• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks vs. Cardinals

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
What seems like a Flynn vs. Wilson argument is actually a referendum on Pete Carroll. He decided to start a rookie QB in a road game for his first start. Few fans would have been surprised when Flynn started the season with rookie Wilson coming off the bench as needed. No controversy - until Pete created one. Wilson played like a rookie, and was fortunate to have Leon bail him out with ST play. Otherwise, it's unlikely the game would have been as close as the final score.

I wish he hadn't, it would be harder to avoid the question.

Let see if PC comes back with the "I don't care what you think" again. The 12th man may end up running him out of town.

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
Or Flynn would have taken 10 sacks in this game. Why don't you look to where the real problem was. The o-line.

I agree that the o-line was so bad that any QB would have struggled. The receivers are far from top quality also. Still, eight chances in the red zone in the last minute and no result. This really is Tarvaris 2.0 material. And why did we not try to run with our best weapon (Lynch) even once with those final plays? To me it looks like Carroll made a mistake in starting Wilson. Flynn is known for his ability to perform in the clutch.

Having said that, and I have been saying I would start Flynn all the time, I definitely see Wilson as a player with tremendous potential and have absolutely nothing against him. I root for him as hard as I can every time he plays. I just think that if we want to win now, Flynn is the better choice. Long term, who knows. I am not against keeping Wilson as the starter in next games as well (standing by your decision), but I am not sure if its the right thing to do either.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Dude, Wilson is a pipe dream. Do you also remember that Hass is 6'4 225 and studied under Farve for 4 years.

Sounds a lot like another QB we know, Flynn 6'2 225 studied under Rodgers for 4 years.

The longer Wilson plays the longer it is going to take Flynn to develop.

What pisses me off most about comments like this is that it makes my reply seem like I am super pro-Wilson, which I am not. But there is just so much bullshit in a post like this, I feel I have to address it.

1. Hasselbeck was not instantly great. He got benched because he flat out sucked. Take a look an his massively uninspiring regular season debut throwing 0 TDs and 2 INTs. Or what about his follow up performance the next week where he went 9/24 for 62 yards.

2. Flynn is not that great. His own OC opted to go with Ryan Tannehill (who tossed 3 INTs yesterday) over Flynn. That should tell you a lot. Not to mention the below average contract he received.

Point being? Back off the ledge. Your little golden boy Flynn probably isn't that much (if any) better.

That said, if Wilson continues to suck, I expect him to get benched and I really have no problem with that. And Flynn does provide an upgrade. Awesome.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
What pisses me off most about comments like this is that it makes my reply seem like I am super pro-Wilson, which I am not. But there is just so much bullshit in a post like this, I feel I have to address it.

1. Hasselbeck was not instantly great. He got benched because he flat out sucked. Take a look an his massively uninspiring regular season debut throwing 0 TDs and 2 INTs. Or what about his follow up performance the next week where he went 9/24 for 62 yards.

2. Flynn is not that great. His own OC opted to go with Ryan Tannehill (who tossed 3 INTs yesterday) over Flynn. That should tell you a lot. Not to mention the below average contract he received.

Point being? Back off the ledge. Your little golden boy Flynn probably isn't that much (if any) better.

That said, if Wilson continues to suck, I expect him to get benched and I really have no problem with that. And Flynn does provide an upgrade. Awesome.

I agree, and so you know I'm not huge on Flynn either. Hell, he may have done worse but I do think overall he is the better QB based on NFL experience and size.

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score

Fine points 18. Don't agree that Wilson is a pipe dream, but do agree with the part sprhawk said about, the more Wilson plays the longer it's going to take Flynn to develope (with the receivers, etc). Wilson made countless mistakes yesterday that luckily he didn't get punished for, like the backward passes, and some others that escape me just now. Had those plays been called correctly by the officials, this game likely would never have been close at the end; aka severe hawks loss.

