• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Trade to Minny

Reaction score
:lol:

January 7, 2009 11:29 AM

Wednesday's inane Hasselbeck musing comes from Minnesota

Posted by Danny O'Neil

This one comes courtesy of the Pioneer Press in Minnesota. Amazingly enough, it seems that Minnesota needs to find an answer at quarterback, which comes as a total and complete shock considering they started this season with Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte at the position. {Begin sarcasm} Who didn't think that would go just swimmingly?{/end sarcasm}

Well, here's one take from the Twin Cities on the QB quandary courtesy of Charley Walters. Thanks to a number of readers who pointed it out:

A more realistic and practical objective, though, might be to trade with Seattle for Matt Hasselbeck, 33, who probably would be available for a second-round draft pick. The Seahawks, 4-12 this season, need to rebuild.
-- Charley Walters, Pioneer Press, Jan. 6, 2009
A quarterback one year removed from a career-best passing season with an eminently reasonable salary-cap number available for a second-round pick? Now, I'm sure that Minnesota would like for that to be the case. But that's not likely. Not even knowing that Hasselbeck has a bad back that limited him to less than half this season.

But wait, it gets better when you consider the other options that get outlined.

Houston's Sage Rosenfels, 30, for whom the Vikings were rumored to have offered a third-round draft pick last season, might be a third option and seemingly would compete with Jackson in training camp.
-- Pioneer Press
So one year after the Texans turned down a third-round pick for their backup quarterback, the Seahawks are willing to trade their starter for a second-round pick. The math just doesn't line up on that one.

I've gotten absolutely no indication that Seattle would consider trading Hasselbeck for a second-round pick.

Reaction score
I think that Hasselbeck being traded would be considered a lot more next off-season rather than this off-season, but if the Seahawks do pick up a QB with their 4th pick in the draft, Hasselbeck won't be sticking around long.

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
no way I want to help Minnesota
unless we could trade them Jennings too and get a 1st rounder :lol:

Reaction score
I heard this too, but e-mailed Clare and he told me that Knapp spoke personally to Hasselbeck. I don't think this trade will happen. I do think Wallace and him will have an open battle and that Wallace will be our starting QB opening day.

Reaction score
Unless Hasselbeck's back injury is much more significant than it seems, I don't see any way Wallace would beat him for the starting spot.

Reaction score
I would rather have Wallace. Hasselbeck's back will never be the same and that's the case with the knee. Wallace is consistent and smart with the ball. Look how Matt was against Washington and Arizona. Wallace may not put up numbers, but he gives us the best shot of winning in my mind.

Reaction score
Hass is one of only two goddamn bright spots on this whole offense. Trade for Adrian Peterson Phaze? How would our offense look then? A lot like Minnesota, only without Hutch, who happens to create pro-bowl RB's when he's not busy stopping the pass rush! How did they look without a franchise QB? Thats why they want Matt in the first place! Thats like saying hey, let me take that engine out of your car and put it in my car with a blown motor, because your car has a flat tire. Our problems are easier to fix than Minnesota's. How Many 1st round QBs end up having a career like Matt? Not many. I don't think a lot of you fans realize how hard it is for teams to get a top caliber QB. Probably the toughest piece of the puzzle to get.

Reaction score
I agree Vanilla I'm not writing Matt off, but he is getting older and he does have a bad back and knee. I don't want them trade him. I've always been a fan of having two QBs that can start elsewhere. It drives them both to perform and practice better. I think Matt will be our starting QB if he's healthy, but if not I feel fine having him be our back-up. Matt's contract is too much to trade him. He would have to renew his contract or we would have to pick up a few of the financial terms. I don't think Matt will be traded, but I do think his days are coming to an end. Sad to say, but I think he will retire soon.

Reaction score
I think Matt had a rough year with his back. I agree thats scary being the back and all, and maybe he will retire soon, but until I see cracks in the armor next season, I will write this one off as an fluke. I think he will be good to go at least a couple more years. He's not that damn old for a QB. Many of the really good ones go a long time. I want the first QB to lead this team to the Superbowl to get to retire a Seahawk.

Reaction score
vanillathrilla said:
I think Matt had a rough year with his back. I agree thats scary being the back and all, and maybe he will retire soon, but until I see cracks in the armor next season, I will write this one off as an fluke. I think he will be good to go at least a couple more years. He's not that damn old for a QB. Many of the really good ones go a long time. I want the first QB to lead this team to the Superbowl to get to retire a Seahawk.

Yeah I want him to retire a 'Hawk too, but all I was saying is that I think with his back and knee on top of the age factors in he might be a reliable back-up for us. Yes QBs go long, but are they productive after they hit that certain age? He's 33 and that is normally the age most QBs start to go down. Look I'm not saying get rid of him. Don't think that, but I do think we need to give Wallace a chance to earn the spot. If he doesn't then we have one of the best back-up QBs in the NFL.

Reaction score
I don't think Wallace has it. I haven't seen anything special. All of the top QB's have an expertise or area that they are better than almost anyone else at. Matt goes through his reads faster than any QB in the NFL. That is according to Ron Jaworski (who watches more game film than any other analyst) and John C. Jaws also says he is the second best on field leader behind Peyton Manning. I hope Wallace gets a chance to start somewhere else in the future for his sake, but I really hope it isn't here.

Reaction score
Wallace may not put up numbers, but he is smart with the ball! Prior to the Cardinal game he only had one INT. He kept us in a lot of games. We win the Dolphin game possibly if Wahle doesn't commit the False Start on the 2-point conversion. We could have beat the Pats had our inexperienced line called the audible on the blocking assignment. I think Wallace has potential of being something. I don't think his numbers will get him into Pro Bowls, but I think he keeps his team in the game and can offer them a chance to win.

But that's just me. What do I know?

Reaction score
Bob-
I'm not saying he will. Just saying that its possible for an open competition in pre-season. Hasselbeck will be a Seahawk till the end of his career.

Reaction score
To me, Wallace is like what Kerry Collins was to the Titans this year. He's not going to lose any games for you, but he's not going to do anything special to win the game for you either. So basically he's just a really solid backup.

Top Bottom