• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Doom and Gloom for the Seahawk O Line?

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
We've all talked about what LT the Seahawks will be drafting this year, and will it be at 6 or 14. Then some of us started talking about who might slip to 40. I've attached a link to an article that takes a different look at the state of our talent. Curious to see some feedback...

http://www.gohawks.info/4.html

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I think it would be wise for the new regime to make some big moves on the line. So in that regard I dont believe this article makes alot of sense.

Sure Alex Gibbs may be great and can come in and make our guys better.
But if they dont make any big moves this offseason and the line still sucks ass, that is totally unexceptable.

However if they go out and get some new blood in the trenches, any failure can be chalked up to inexperience.

It may not be pretty or right, but thats the politics.

Spend a couple upper round draft, or get FA in here, it needs re-vamping.

OP
D

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Whether using guys in-house or newly signed players, a lack of performance from the line won't be tolerated. I don't know if Gibson can be the guy or not, but they do have a lot of positions that need to be filled...

Reaction score
I makes sense in the regard that this class isn't particularly strong as far at the offensive linemen go, but thinking that any coach can inherit a line that was as shitty as ours was last year and turn them into anything acceptable is kind of far fetched. I mean arguably the most important position on the offensive line is LT and we don't have one. Sims/Unger/Willis/Locklear doesn't sound terrible to me though.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger;45064 said:
I makes sense in the regard that this class isn't particularly strong as far at the offensive linemen go, but thinking that any coach can inherit a line that was as shitty as ours was last year and turn them into anything acceptable is kind of far fetched. I mean arguably the most important position on the offensive line is LT and we don't have one. Sims/Unger/Willis/Locklear doesn't sound terrible to me though.
Those 4 are the best guys we have. They just need to re-sign Sims and draft/sign a few guys.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I guess my point is, if the new coaching staff does not make a move to upgrade this OL, then there asses will be in the fire. They have to try to recruit some talent, even if it isnt a strong class.

Bob, that line up doesnt look bad either -minus the LT, but ive been watching sims get beat for 3 years now, switchin him to the other side wont change that.

Reaction score
szat;45066 said:
I guess my point is, if the new coaching staff does not make a move to upgrade this OL, then there asses will be in the fire. They have to try to recruit some talent, even if it isnt a strong class.

Bob, that line up doesnt look bad either -minus the LT, but ive been watching sims get beat for 3 years now, switchin him to the other side wont change that.
They definitely need to add someone via the draft or free agency.

OP
D

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
bobflipaburger;45064 said:

I am trying to dig up some info on Gibson... wonder if he will be able to play LT or replace Sims at LG. Of these 4, I do see Sims as the weakest link. I also thought McIntosh looked good last year before going down. I hope we grab one of the LTs that are available in free agency. Solve our OL concerns before the draft and then focus on best player available.

Reaction score
Everyone who thinks we don't need new linemen please go to nfl.com and watch highlights from our games last season.... lay down the crack pipe... refresh your memory

Our line was one of the worst in the league and no fucking coach, no matter who he is, is going to turn shit into gold. This isn't a fairy tale.

This is football

OP
D

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
We all know we need new linemen. But we had a RT at LT, a Guard at RT, and coaches that were smart enough to put a guy with a broken hand in front of the QB when our real center was playing guard. We also have three guys on the roster that weren't available last year, and I don't think any of the guys available in the draft will step in and be better than Frye or McIntosh next year. Not sure about Gibson.

So if we can't get someone through FA, do we upgrade a position for 2010 (CJ Spiller or D Line) and wait until next year and try to draft a better LT, or draft a LT that will be a better option in 2 or 3 years?

I've been looking at tape on some of the linemen available this year, and I'm not overly impressed.

Reaction score
From what I keeping hearing about the Linemen in this years draft, it seems like the better option would be FA. A combo of FA and draft would be ideal.

We don't need to reach for one of these highly "touted" guys, we can try and grab someone in the later rounds.

Something has to be done. We need to get rid of Spencer and Sims and add some new blood to the line.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Current line: positives

Unger at Center will be improved this year.
Locklear is a good RT. Move him back!

Guards: Sims, Spencer, Vallos, Wrotto, Willis. One of these guys should be able to step up into either side of center. The rest cut or keep as back ups. Find gaurd in later rounds at draft or FA.