So now what happens? Continue on with rookie mistakes, and possibly lose more games you should win? Most team's starting quarterbacks take something like 90% of the snaps in practice, and Flynn hasn't had anything close to the standard number of reps with the starting receiving crew that most other QB's arround the league have had with their targets. Looks like we have another dilema at the positions of QB, OT, OG, and WR, which has become the new normal since PC got here.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Holmgren was all offense and had no clue what to do on defense. That got old.

It looks like Carroll is the opposite. And that is already old.

Idahawk

Reaction score
What fucking experience does Flynn have ? Riding the pine for 4 years and one 6 TD game ?

Thats where you guys lose the argument, Flynn isn't some pro bowl back up, he's just a guy! From a talent level he is and will always be a back up. There is no MH 2 coming to save your team.

Idahawk

Reaction score
The longer Wilson Plays the more time Flynn loses to development ? I thought the entire argument for Flynn is that he's ready ?

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
The longer Wilson Plays the more time Flynn loses to development ? I thought the entire argument for Flynn is that he's ready ?
What really pisses me off about comments like this, is that it makes my reply sound like I am pro-Flynn, which I am not, but there should have been a coaching decision earlier on to give the majority of the reps to one QB, so that the most important player on the field would have matured further with all the other starters he's playing with.

Arguement for Flynn is that he reads quickly, decides quickly, attacks the weakness of the defense, and delivers quickly. The use of the word develope (as I use it) doesn't mean that Flynn can't do the above already. It's in reference to the development of the rhythum, timing, placing, and spacing between throwers & catchers and where the catchers are going to be at a given time, in relation to the defenders. I heard somewhere (Hugh Millen) that NFL QB's need to anticipate all of those things, and that it takes quite a few repititions to get it correct.

If Flynn isn't ready, then why did they pay him millions to come play/sit here?
Of course Whitehurst wasn't ready, and they paid him millions too! :poop:

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm still not seeing this argument. Wilson had 3 passes in the redzone, only 1 run. What screwed us was Baldwin taking away a timeout AND dropping a touchdown. Reminded me of the playoff loss to the Lambs in 04. Defense and turnovers hurt us. Special teams was good, not great, and we should expect that every week.

Baldwin and Edwards had touchdowns go through their hands at the end. I'll take that opportunity every time in a ROAD game against our DIVISION.

Idahawk

Reaction score
What really pisses me off about comments like this, is that it makes my reply sound like I am pro-Flynn, which I am not, but there should have been a coaching decision earlier on to give the majority of the reps to one QB, so that the most important player on the field would have matured further with all the other starters he's playing with.

Arguement for Flynn is that he reads quickly, decides quickly, attacks the weakness of the defense, and delivers quickly. The use of the word develope (as I use it) doesn't mean that Flynn can't do the above already. It's in reference to the development of the rhythum, timing, placing, and spacing between throwers & catchers and where the catchers are going to be at a given time, in relation to the defenders. I heard somewhere (Hugh Millen) that NFL QB's need to anticipate all of those things, and that it takes quite a few repititions to get it correct.

If Flynn isn't ready, then why did they pay him millions to come play/sit here?
Of course Whitehurst wasn't ready, and they paid him millions too! :poop:

They say it takes 5 years for a starting QB to get it . Its easy to say taking Flynn was a mistake if your sole intention was to make him the starter, if on the other hand you were just taking the best available QB for a shot at the starting job or worst case a very good upgrade at the back up position then it becomes a win win .

I don't see how in a competition you can favor one guy over another ? We named a starter as soon as we could and it takes time as it would with Flynn or any QB to get it.

And I don't care if your Pro Flynn or pro Wilson as long as your pro Seahawks !

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Unbelievable how this is all about the the QB.... Yeah RW played like a rookie at times, and overall probably graded out like a C or maybe slightly higher, and yeah, when your given 8 fucking shots in the redzone you must convert!

