• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tate Fined

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...ks-wr-golden-tate-fined-for-blind-sided-block

This is getting out of hand. How can anyone call that a blind side when Tate clearly squares up against Lee right in front of him. Lee was totally fixated on Rdub but you would think his peripheral vision would have given him some warning. I thought Tate was aware and did everything he could to make a clean block. It wasn't from the side at all.

Tate's helmet did make contact but you clearly see him lift his left shoulder. If Lee would have noticed him the helmet would not have been involved.

Reaction score
Typical Goodell bullshit. Heard ole Jerry Jones and the Cowgirls were lobbying hard for the fine.

-the glove-

Huddler
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...ks-wr-golden-tate-fined-for-blind-sided-block

This is getting out of hand. How can anyone call that a blind side when Tate clearly squares up against Lee right in front of him. Lee was totally fixated on Rdub but you would think his peripheral vision would have given him some warning. I thought Tate was aware and did everything he could to make a clean block. It wasn't from the side at all.

Tate's helmet did make contact but you clearly see him lift his left shoulder. If Lee would have noticed him the helmet would not have been involved.
I don't understand this blindside BS. The angle Lee was taking, if he was looking straight, he would've seen Tate, but since his head was turned, its now a blindside? That's BS. It's penalizing a blocker for another player not paying attention.

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
It makes sense when you read the rule. That doesn't mean you have to agree with the rule. I don't.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c8823a/printable/leagues-official-player-safety-rules

3. "Blindside" Block. It is an illegal "blindside" block if the initial force of the contact by a blocker's helmet (including facemask), forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of an opponent when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches his opponent from behind or from the side.

I wouldn't call it a blind side. I can see how someone might call it Launching but I think Tate "squatting" was because he was being careful to avoid the head. His approach was from the side, but the block was square in the front. There was no contact with the neck or head.

I think Lee's momentum was the biggest part of the force of the impact, not Tates blocking action.

Reaction score
It makes sense when you read the rule. That doesn't mean you have to agree with the rule. I don't.

This. It's just the new era in the NFL... we will see plenty more of it. I for one, think it's complete BS, but I wasn't surprised of the fine.

Reaction score
Going to sound off.... NFL doesn't give a flying f*ck about player safety. This is just like the Tobacco industry being forced to run "anti-smoking ads" for kids and all the other "anti-smoking" shit. Do you really think the Tobacco industry wants kids NOT to smoke... pshht, hell no!

The NFL is trying to cover their ass, and be proactive before they forced to do so due to law suits. But, they don’t give a crap about player safety.

Goodell is getting out of control with his "player safety" rules, fines and suspensions!

It's gotten to the point where you can expect a flag/fine for just about anytime a player gets hit hard and hurt. Powder Puff league shit.

Reaction score
Amen. If the NFL TRULY cared about player safety... they would give their players a MUCH better form of health insurance after they retire... it's one of the stingiest healthcare programs I have ever seen. Give me a break. The average life span of an NFL player is at an all time low, and they get nothing when they retire. What a crock.

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Going to sound off.... NFL doesn't give a flying f*ck about player safety. This is just like the Tobacco industry being forced to run "anti-smoking ads" for kids and all the other "anti-smoking" shit. Do you really think the Tobacco industry wants kids NOT to smoke... pshht, hell no!

The NFL is trying to cover their ass, and be proactive before they forced to do so due to law suits. But, they don’t give a crap about player safety.

Goodell is getting out of control with his "player safety" rules, fines and suspensions!

It's gotten to the point where you can expect a flag/fine for just about anytime a player gets hit hard and hurt. Powder Puff league shit.

All about the Benjamins. Just like this ref BS. Not letting them have a pension, they should be treated just like the players, they are the elite of thier trade.

Just out of curiousity, has all this player safety shit actually reduced the number of injuries? It isn't widely publized so I betting it hasn't had much of an impact.

Just saying, offer me a couple million and I'll run the risk of injury.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c8823a/printable/leagues-official-player-safety-rules

3. "Blindside" Block. It is an illegal "blindside" block if the initial force of the contact by a blocker's helmet (including facemask), forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of an opponent when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches his opponent from behind or from the side.

I wouldn't call it a blind side. I can see how someone might call it Launching but I think Tate "squatting" was because he was being careful to avoid the head. His approach was from the side, but the block was square in the front. There was no contact with the neck or head.

I think Lee's momentum was the biggest part of the force of the impact, not Tates blocking action.

The rule was changed this year to include "parallel to his own endline." Last year, this would not have been called.

Top Bottom