• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Best defence ever

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
This season and super bowl performance certainly garners the discussion. TB bucs, Steel curtian, Minny Purple People Eaters, and now L.O.B.!

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
In an era of strict rules for tackling, hitting and general contact with receivers how can you not give this defense the nod?

The league has very few grind it out football teams anymore. It's a pass happy NFL and we flat out dominated them. Just look at what these guys have done in the last 2 years?

Most of Manning's and the offensive stats came in garbage time. We had sealed the deal 12 seconds into the 2nd half at 29 to NOTHING! Manning broke RECORDS all year. Most of EVERYTHING offense he shattered. And what did he do in the Super Bowl. NADA

If they aren't the greatest Defense then they are up there with the best.

We're the first SB UNDERDOG to win by greatest margin. That's a statement...that's over the top impressive.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
We're the first SB UNDERDOG to win by greatest margin. That's a statement...that's over the top impressive.
Vegas is usually right, or at least more often than not, and they had the Seahawks as the favorites by 1 as the opening line. It was the dumbed down masses that put it all on Denver and flipped it Denver's way. There was a prevailing belief all season that the Seahawks were overrated and irrelevant and that they had no chance to win the Super Bowl because they've never won one before. I'm glad a lot of them lost money because of that ridiculous idea.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
This season and super bowl performance certainly garners the discussion. TB bucs, Steel curtian, Minny Purple People Eaters, and now L.O.B.!

What about the 2000 Ravens?
As crazy and "homerish" as it sounds, I agree this defense has to go down as one of the greats. We all knew they were pretty good but in order to be talked about with those defenses mentioned they had to go out and win the SB. Not only did they win it but they shut down the most prolific passing offense in NFL history and made them look bad doing it.
It wasn't a matter of Denver "choking" or Manning "choking" or anything like that. The Broncos ran into a freight train yesterday. It was probably the best defense Manning has ever faced throughout his entire career and he just didn't look ready for it.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Possibly the best at generating turnovers ever but lack of sacks is a mark against. Rush defense is another strength. Someone earlier mentioned the rules changes affecting defensive play and in this era and this team is right there with the Ravens and Bucs.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
lack of sacks is a mark against.
That's true. But they did have 44 this season, up from 31 in 2012. That wasn't enough to lead the league but I think it was in the top five if I'm not mistaken. But depending on how you look at it the more important stat for this particular defense might be QB pressures, in which they did lead the league. And with this defense a pressure is just as good as a sack, as was shown in the game yesterday.
Rush defense is a little harder to put a finger on. The Hawks built up a rep for giving it up on the ground and that teams can run on them. Earlier this year, right around the time of the game in St. Louis, they got gashed hard two weeks in a row by Stacy and I can't remember who else. At that point they had fallen out of the top 20 in rushing defense but they gradually climbed back up and finished 7th overall. So from around week 9 on they might have been the best rush defense in the league or pretty close to it.

seahawkblitz

Huddler
Reaction score
Whether or not we get recognition for it nationally is not all that important to me. They already have said that we will be at least mentioned in the conversation. But for me it is easily the best defense the Seahawks have ever had. And yesterday it brought us our first championship ever. And hopefully there are more on the horizon.

The most amazing part about it is how they can just keep plugging people in there, and they just keep dominating. If we can keep the core players on this team intact, we are going to be very good for a long time. While after last night I could care less if we ever win another game. The future looks very bright for the home team.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
they can just keep plugging people in there, and they just keep dominating.

Yeah the fact that the Super Bowl MVP was a linebacker who the Hawks picked in the 7th round who was backing up another guy who they picked in the 4th round just kinda sums up what the Seahawks are all about. KJ gets injured in the Niners game in SF and they just plug in Malcolm Smith, who plays at a pro bowl level after no other team wanted him, and the defense has zero drop off and don't even break stride. Same deal with Byron Maxwell. They plug him in after Thurmond gets suspended and he proceeds to get 4 picks in 2 or 3 games.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Yeah the fact that the Super Bowl MVP was a linebacker who the Hawks picked in the 7th round who was backing up another guy who they picked in the 4th round just kinda sums up what the Seahawks are all about. KJ gets injured in the Niners game in SF and they just plug in Malcolm Smith, who plays at a pro bowl level after no other team wanted him, and the defense has zero drop off and don't even break stride. Same deal with Byron Maxwell. They plug him in after Thurmond gets suspended and he proceeds to get 4 picks in 2 or 3 games.

