• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Best defence ever

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
BTW my wife says the Seahawks defense decoded Mannings hand signals at the line. If true that tends to negate the greatest defense talk.
No it doesn't. First off, where did your wife get that information? Second, decoding signals and being a good defense aren't mutually exclusive.
Talking about the best of anything is always debatable. But undeniably this defense is in the argument.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
BTW my wife says the Seahawks defense decoded Mannings hand signals at the line.;)

Is your wife is your source of your 'football knowledge' because that would make sense...

Got to throw in the '85 bears too, not sure thats been mentioned.

To talk GOAT defenses, I am with Pete Carroll, I think you to look at in hindsight, and at the whole body of work.
I think this defense will be top D for the next couple years at least, and then looking back then you can crown their asses!

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Got to throw in the '85 bears too, not sure thats been mentioned.

Usually when talking about the greatest defenses, it involves single seasons. The only exceptions are probably the Steel Curtain and the Monsters of the Midway. There's no doubt about the '85 Bears, I totally agree with you. But you notice when you think of that defense, you always specify it with the '85 season. Not the "Bears of the mid-80s" but the '85 Bears. That defense has my vote as arguably the most dominating defense in NFL history.
The 2000 Ravens are another one right up there with the '85 Bears. Devastating, punishing, proactive, disruptive...

One defense that's rarely mentioned in these debates is the Raiders of the early '80s and '83 specifically. That defense fielded 8 pro bowlers: Howie Long, Rod Martin, Ted Hendricks, Matt Millen, Lyle Alzado, Lester Hayes, Mike Haynes and Van McElroy. One of the top front sevens of the last 30 years backed up by what some consider as arguably the best secondary in NFL history. When I think about the Seahawks' secondary, I like to consider how they stack up to that great secondary of the Raiders.

So, considering those past defenses being judged as single season editions, the Seahawks of 2013 definitely qualify in being compared to the '85 Bears, '83 Raiders and 2000 Ravens. If they want to be compared to the Steel Curtain or the Monsters of the Midway, then yes, they have to do it for multiple seasons.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
No it doesn't. First off, where did your wife get that information? Second, decoding signals and being a good defense aren't mutually exclusive.
Talking about the best of anything is always debatable. But undeniably this defense is in the argument.

I started a thread and at the very beginning the quote from RICHARD SHERMAN admits it. When a defense KNOWS the PLAY and WHERE ITS GOING the advantage to the defense, ANY DEFENSE is HUGE. Not against the rules but not indicative of a great defense either.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score

Look at the link on the thread I started.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Usually when talking about the greatest defenses, it involves single seasons. The only exceptions are probably the Steel Curtain and the Monsters of the Midway. There's no doubt about the '85 Bears, I totally agree with you. But you notice when you think of that defense, you always specify it with the '85 season. Not the "Bears of the mid-80s" but the '85 Bears. That defense has my vote as arguably the most dominating defense in NFL history.
The 2000 Ravens are another one right up there with the '85 Bears. Devastating, punishing, proactive, disruptive...

One defense that's rarely mentioned in these debates is the Raiders of the early '80s and '83 specifically. That defense fielded 8 pro bowlers: Howie Long, Rod Martin, Ted Hendricks, Matt Millen, Lyle Alzado, Lester Hayes, Mike Haynes and Van McElroy. One of the top front sevens of the last 30 years backed up by what some consider as arguably the best secondary in NFL history. When I think about the Seahawks' secondary, I like to consider how they stack up to that great secondary of the Raiders.

So, considering those past defenses being judged as single season editions, the Seahawks of 2013 definitely qualify in being compared to the '85 Bears, '83 Raiders and 2000 Ravens. If they want to be compared to the Steel Curtain or the Monsters of the Midway, then yes, they have to do it for multiple seasons.

Good points, it would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of those defenses. I think we could be considered in the top 3! Don't you have to throw the TB bucs of 05 in there? Granted they went up against a weak Raiders Offense, they got 5 sacks, 1 fumble, and 5 picks! I think they scored 2 defensive TD's.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Don't you have to throw the TB bucs of 05 in there?
For sure. For whatever reason though I'm not as familiar with that defense even though it is the most recent of the ones mentioned. But I do remember them coming into town that year and demolishing the Seahawks. It's hard not to remember Warren Sapp and that pressure they could generate from the interior.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Not against the rules but not indicative of a great defense either.
I'm having a little trouble seeing the relevance of it. It's not indicative of a great defense, true. But in actuality it's not indicative of anything. Greg Nickels is no longer the mayor of Seattle. You could say that's not indicative of the Seahawks having a great defense neither.

Reaction score
Perhaps at that moment (XLVIII) the Seahawks were but over the entire season, no.

They weren't the best defense in just the Super Bowl, they finished the season ranked as the #1 defense in the NFL. They ranked first in scoring, yards per game, takeaways, etc.... first team to do so since the 1985 Bears.

So they figured out the Broncos route concepts and then Manning’s hand signals. You think they did by any other way other than watching hours of film? That is part of the game. That is as important as any physical aspect of the game. That is probably the biggest reason these guys won the Super Bowl. You wouldn't know that though because you don't watch this team play all season long and you get your football information from ESPN and apparently your wife.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
For sure. For whatever reason though I'm not as familiar with that defense even though it is the most recent of the ones mentioned. But I do remember them coming into town that year and demolishing the Seahawks. It's hard not to remember Warren Sapp and that pressure they could generate from the interior.

I was living in the bay area at the time, the Raiders lost Gruden, he went to TB and took Dungy team and got them to the promised land. Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, John Lynch, were the standouts on that D.

Dane

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't care how they did it. They delivered a straight up beat down to one of the most elite QB's on a team that set a record for TD passes and points scored. If it was partially because they figured out the offenses signals, that doesn't diminish anything. Why? Because no other NFL defense figured it out in the 18 games the Bronco's played before the Superbowl, let alone put a stomping on them like we did.

The fact of the matter is that the Bronco's scored no less than 20 points in a single game, and they averaged over 36 points per game over the 18 games they played before the Superbowl. For the Seahawks to hold them to a mere 8 points on the biggest stage, regardless of reason, is nothing short of spectacular.

Top Bottom