• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Clayton's thought on the possible upcoming cap

Reaction score
3. Seattle Seahawks: General manager John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll could go on a spending spree. They have $39 million of cap room and a payroll of $83 million. To meet the NFL payroll floor, the Seahawks would have to spend $37 million. They need a veteran left guard, so that leaves plenty of room to go for Raiders left guard Robert Gallery. They offered Matt Hasselbeck $7 million in a one-year deal. They could easily afford to bring him back and then make deals at other positions to upgrade their roster.

Get Gallery NOW 5yr 30 mil
Matt 2 yrs 13 mil

Reaction score
We have a lot of players that are FAs that we need to bring back. I like Gallery though.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
I say take Gallery on a 3 years/18M deal. Let Matt go and get Kolb. Bring back Mebane, and with whatever is left, if there's is enough, sign Asomugha but I doubt there will be. So if there isn't, sign Leinart to a small deal to push Kolb and release JP Loserman.

Reaction score
We have a lot of players that are FAs that we need to bring back. I like Gallery though.
QB Matt Hasselbeck
QB J.P. Losman
FB Michael Robinson
WR Brandon Stokley
WR Ruvell Martin
S Lawyer Milloy
S Jordan Babineaux
LB Matt McCoy
LB Will Herring
LB Leroy Hill
C Chris Spencer
T Sean Locklear
T Ray Willis
G/T Chester Pitts
G/T Tyler Polumbus
DT Brandon Mebane
DT Craig Terrill
DT Amon Gordon
DT Junior Siavii
DE Raheem Brock
DE Jay Richardson
CB Kelly Jennings
K Olindo Mare

I grabbed that list from another thread. I haven't looked it over, but I'm pretty sure they're all free agents.

Reaction score
QB Matt Hasselbeck
QB J.P. Losman
FB Michael Robinson
WR Brandon Stokley
WR Ruvell Martin
S Lawyer Milloy
S Jordan Babineaux
LB Matt McCoy
LB Will Herring
LB Leroy Hill
C Chris Spencer
T Sean Locklear
T Ray Willis
G/T Chester Pitts
G/T Tyler Polumbus
DT Brandon Mebane
DT Craig Terrill
DT Amon Gordon
DT Junior Siavii
DE Raheem Brock
DE Jay Richardson
CB Kelly Jennings
K Olindo Mare

The above in bold need to be resigned imo.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
$7M for matt, wow, thats pretty good offer, Im shocked he didnt take it. $12 million / 2 year with incentives for staying healthy.

I would defenitely add to list above: Will Herring- value back up that started last year at times, also maybe martin, Babs, Hill, Spenscer, all pending different senarios and costs.

FA: Gallery and Asomugha would be killer, though Nandi will cost half of that cap.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I would resign Spencer, too. I know a lot around here don't like him much, but I think he is better than most believe. Besides, Unger has not proven to be anything spectacular. Spencer strikes me as the kind that will leave Seattle and then go to the Pro Bowl every year with some other team.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Not sure of the link, but thread states Clayton, and it was $7M for 1 year. I would give matt 12 for 2 year deal for sure.

I like Unger over Spence because of his toughness, I saw him really finish off guys when he was in and healthy, but Spence is good too, but might not be cost effective to keep all these guys (and Gallery?) on the roster.

robdog

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure why, but $12million for 2 years seems high to me. Maybe it is more that 2 years seems long to me. I wish Matt played the whole season last year and didn't get hurt. You guys pretty confident that he is still healthy for the long haul?

Reaction score
He missed one due to a concussion (would've played in previous years) and the other he tweaked a muscle and could've played against the Rams, but Carrol decided to start Whitehurst cause he ran the 1st team all week.

I don't think Matt is as injury prone as people say he is. He's definitely dropped off a bit as far as his decision making goes, but then again, looking at his surrouding cast the last few seasons. $12 for 2 years is a damn good deal for Matt.

robdog

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He missed one due to a concussion (would've played in previous years) and the other he tweaked a muscle and could've played against the Rams, but Carrol decided to start Whitehurst cause he ran the 1st team all week.

I don't think Matt is as injury prone as people say he is. He's definitely dropped off a bit as far as his decision making goes, but then again, looking at his surrouding cast the last few seasons. $12 for 2 years is a damn good deal for Matt.

I would be alright with Matt around for another couple of years. Hopefully, we can get some good mentoring out of him for the next Seahawks QB.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I would be alright with Matt around for another couple of years. Hopefully, we can get some good mentoring out of him for the next Seahawks QB.

Exactly, he will be a great mentor and maybe a coach or assistant, radio personality some day....
I think a 2 year contract should have clauses about staying healthy just because he has not shown that he can for a whole season the last 3 years.

LaceyBALL3R360

Huddler
Reaction score
if we give matt anything over 6 mill a year we will be the laughing talk of the league, hes thrown 34 ints in the last 2 years combined and no1 can say he gives us the best chance to win, we won 7 games last year. if we wanna make the playoffs this year were gonna need to win more than 7 games.i feel bad saying that since he was our guy in the glory years but this is the NFL and we REALLY need to focus on the future at hand and do whats best for the team.

robdog

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
if we give matt anything over 6 mill a year we will be the laughing talk of the league, hes thrown 34 ints in the last 2 years combined and no1 can say he gives us the best chance to win, we won 7 games last year. if we wanna make the playoffs this year were gonna need to win more than 7 games.i feel bad saying that since he was our guy in the glory years but this is the NFL and we REALLY need to focus on the future at hand and do whats best for the team.

Can you at least make recommendation of what they should do. I understand your dislike for Matty, but what other option do we have? Throw Whitehurst in there? A rookie? What would you like to see out there?

LaceyBALL3R360

Huddler
Reaction score
we went so big on whitehurst we almost have to give it to him at least until u can tell he just doesnt have it...i still think kyle orton would be a great addition and would do great in our system

Reaction score
Lacey, you really wanna give Charlie the reigns and go 3-13... could you really endudre a season like that?? I think that would set the whole teqm back. Especially the young guys. Id rather have Matt back. With him we could go 6-10 or 9-7. Especially the way he finished the season (playoffs).

Also, please remember what Matt did with a good line, good rb, and decent WRs.... 2003-2007 were pretty damn good years. Remember SB 40 he was $ but j husky fag Stevens and dj suckett decided dropping at least 3 gimme TDs would be a good idea.

Top Bottom