• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

QB competition

What will the Seahawks depth chart at QB look like on opening day?

• Jackson-Wilson-Flynn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wilson-Jackson-Flynn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
We all know about the looming training camp/preseason battle between Jackson and Flynn. But rumor has it Russell Wilson has shown enough in rookie camp that he might be inserted into the competion as well.

S

Seattlehawk94

Typical CSH....Always looking for the newest micromachine he get's....Newest is the best ya know...

Like a fucking child....With ADD....

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
I think Wilson has more upside than Flynn or Jackson. I just don't think he's the starter this season. I also think Jackson will play very well this preseason, but all Flynn has to do in not be terrible to win the job I think.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm rooting for Wilson. No idea if he will be good, but other than his height, I like everything else about him better than either Flynn or Jackson.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
He has everything except for height... I mean if he is that top 10 talent eveyone thinks he is, maybe he can overcome being short. We would have to run a lot of bootlegs and stuff like the Saints do with Brees. It'll be interesting to see how they split reps in training camp and preseason. I'm not sure if this is being used as extra motivation for Flynn and Jackson or a confidence boost for Wilson or if this is actually going to be an open competition amongst the three... Personally I don't see us handing the offense over to Wilson right away, I think he'll have a more legitimate shot at winning the starting job next year.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. He probably sits this year. One thing's for sure, Jackson won't be back next year (barring something catastrophic).

Reaction score
Listen to the Hugh Millen interview w/ Mitch on KJR ( I would link it, but work comp blocks KJR site).

He talks about the potential issues Wilson will have with vision. He said when he was in the league, playing at 6'4"+ he had issues with vision/visibilaty about 1 out of every 3 plays. He also touched on the frequency of batted down passes due to Wilsons' height. It's just Hugh, but still doesnt give me much optimism.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I would say Hugh Millen's problems were more because he is Hugh Millen and he just was not that good. Wilson played behind the biggest o-line in college football at an average height of 6'6"-6'7" and had fewer batted balls than Luck or RGIII. That should give you a little optimism (it at least did for me).

Idahawk

Reaction score
Smaller QB's work from a different set of rules. They look for lanes and throw the receiver open while feeling the pressure around them. Kellen Moore spoke about this with Gruden because Moore's pocket presence impressed him so much . Russell is the same type of passer , its over before you know it and the ball is gone, hard to defend.

I see Russell with some packages this season, some wildcat stuff maybe ? I don't see letting a third round QB pick just sit when you need to know " what you have " sooner than later ". If Flynn isn't the golden child and you have seen enough TJ then Wilson could be mopping up. I just hope it doesn't get ugly in the locker room.

Reaction score
I would say Hugh Millen's problems were more because he is Hugh Millen and he just was not that good.

You would be right in saying so.

He still raises some valid concerns. It would be naturally difficult to have good vision down the field when you're inside the pocket and a hair over 5'10". I have heard that about the lack of batted down passes in Wisconsin, but I would be curious to see how many of his throws last year were outside the pocket compared to inside. I don't know if that statistic is out there...?

Overall, I still think Flynn wins the starting job, and suspect a close competition between TJack and Wilson. Should make for an entertaining training camp and preseason.

Reaction score
I just hope it doesn't ugly in the locker room.

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Flynn and Wilson are both high character guys. TJack has been in QB competition/controversy his whole career short of last season. He's always seemed to handle himself well and professionally.

The issue I see with 3 guys competing for the starting position, is splitting time with the first unit offense. Ultimately you'd like to know who your projected starter is going into preseason, and let the other guys battle it out for the 2nd and 3rd spot.

spudland

Huddler
Reaction score
Wilson is to short and will never make it at the NFL level.

I'm sure that was never said about Drew Brees...or Doug Flutie for that matter. You fool. Go watch Gruden's QB Camp and a little film of this guy in college. He's got it all. Smart as hell, too.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I'm sure that was never said about Drew Brees...or Doug Flutie for that matter. You fool. Go watch Gruden's QB Camp and a little film of this guy in college. He's got it all. Smart as hell, too.

LOL , where have I heard this before . Its the old double standard at work.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Flynn and Wilson are both high character guys. TJack has been in QB competition/controversy his whole career short of last season. He's always seemed to handle himself well and professionally.

The issue I see with 3 guys competing for the starting position, is splitting time with the first unit offense. Ultimately you'd like to know who your projected starter is going into preseason, and let the other guys battle it out for the 2nd and 3rd spot.

Its not usually the Qb's that are the problem, its the other guys . You will have the guys that believe TJ deserves another shot because of injury and the beating he took , the guys who see Flynn as the answer and the guys who see a 3rd round draft pick that should be starting. Anytime you have a job up for grabs it can get ugly and feeling get hurt.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
And to be fair, I was never super anti-Moore, I just said later rounds, 4-7 and, since we, at the time, did not have a 4th rounder, that meant 5-7.

Reaction score
You can still root for Moore and the Lions. They've become the Seahawks of the midwest, taking several of our cast offs the past few years.

Top Bottom