• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ruskell's drafts

Reaction score
So I was looking at some of his drafts...

The Good:

His last draft when he traded Alphonso Smith....... This Guy (then known as the 37th overall pick) For Earl Thomas (then known as the Bronco's 2010 1st round pick)

This is about to get real negative, so other good picks he made (off the top of my head):
Red Bryant
Brandon Mebane
Justin Forsett
Josh Wilson
Leroy Hill
Lofa Tatupu

The Bad:

There's a lot to choose from, you can go to that same draft where we took Curry, or to when we took Lawerence Jackson, or really most of his other 1st rounders.

The Ugly:

This is what really got me... I was looking back at the draft when we trade our 1st rounder for Deion Branch... Here's a list of some of the better players that went in between where our 1st round pick would have been and our 2nd rounder:

Ben Grubbs, Justin Blalock, Robert Meachem (better than Branch at least), Eric Weddle, Paul Posluszny, Tony Ugoh, Lamarr Woodley, David Harris, Steve Smith, Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, Alan Branch

Notice anything about those last three? lol

But here's the player that really got me... We traded our pick, which turned out being 24th overall (turned our being Brandon Meriiweather) with the 25th pick the Carolina Panthers selected.... JON BEASON who, in my opinion, is every bit as good as Patrick Willis.

Now at that time we had Julian Peterson, Lofa was still good, and Leroy Hill... But in hindsight, could you imagine? We probably don't draft Curry if we draft Beason with that pick.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
While I agree with the overall sentiment, I do not think you can put Earl Thomas' name in direct connection. Ruskell did not make the pick. With his drafting history, odds are that he would not have made that pick. Additionally, the Broncos could have selected any player at 37. So saying Ruskell traded Alphonso Smith for Earl Thomas is a bit misleading.

There were also some damn good players taken after our picks in the first round in 2005 and 2006.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
While I agree with the overall sentiment, I do not think you can put Earl Thomas' name in direct connection. Ruskell did not make the pick. With his drafting history, odds are that he would not have made that pick. Additionally, the Broncos could have selected any player at 37. So saying Ruskell traded Alphonso Smith for Earl Thomas is a bit misleading.

There were also some damn good players taken after our picks in the first round in 2005 and 2006.

Yeah, I guess that's true.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Don't forget Jennings, I mean, you just cant 'whiff' on that many 1st rounders and keep a job in the NFL.

Also wasnt he the main orchestrator or the Hutchenson debacle?

Not saying Russell was all bad, but John Schnieder is outdoing him so far.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
I didn't forget him, I just didn't mention him.

And this is about drafts, not how he handled free agency.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
It does sort of look like that... That wasn't my intent

<--------- 4,000th post promotes me to general manager in a thread about a general manager.

Top Bottom