• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

New Marshall update

Reaction score
Only 4 of those receivers had more TD's than him - 10 TD's last year.

We don't have anybody on our team that can do that, I haven't looked up the stat but I don't think our receivers combined for that many last year... not counting Carlson.

mlemour

Huddler
Reaction score
Would you be interested in drafting Golden Tate with second round pick?

Reaction score
#ONE;47186 said:
Only 4 of those receivers had more TD's than him - 10 TD's last year.

We don't have anybody on our team that can do that, I haven't looked up the stat but I don't think our receivers combined for that many last year... not counting Carlson.

I think Housh could come close if not surpass it if we have a healthy Hasselbeck which starts up front with the line.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Carlson had seven. Our other receivers combined for eight.

I agree with 96. Housh can do that if we get the burner on the outside. Something Marshall was not - as evidenced by his low YPC.

knownone

Huddler
Reaction score
YPC doesn't mean much at all, Denver ran a dink and dunk system... look at YAC he was #1 in the league in that stat.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Link?

YPC does mean that much. Without that nominalization, you have his 20 reception game clouding the stats. Even with that nominalization that one game clouds it. One fifth of his season's production, that's 20%, came out of one game. What about the other 15?

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Well I wanted Marshall, and I do believe he is an impact player. I don't think if we had gotten him anyone would be saying otherwise.

Dez does sound like a fool when he speaks. I was wondering how he kept his grades up to play in college the kid is about as literate as a brick.

We all know LT is the highest priority for this team, and now with Kerney gone as well there is another hole. Hill and his problems has caused a bit of a problem as well, but I believe Hawthorne is impressive and would like to see if he could make the move to outside.

I felt we could have left this draft with a LT, Marshall, and either a DE or DB and been happy with the turn out. We may be 5 or 6 players away from a SB, but not from taking the division. We could have won it with little resistance if we simply stabilize the line and added an impact player on both sides.

I felt our biggest problem last year was the staff. Mora and co. did nothing but confuse our players with laughable schemes, it was hard to see any production even out of our best players. Now that the staff is tossed, hopefully this one will pan out. It is looking more promising than before but I am still on record with wanting Frazier over Pete.

If our O can get some production and stop punting 24/7 our D will get some rest instead of playing themselves into injuries from being on the field all day.

Right now I see LT and DB/DE as our biggest needs. The only reason it was worth even looking at sacrificing for a WR was because Marshall was young and would be with us as we bring in a new QB and is an amazing and proven talent. We missed out, but hopefully we can stick the original plan.

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
actually, other 14. He was suspended for his last game. And sorry - YPC does mean a lot. It is easy to catch 8 balls a game when they are little dump passes. But 4 yards on 1st or 2nd and 10 (when the CB is giving an 8 yard cushion) doesn't mean a whole lot.

As for YAC - he didn't lead the league in that stat. Neither in total YAC or average YAC per reception. In fact, A Gates had the same YAC on 22 fewer receptions.

Doesn't matter anyway... 2 2nd round picks and $50M is just a little too much for him. And he's already gone. Not sure what we'll do for a #1, but perhaps one of the Williams twins will surprise us.

[ame="http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/year/2009/seasontype/2"]2009 NFL Player Receiving Stats - National Football League - ESPN[/ame]

CHawks4life29

Huddler
Reaction score
Striker;47219 said:
I felt our biggest problem last year was the staff. Mora and co. did nothing but confuse our players with laughable schemes, it was hard to see any production even out of our best players. Now that the staff is tossed, hopefully this one will pan out. It is looking more promising than before but I am still on record with wanting Frazier over Pete.

If our O can get some production and stop punting 24/7 our D will get some rest instead of playing themselves into injuries from being on the field all day.

Striker you said it right there the Hawks staff was the problem and for your team to really do anything you need to keep your Off. on the field more then 4min at a time & the Def playing 3/4 of the game will take a toll on you and that's what happen.

Now don't get me wrong I liked Marshall, but after looking further What if and this is a what if, he got back into his old ways Then he would have been suspended and there goes our 2nd round pick watching FB from home. I like the fact that the Hawks looked at the Williams they are big WR and I feel its a win win for us. If they work out and play how they were drafted to play then we did well for cheap, If they mess up and go back to there old ways we don't lose anything as if it were Marshall.
Right now the Hawks put a Patch on an area that needed to be fixed now does that patch stick or does it fall off, only time will tell and I really think it will stick. Now we can focus on the main area and thats play makers on both sides of the ball There are so many ways the Hawks can go into this draft and I really think they will surprise us bu will do whats best for the team.