But I cant believe no one here is calling out the OC Bevill/ PC on offensive playcalling here... and maybe because its "taboo" to do so but fuck it.... The Cards Incesently blitz 98% of the time and still you keep on going for long developing plays, and pass 35 times!! We have great hands personnell in turbin, lynch, leon, Mike Rob, our 2 TE, yet no screen plays or quick outs? The run was effective yet we go pass happy on offense when our QB (Rookie) is under duress? Only 5 other QB's in the league passed that many times. What happened to run the ball? Also RW in the shotgun like he is Brett Farve, when he does the best rolling out to a 'spot'. I give Bevill/PC a D on playcalling.

I also question though (as one mentioned in a previous thread) RW ability to throw the slant, or short inside routes at all....????

But good damnit our DL sucked ass in pressure all game, against a very hobbled OL and I wanna see B. Irvin do SOMETHING! Watch Melvin Ingram tonight against the Raiders, and tell me you wouldnt make that trade tomorrow.

The Az DB's are better then I had realized, adding Carr to the mix enabled them to Blitz, but our WR need do better, hold on the ball, baldwin dropped two passes, he needs to get back to game shape, he's missed too much time.

On a positive, our biggest playmakers, ST Leon, OFF Lynch and Sidney looked good.

Idahawk

Reaction score
It looked like so many other games I watched yesterday ! Timing was off and the players looked like it was the first game of the year. I think we vastly improve this weekend by just settling down and being more relaxed at home. Did we get to cute with the passing game, yes but we had to figure that the Cards would put 8 guys down and force Wilson to throw anyway, it was ugly for sure.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
we had to figure that the Cards would put 8 guys down and force Wilson to throw anyway, it was ugly for sure.

Running into a pass blitz can sometimes get you huge gains, because there is a depeleted second level, I would have just like to see more of that too.

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm still not seeing this argument. Wilson had 3 passes in the redzone, only 1 run. What screwed us was Baldwin taking away a timeout AND dropping a touchdown. Reminded me of the playoff loss to the Lambs in 04. Defense and turnovers hurt us. Special teams was good, not great, and we should expect that every week.

Baldwin and Edwards had touchdowns go through their hands at the end. I'll take that opportunity every time in a ROAD game against our DIVISION.
Edwards had slight opportunity to make that catch. Baldwin lost two front teeth on his diving attempt. Martin got a bruised lung out of his try, and couldn't even return to Seattle. None of which was due to perfectly catchable balls...see the arguement yet?

http://mynorthwest.com/422/735069/Charly-Martin-has-bruised-lung-no-word-on-Okung

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Baldwin lost two front teeth on his diving attempt. Martin got a bruised lung out of his try, and couldn't even return to Seattle.
http://mynorthwest.com/422/735069/Charly-Martin-has-bruised-lung-no-word-on-Okung

Ummmm... Im gonna go out on a limb and say none of this is true....
Agreed those were very difficult catches, except for Edwards. Right through the wickets.

Did anyone see Warren saps tweet ? Said " i would have never thrown to Edwards for game winner".

LOL

OP
Cmoney

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
the bruised lung is true.. but the two front teeth?? dk about that one

Reaction score
Those were all catchable. I mean maybe they were a few inches away fromm being PERFECTLY placed, but Wilson executed the plays as well as he could have.

Everyone is pointing to Okung's false starts, but it was the interior that looked bad. Not many teams have guys like Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell so I don't think we'll look that bad again but other teams are going to try the same thing. Contain the edges and pressure the middle.

OP
Cmoney

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
very true.. all in all, we played a good game, Arizona has one of the most powerful offense and defense, and we played to our ability's, however, we need to work on some things and prepare ourselves for Dallas..

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
Those were all catchable. I mean maybe they were a few inches away fromm being PERFECTLY placed, but Wilson executed the plays as well as he could have.

Everyone is pointing to Okung's false starts, but it was the interior that looked bad. Not many teams have guys like Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell so I don't think we'll look that bad again but other teams are going to try the same thing. Contain the edges and pressure the middle.
Every site needs an eternal optimist...Bob you're it!

Top Bottom