Those facts are just unreal. Usually the Hawks lose a key guy and we get exploited. Well, not since Pete came to town. ;)

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Danny O'neil pointed out an interesting fact about the game and the defense in particular. The Seahawks would have beaten the Broncos if the offense hadn't taken a single snap. They would have still won 9-8. I don't think there's ever been a team quite like the Seahawks, who can win a game in so many ways, particularly with their defense and ST, that they could have conceivably won a Super Bowl if the entire offensive unit hadn't even boarded the plane out of Seattle.

As difficult as it is to repeat, I don't think this team is done by a long shot. They have a really good shot of winning another one next year. I just hope they can still bring the same energy they brought this year week in and week out.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
We had dialed in the perfect balance of pressure to keep Manning from being comfortable.

The outcome is what it should be when refs don't alter the outcome.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
More than one of the defensive players has said "we never do anything different, we just play our game."

They just have a way of approaching defense like the offense approaches their game; they use what works and keep doing it until it doesn't work.

Our offense is like ninja, it adapts to whatever you allow to be exploited. It's so simple it's a thing of beauty. Can't run? Ok, we'll throw short. Can't throw short? We'll go deep. Can't go deep? We'll run again. And nobody needs to be a star.

I think the plan is to just play solid football and the rest takes care of itself. No one person is the key, yet all must perform as one.

Sometimes simple is just better.

Reaction score
Possibly the best at generating turnovers ever but lack of sacks is a mark against. Rush defense is another strength. Someone earlier mentioned the rules changes affecting defensive play and in this era and this team is right there with the Ravens and Bucs.
If I'm not mistaken, we ranked 7th in the league in sacks but first in overall pressure. Not sure how the formula works but Peter King attempted to explain it.

But it's not just about sacks. It's about overall defensive production. When you hold a all-word record setting offense to 8 in the biggest game of the year.... I thought you're at least in the conversation as one of the best ever.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, we ranked 7th in the league in sacks but first in overall pressure. Not sure how the formula works but Peter King attempted to explain it.

But it's not just about sacks. It's about overall defensive production. When you hold a all-word record setting offense to 8 in the biggest game of the year.... I thought you're at least in the conversation as one of the best ever.

Perhaps at that moment (XLVIII) the Seahawks were but over the entire season, no.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Perhaps at that moment (XLVIII) the Seahawks were but over the entire season, no.

They destroyed the best Offense in history. They held them to one score.

If the Seattle Offense didn't play a snap the Defense wins the game 8-9?

If that isn't the best then what is? Possibly the best game in SB history.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
They destroyed the best Offense in history. They held them to one score.

If the Seattle Offense didn't play a snap the Defense wins the game 8-9?

If that isn't the best then what is? Possibly the best game in SB history.

We'll definitely disagree on it being the best super bowl ever. For a Seahawks fan, sure. For everyone else, no. It was over by halftime. The Rams super bowl went down to the final second of play which is a much better event no matter who is watching.

BTW my wife says the Seahawks defense decoded Mannings hand signals at the line. If true that tends to negate the greatest defense talk. ;)

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
We'll definitely disagree on it being the best super bowl ever. For a Seahawks fan, sure. For everyone else, no. It was over by halftime. The Rams super bowl went down to the final second of play which is a much better event no matter who is watching.

BTW my wife says the Seahawks defense decoded Mannings hand signals at the line. If true that tends to negate the greatest defense talk. ;)

It was the greatest dismantling of a great offense in SB history.

Top Bottom