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Don't count Branch out yet... Knapp's offense ignored him, but Bates knows how to use a guy like him. We all know he has speed and talent - it's just if he will be motivated, which stems from him feeling like he's wanted and integrated into the offense.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
I remember Branch being interviewed about his injuries and admitting he lost a step on his speed. He apparently was in a lot of pain for a while. I don't expect much from branch and never liked the move in the first place when we traded our 1st rounder for him. But what is done is done, Ruskell is gone, and the NFL draft is just days away.

What bothers me though is we have not addressed the O-line issue...and from many peoples Mocks and even posts here on the forums we just seem to veer off the course of that LT/OG with our first rounders and instead snatching up talent guys like CJ and Eric and with Kerney gone some are reaching for a DE.

Are yall confident we can dig deep in the late round and fill out our line. Or do you think their is a trade in the midst for a Lineman already in the league?

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
It is a difficult year to do anything with the OL in FA. There weren't any good UFAs. There are a couple RFAs, but they aren't really worth the required draft picks. I still expect to see us trade down in the 1st round... maybe twice... and still get Charles Brown. I must be missing something - everyone is talking about OG, but I don't see that as a need. We have Willis going back to RG, Unger/Spencer at C and LG, and Gibson battling for a G or OT position. Now... there is also the possibility that Jones is healed and has a year left in him and Carrol has been quiet about it to mask our draft day intentions.

We've done little in FA, so I have to have faith that they have some eyes on what to do in the draft.

knownone

Huddler
Reaction score
D Hawk;47220 said:
actually, other 14. He was suspended for his last game. And sorry - YPC does mean a lot. It is easy to catch 8 balls a game when they are little dump passes. But 4 yards on 1st or 2nd and 10 (when the CB is giving an 8 yard cushion) doesn't mean a whole lot.

As for YAC - he didn't lead the league in that stat. Neither in total YAC or average YAC per reception. In fact, A Gates had the same YAC on 22 fewer receptions.

Doesn't matter anyway... 2 2nd round picks and $50M is just a little too much for him. And he's already gone. Not sure what we'll do for a #1, but perhaps one of the Williams twins will surprise us.

2009 NFL Player Receiving Stats - National Football League - ESPN
Talking strictly about #1 wideouts not TEs gates is going against linebackers not #1 corners.
He is #1 in YAC total and average... YPC isn't a useless stat but it's much less telling on a wideouts ability.

Look at a guy like DeSean Jackson he has a higher YPC than Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Reggie Wayne is he a better wideout than those 3? It's not necessarily how far down the field you catch the ball it's what you do with it and a guy like Brandon Marshall is catching 3 yard pass and turning it into a 10 yard gain that 2 me is more impressive than a fast guy hitting a home run every so often.

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
D Hawk;47463 said:
It is a difficult year to do anything with the OL in FA. There weren't any good UFAs. There are a couple RFAs, but they aren't really worth the required draft picks. I still expect to see us trade down in the 1st round... maybe twice... and still get Charles Brown. I must be missing something - everyone is talking about OG, but I don't see that as a need. We have Willis going back to RG, Unger/Spencer at C and LG, and Gibson battling for a G or OT position. Now... there is also the possibility that Jones is healed and has a year left in him and Carrol has been quiet about it to mask our draft day intentions.

We've done little in FA, so I have to have faith that they have some eyes on what to do in the draft.

spencer isn't that good a guard

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Number 18;47469 said:
Apparently they really liked Spencer back at Center after the mini camp last week.

We have to keep in mind... he was playing with a broken hand most of last year. Gibbs will work with him and help him live up to all that potential. Spencer has shown signs of being able to be good... he just hasn't put it together yet. But I really think he will.

Reaction score
D-Hawk... how long have you been a hawks fan?

you are WAY too optimistic about this team.. lol

I don't think Spencer struggles because he had a broken finger, it's because he doesn't play very hard and is what I would label a "pussy" offensive lineman.

I remember a screen pass to Forsett in the broncos preseason game last year, where Justin would've gone all the way, but instead of throwing his block down field Spencer intentionally avoided the defender and hobbled off to the side cause he "twisted" his little ankle... poor baby.

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Since 1975... I count from when the team was awarded, not when they started playing. And as a Seahawk fan, optimism is a pre-requisite! I just don't think we are as far away as some people... a few key positions and a real offense will make a big difference.

Evidently Spencer has found new life. Gibbs is working him... we'll see!

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
There is no dominant team in the west right now and many teams have took 4-12, 5-11 seasons and flipped their wins and loses the very next season.

Top Bottom