• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Wednesday in Hawkville

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
ap1110020106195.jpg

A recap of the day’s activities at Virginia Mason Athletic Center for Oct. 5:
FOCUS ON
No-huddle. While the Seahawks were working on the offensive strategy that has spiked their offensive output the past two weeks, the New York Giants were working against it during their practice.
“Obviously we practice it a great deal and did utilize it some of today’s practice for a great deal of that,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said during a conference-call interview. “The communication thing – we are at home, we should be able to communicate the idea that we’re in the proper alignment positions relating to and making sure everyone knows what the huddle call was. So we’re working on those kinds of things as well.”
How much the Seahawks use the no-huddle in Sunday’s game at MetLife Stadium remains to be seen. But Coughlin already has seen enough that he knows his defense has to be ready for it.
The Seahawks’ two most impressive scoring drives of the season have come from the no-huddle – a 10-play, 61-yarder against the Falcons last week that ended with Tarvaris Jackson’s 6-yard TD pass to Mike Williams; and a 14-play, 72-yarder against the Cardinals the week before that resulted in Jackson’s 11-yard TD run.
After the Seahawks’ 105-minute practice, which was conducted in the indoor practice facility for the first time this season, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell was asked why he thinks the no-huddle has been so effective.
“There’s a number of reasons why you think,” he said. “Can you really put a finger on exactly which one? Probably not. But I do know it gives us rhythm. I do know our guys play fast. I do know that our guys have less to think about. It’s moving so fast that their focus is really dialed in.
“So there’s a bunch of reasons. But probably a little bit of all of those.”
Bevell also knows that it forces the opposition to spend extra time preparing for it.
“Sometimes it’s an up-tempo, which Seattle likes,” Coughlin said. “But sometimes also it can be a no-huddle that is really trying to identify what the defense is doing, and reacting accordingly. So we have to prepare for both.”
PLAYER WATCH
Jameson Konz. The second-year rush-end/linebacker/tight end/fullback is the Seahawks’ poster player for perseverance. A seventh-round draft choice last year, he spent his rookie season on injured reserve. This season, he spent the first four games on the practice squad.
But Konz was signed to the 53-man roster on Tuesday to help fill the void on special teams that was created when Matt McCoy was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury that will require a surgical procedure.
“That’s kind of where my niche is right now, and I’m going to try to work my way onto the defense,” Konz said.
Playing multiple positions at this level is not that common, but then Konz always has been a player of uncommon versatility.
“That’s kind of the player I’ve always been,” said Konz, who also played on both sides of the ball at Kent State and Lake High School in Uniontown, Ohio. “Wherever the coaches need me, wherever I can go to help the team, that’s just kind of the rule I live by.”
Now, he’s doing it on the active roster – thanks to his perseverance.
“It gets tough some times,” he said. “But you’ve just got to stick it out and keep working hard and eventually it will pay off at the end of the day.”
Or, four games into the season.
IN ’N OUT
Six players did not practice for the Seahawks, including four starters: wide receiver Mike Williams (concussion), tight end Zach Miller (knee), left guard Robert Gallery (groin) and strong safety Kam Chancellor (quadriceps). Ben Obomanu worked for Williams, Anthony McCoy subbed for Miller and Paul McQuistan and Atari Bigby continued to fill-in for Gallery and Chancellor. Gallery already has been ruled out for this week’s game.
Also out, with hamstring injuries: defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove and linebacker Malcolm Smith.
Cornerback Byron Maxwell returned after missing the past three weeks with an ankle injury, but he was limited to individual drills.
Coach Pete Carroll upgraded the status of assistant head coach/offensive line coach Tom Cable, who had back surgery last week. Cable missed two days of practice, but was back on Friday and was in the coaches’ box for Sunday’s game.
“Today he is definitely elevated to probable. He looked good today,” Carroll said. “It took a toll on him. He was hurting on Monday and he sucked it up, but he was an active part of (the Atlanta game) upstairs.”
Carroll said the plan is that Cable will accompany the team Friday when it flies to New Jersey for Sunday’s game.
For the Giants, cornerback Prince Amukamara (foot), center David Baas (neck), linebacker Michael Boley (knee), running back Brandon Jacobs (knee), defensive end Justin Tuck (groin, neck) and cornerback Corey Webster (not injury related) did not practice, while defensive tackle Rocky Bernard (ribs) and defensive end Osi Umenyiora (knee) were limited.
STAT DU JOUR
They’re called “explosive plays” – passes of 20-plus yards and double-digit runs. The Seahawks had three in their first two games, but have had 13 in the past two – including a season-high seven in last week’s two-point loss to the Falcons. Here’s a look at their Top 5 plays in each category:
Passes
Yards (opponent) Play
55 (49ers) Jackson to Doug Baldwin
52 (Falcons) Jackson to Sidney Rice
32 (Cardinals) Jackson to Rice
30 (Falcons) Jackson to Baldwin
26 (Falcons) Jackson to Marshawn Lynch
Runs
Yards (opponent) Play
23 (Cardinals) Lynch
21 (Cardinals) Leon Washington
13 (Falcons) Jackson
13 (49ers) Ben Obomanu
12 (49ers) Lynch
UP NEXT
“Turnover Thursday,” and the emphasis on forcing them will be even greater in Thursday’s practice because the Seahawks have only two in their first four games – both interceptions.
“It’s one of my most frustrating issues because we understand how important it is and how it works toward winning,” Carroll said. “We’re trying to do everything we can, but when you don’t affect the quarterback and you’re not getting to him – we didn’t have any sacks last week – that’s where most of it starts.
“We have to address it and make sure that we can cause some problems and get the ball thrown so we can make some plays and all that. That’s the primary issue.”
YOU DON’T SAY
“I mentioned to the guys that no matter what sport you’re in, when you play in New York it’s a cool thing. It just always has been, because of the great history and the tradition of those teams. I asked how many of our guys have played in New York and a few guys raised their hand. And I said, ‘Well, we’re playing in New Jersey.’ But still, it’s a special opportunity in that regard. It’s a cool place to play.” – Carroll, who coached for the Jets from 1990-94

b.gif
veFKmu1BCS8

Source: Seahawks.com

Top Bottom