• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

M's Staying quiet about Free Agency

Reaction score
12thMan said:
So far the Mariners have not said if they are going after anyone in particular. I am expecting at least to bring in 1 more ace starting pitcher, maybe 1 or 2 big bats. Either that or we will be the sellers.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/ar ... p&c_id=sea
If you go out and spend the money to make a good team you'll get that money back in merchandise and ticket sales. I've heard rumors of John Lackey as well as trading for Edwin Jackson and Curtis Granderson.

Reaction score
We do not have the ammunition to pull off a trade to bring in Granderson and Jackson as much as I really like both of those guys. There's not a lot of big name players out there this year. We need to re-sign our guys.

OP

12thMan

Huddler
Reaction score
We offer Felix abbirition, re sign DA, Washburn comes back after a short stint in Detroit and sign Lacky or a big bat.

Reaction score
There's no need for us to trade for Granderson with Ackley only being probably a year away from being our starting LF. I'm fine with Jackson but sending extras players to Detroit for a year of Granderson is stupid.

Reaction score
seahawkscott19 said:
There's no need for us to trade for Granderson with Ackley only being probably a year away from being our starting LF. I'm fine with Jackson but sending extras players to Detroit for a year of Granderson is stupid.
Ackley played 1st base when he was recovering from surgery so he could play somewhere in the infield if they do decide to pick up Granderson and keep him for a while. They'll have a spot for him at 3B since Beltre won't be coming back.

Reaction score
phaZe said:
seahawkscott19 said:
Ackley played 1st base when he was recovering from surgery so he could play somewhere in the infield if they do decide to pick up Granderson and keep him for a while. They'll have a spot for him at 3B since Beltre won't be coming back.

Ackley's best value is in LF so why would you want him as an infielder? Plus we have Saunders, whose cheaper and isn't a whole lot worse than Granderson. Trading young, cheap players for a guy we don't really need, who's going to get $24 million over the next 3 years, isn't a good move for us right now.

Reaction score
seahawkscott19 said:
phaZe said:
seahawkscott19 said:

Ackley's best value is in LF so why would you want him as an infielder? Plus we have Saunders, whose cheaper and isn't a whole lot worse than Granderson. Trading young, cheap players for a guy we don't really need, who's going to get $24 million over the next 3 years, isn't a good move for us right now.
Why wouldn't you pick up a guy like Granderson who hit 30 homers last year? Power is something the Mariners lacked in the 2009 season. Granderson brings speed, a good bat and good defense. All Saunders has is good defense.

If they bring back Branyan add Granderson and pickup somebody decent to cover 3B they'll have a good chance of making the playoffs.

Reaction score
Sure it'd be nice to have Granderson, but you have to look at what we would have to give up to get him. At this point, the M's don't exactly have a huge stockpile of good prospects and we don't need any more outfielders. Basically, we'd be sacrificing depth at another position to get a guy we will not need in a year. Z can find better ways of using that money without having to further weaken our farm system.

Reaction score
I agree with pretty everything scott has said. And phaZe how the hell does Ackley playing 1st base mean he can play the infield? Adam Dunn can play first base. But would you want to move him to another infield position? hahaha could you picture him at shortstop? Also I don't know why you're so convinced Beltre's not coming back. Dude plays amazing D and when healthy is a decent presence in the lineup. He'd definitely benefit from some bats around him, but the FA market is pretty thin this year. We also could use a catcher with Johjima going back to Japan. Tim Kuhrkjin (or however the fuck you spell it) last night said the Mets should be the most active team in Free Agency because they need a corner outfielder, a catcher and a couple arms and they're one of the few teams who could use Lackey and Holliday. We could use both of them although I really don't want Holliday. And our list of needs is very similar to the ones he listed for the Mets plus we need to sign Felix long term and our 1B and 3B are FAs... Sounds like we should be active, but I just don't see us shelling out big bucks for a bunch of guys. That doesn't seem like Z's style. He made one huge move last off season after that it was a few little move here.

Reaction score
"Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik just told some of us writers in a conference call that the team will have No. 1 draft pick Dustin Ackley , a left fielder, work out at second base and then attempt to play there in the minors this coming season." - Seattle Times (about an hour ago)

That means the future for Lopez will be 1st base when Ackley is ready to come up. Lopez played a lot of 1st at the end of the year when Branyan was having back problems.

Reaction score
Almost forgot...the M's added guys to the 40-man roster today, but left room for 3 more guys. That could be a sign that Mariners are going to go after 3 guys in free agency.

Reaction score
Also those spots might be for guys they want to claim off of the Rule 5 Draft. In order to claim someone you must have spots on your 40-man roster to do so.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger said:
If we don't re-sign Beltre, Tui will be playing 3rd.
Marco Scutaro has said that the Mariners are one of 4 teams that have approached him. Tui probably won't be starting for a few more years.

Reaction score
That's fantastic, but Scutaro wouldn't be starting at 3B. He probably wouldn't be starting anywhere. He'd probably be a utility guy. Tui WILL start if AB doesn't come back. There's no reason for him not to.

Reaction score
Beltre is the only Free Agent to be that was offered arbitration. I would have liked to see Branyan offered arbitration, but out of all the FAs I want Beltre back the most.

Top Bottom