• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Your Thoughts on New Rules?

Reaction score
NFL.com said:
NFL kickoffs will take place at the 35-yard line -- not the 30 -- under a modified kickoff proposal passed by the league's owners at the NFL Annual Meeting on Tuesday. The proposal keeps touchbacks at the 20 and continues to allow the two-man blocking wedge.

The league's competition committee originally had proposed moving touchbacks up to the 25, eliminating the blocking wedge and limiting coverage players from long run-ups. The league reduced the number of players allowed in a blocking wedge to two in 2009.

The owners tabled the vote on changing some of the language on defenseless receivers.

A proposal to allow the replay official to review all scoring plays at any time during games also passed, but the third challenge remains -- coaches can get a third challenge if they win two challenges. Read More
Moving kickoffs to the 35 will kill special teams. You're going to see a TON of touchbacks this season. Teams that went out and paid their kick returners a lot of money (Leon Washington) are not going to get the return they expected.

I do like the new rule change that allows officials to review every scoring play. It works great in college and should work great in the NFL.

Reaction score
HAAAATE the kickoff one. The other rule is good, scoring plays affect the game the most so get those right at all cost.

PacWest

Huddler
Reaction score
Scoring replay rule: AGREE

35yd line kickoff: BAD DECISION

They might as well bypass the kickoff altogether then since most times the ball will end up on the 20 anyhow. What a joke!

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Seeing how we have Leon Washington that really kills us. Especially a month after we signed him to a 4/12 deal. Do we still sign him to that much money and years with these rules? I doubt it.

I also hate it because kickoff returns for touchdowns are exciting. Why even kick the ball off? In 10 years I'm sure they'll just have each team start on the 20 yard line. At least it's the 20 not the 25 like originally was planned.

PacWest

Huddler
Reaction score
kdawg2980;56274 said:
Seeing how we have Leon Washington that really kills us. Especially a month after we signed him to a 4/12 deal. Do we still sign him to that much money and years with these rules? I doubt it.

I think its safe to say that Leon is an asset for years to come either way. Not only that, it has been said that he is expected to have a bigger role in the running game than he did last year.

I think PC and JS were smart about defining Leon's role in his first year as mainly just the returner. Limiting his role on the team overall allowed them to observe how well he would come back from his substantial injury the year before as well as not losing him in a running back starting role if he was re-injured.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
bobflipaburger;56275 said:
They actually talked about just getting rid of kickoffs and having each team start at the 25.

I mean did they even field test this shit or just some physicist, pencil dick, come up with the novel idea to decrease incident percentages.
Pentalize the nasty hits, dont change the game.

I will boo every time a player takes a knee. Pussies (not the players).

Oh and I love the rule someone submitted to pentalize everytime a QB head "moves". WTF over?

Goodell needs to grow a pair, seriously.

tonos253

Huddler
Reaction score
kdawg2980;56274 said:

I also hate it because kickoff returns for touchdowns are exciting. Why even kick the ball off? In 10 years I'm sure they'll just have each team start on the 20 yard line. At least it's the 20 not the 25 like originally was planned.

I was just going to make that point..I don't think that we would have resigned him. i hope they get creative and figure out more ways to get him more into the offense cause that was alot of money we spent to keep him. The powers that be had to know this rule change was going to get brought up so why not wait to resign him?

Idahawk

Reaction score
big picture gentleman, if the NFL doesn't start doing something about all the concussions the game as we know it could be gone and flag football will take its place.
There have been tons of stories about head injuries and players long term health. The NFL is pouring a little cold water on the fire. Its funny the players don't like it....when their health and the 18 game schedule are major issues in the CBA? We will see if the rule lasts the entire year . The boo birds will be out in force!

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
The NFL is such hypocrites though. They care about safety but turn around and demand they play two more games to make money.

You truly care about the product and health REDUCE the season not EXPAND. Go back to a 14 game season or even 12 game season.

We all know they won't ever do that because it's all about $$$$$.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
This also has the chance to create a situation more like punts. High kicks to try and get them inside the 20. But the coverage team is 5 yards closer giving the returner less time to react creating just as dangerous of a situation as before.

We'll see what happens, I guess.

PacWest

Huddler
Reaction score
Number 18;56292 said:
This also has the chance to create a situation more like punts. High kicks to try and get them inside the 20. But the coverage team is 5 yards closer giving the returner less time to react creating just as dangerous of a situation as before.

I hear these types of "high kicks" are dubbed as "Mortor Kicks" or "Mortor Shots".

I never really heard that term before, but I am sure I will alot more now.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
PacWest;56293 said:
I hear these types of "high kicks" are dubbed as "Mortor Kicks" or "Mortor Shots".

I never really heard that term before, but I am sure I will alot more now.

Yeah I heard that term, too. I couldn't tell if they were talking about the high kicks or the squibb type kicks.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
Number 18;56292 said:

If there's a huge increase this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they did something about it. Having teams teach their players to fair catch more may be a simple solution, but there's a lot of young players out there that try to make big plays and get blown up for doing it.

Top Bottom