That leaves LT:
You get this in the draft and you get it early. Top 3 OT this year will be starters in the NFL.
None of them will be Walter Jones.
And all of them will be better then what we have from Game 1.

This is what we have to do, its simple.

And this is exactly what is going to happen.

OP
D

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I think two of the OTs might be upgrades over Frye and McIntosh from day one, but Davis is too raw and I doubt he'll be in good enough shape to not get burned on a regular basis his first year. I like the kid, but I've been looking at film on him and he did get beat a lot last year by quicker DEs.

Simple fact is using our pick at #6 for the LT talent that will be there will be a waste - I can't see taking any of the OTs over Berry or Haden. The top 3 or 4 will be gone by 14. Which means we take one of the 2nd tier OTs at 40 if there isn't another top piece of talent there.

Quite simply, there should be 3 or 4 very good LTs available in FA. That is how Seattle needs to fix the line while they figure out if Frye will mature and they work on the Gibson experiment.

12th McLovin

Huddler
Reaction score
I really like a guy that I've seen play here at Maryland, Bruce Campbell. He is really athletic and from what I've heard he might run a 4.9 at the combine. I would love to have him at #14, but Al Davis might make that hard.

S

Seattlehawk94

#ONE;45114 said:
From what I keeping hearing about the Linemen in this years draft, it seems like the better option would be FA. A combo of FA and draft would be ideal.

We don't need to reach for one of these highly "touted" guys, we can try and grab someone in the later rounds.

Something has to be done. We need to get rid of Spencer and Sims and add some new blood to the line.

Enthused SECOND on that!!

You need to look at F/A as well as the draft...You can't build an even OKAY OL with all Rooks or Sophs...You need to phase (not you phaZe) guys in and have VETERAN LEADERSHIP to help them grow...

Look at Walter, without House Ballard to mentor him he never becomes the talent he turned into...Look at Hutch, without Tobek and Walt he's not the player he turned into....It's a cycle...You have to mix old and young..

And I certainly don't want any of these douchebags teaching any of their habits to a youngster....We need a vet to hold down the fort while mixing in youth...

Spencer is the biggest OL bust we've had since Crystal McInbust, both were overhyped runblockers in CFB and both had their shares of injuries...And with any luck he'll be like McInbust and his ass will be out of Seattle...and soon...

Reaction score
12th McLovin;45136 said:
I really like a guy that I've seen play here at Maryland, Bruce Campbell. He is really athletic and from what I've heard he might run a 4.9 at the combine. I would love to have him at #14, but Al Davis might make that hard.

right now that guy is better than anyone one our line from last year and maybe the last 2 year.

OP
D

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
12th McLovin;45136 said:

I'm not saying I don't think Campbell will be a great LT in the NFL. He will some day. But don't expect him to be able to match up well with some of the faster DEs he'll face in the NFL. He has issues with guys that get off the line quickly. You don't find as many DEs in college that can burn you with speed or knock you over, but they are there in the NFL. Even the great Walter needed a few years to refine his trade before he was a good (and then the best ever) LT in football. So to say a college lineman is better than anyone on the current Seahawk roster is just a little... uh... silly. Watch this so-called highlight reel vs. Cal and tell me if that guy is any better than what we have on our current staff.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2-cJJR-rQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Maryland OT Bruce Campbell Official Highlights vs. Cal[/ame]

And for those that are thinking Davis may need consideration at 14, take a peak here. Missing blocks, not quick enough to get to blocks, leaving his feet, watching a guy run right by to get to the QB... nightmere city if he is our starting LT.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiL8DSVAUJQ&feature=related[/ame]

Reaction score
looking at the cal game yes with 1 hold ( but the C should have picked that up)
his Technique was spot on vs the outside speed rusher. That is what we teach Tackles to do.

looking at the rutgers game no

12th McLovin

Huddler
Reaction score
I agree completely that we should not take Anthony Davis. I'm also not saying Campbell is better than anyone on our line right now. But most college linemen need a litle time to transition into the speed of the pro game. But what Campbell does have is great athleticism, so he will be able to handle faster rushers better. And it's not like we have a quarterback that needs to be protected right now.

Reaction score
This question is intended for all those who want to address Left Tackle in FA. Who?
I have not found one player who will be available who isn't old, who is from a zone blocking sceme, who is still good.
I'm not saying there isn't anyone, but I would like to see some names.
Thank you
Brett

Top Bottom