INT's in the Super Bowl, however what I loved is that when the Pats drafted him they wanted him to play CB. He refused saying he was a QB, thus he was tossed out had a mediocre at best stint with the Vikes who constantly marketed him as a "fill in". Soon he was expected to be a career backup and goes to KC. There he steps up and gets them to the playoffs but is then benched in favor of Elvis who blew it all in the playoffs. Soon enough Gannon found himself in the FA and Gruden grabbed him and said, "I am going to glory or down in flames with you."

The rest is history, until ofcourse the SB against Gruden which ended in tragedy. Everyone remembers 5 INT's. I remember Doug Jolley falling to the ground aafraid of getting hit believeing the ball will make it to him. The defender swooped in for the INT as Jolley lay on the ground untouched and without the ball. I remember the team playing their hearts out to the final wistle accept Time Brown who jogged a frikken sloppy curl route at the end causing the 5th INT not even seeing the ball being thrown to him! The defender swooped in for an easy INT and Brown only noticed after the defender was allready plenty of distance away. I also remember all the extra hours Gannon put in with the team and how he got his own key to the facility from Gruden since he would show up to work at 4 a.m. to watch film and used to have to wait outside until Gruden got their around 5 to let him in.

You don't have to be a superstar, however stars often influence the most. I see nothing but an average player from Jackson, and teams are not going to keep him around because he has a good heart. You have to take hold of those reigns and fight for every second, and I do not see that from Jackson.

I am not pushing Jackson out of the NFL like everyone is trying with Favre. Jackson will have every chance to prove himself, however he has had some chances allready and showed very little. If I ha to choose between him or Matt Hasselbeck to be the leader and rolemodel for the Seattle Seahawks believe I choose Matt every day of the week. That is because Matt has earned his spot and role with his team, Jackson has earned nothing.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Their success in doubling their wins means NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. They did not win the AFC East. They did not get into the playoffs. Rather, they ended up without Favre and in the middle of the round for the draft. So they had to trade up to get a QB. So really, I could argue, quite successfully, that Favre COST them.

Reaction score
phaZe said:
I personally think Chad Pennington could have led them to the playoffs.

Favre won some games for them at the beginning of the year... Pennington can't do that, but Favre also lost some games for them towards the end of the year which Pennington doesn't do that either so I think it would have evened out... They might have even won less with Chad... I definitely don't think they would have won more with him... Pennington fits what they're doing in Miami.

Top Bottom