• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mariners off season moves

Reaction score
So far the Mariners have traded away Jose Lopez to the Rockies for a pitching prospect, non-tendered Ryan Rowlad-Smith, re-signed Erik Bedard, and today they signed Jack Cust.

Reaction score
Cust is definitely an upgrade at DH. Hopefully he can hit a few more homers this season since he only hit 13 last season.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
bobflipaburger;52142 said:
So far the Mariners have traded away Jose Lopez to the Rockies for a pitching prospect, non-tendered Ryan Rowlad-Smith, re-signed Erik Bedard, and today they signed Jack Cust.
I like what theyve dont so far. A lot of people wont agree with re-signing Bedard, but I am crossing my fingers he will finally be healthy for a year. If thats the case, hes proven to be one of the nastier left handers in the game.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
And for cheap too. If he can come back Felix, Bedard, Pineda, Vargas, and Fister is a great looking young rotation.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
bobflipaburger;52147 said:
And for cheap too. If he can come back Felix, Bedard, Pineda, Vargas, and Fister is a great looking young rotation.
Definitely. Just gotta find a way to produce some runs this year.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
This team is going to suck. Last years offense had three major league hitters and two of those three were bad(Figgins and Guiti). Cust is 31 years old hit just 13 bombs and was in the minors last year even. I'm not going to get worked up but this team doesn't get it.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
kdawg2980;52149 said:
This team is going to suck. Last years offense had three major league hitters and two of those three were bad(Figgins and Guiti). Cust is 31 years old hit just 13 bombs and was in the minors last year even. I'm not going to get worked up but this team doesn't get it.
Jacky Z thought pitching, defense, and speed alone would win for us last year. Obviously he was wrong. Your lineup needs some pop in order to produce. I think he knows this. Cust didnt produce very well last year or even the year before that, but there is no doubt he has pop. And in a ballpark that is generous to left handed hitters, I like the move. They only signed him for one year. 31 years old is not that old in the MLB, and lack of homeruns doesnt mean he has lost his power. I dont think they will win the west, and still think they are a year or two away, but I do think they can compete if they add some pop in their lineup. Their pitching staff should be great.

Reaction score
Sounds like the Mariners signed catcher Miguel Olivo to a 2-year contract. People aren't sure if the deal is with the Mariners, but they know Seattle is his likely destination.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
Lineup should look like:

C - Olivo/ Moore
1st - Smoak/ Branyan: Platoon
2nd - Ackley
3rd - Figgy
SS - ??? (Jack Skeleton I guess...)
RF - Ichiro
CF - Guti
LF - Bradley/ Saunders: Platoon
DH - Jack Cust

Not bad I guess. We should resign Beltre though and move Figgy to SS. That would make us a competitor in our division. BUT we all know that won't happen so be prepared for yet again, another terrible season.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
Branyan is a free agent and Smoak is a switch hitter so even if we did have Branyan it wouldn't make any sense to platoon them.

Also Ackley might not make the team out of ST. They're looking for another guy to play 2nd to challenge him for the job.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
The Olivo signing isn't official yet, but it is indded the Mariners who have reached an agreement with him.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
bobflipaburger;52162 said:
Branyan is a free agent and Smoak is a switch hitter so even if we did have Branyan it wouldn't make any sense to platoon them.

Also Ackley might not make the team out of ST. They're looking for another guy to play 2nd to challenge him for the job.

That's true about Branyan but in the event Smoak needs a break or day off, Branyan could step in. Ackley will start, period. I think there is absolutely no way they leave on the bench as hot as he has been.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
I don't know if Branyan would accept a role as a back up... Especially with the Cust signing. I think we'll see Mike Carp on the team. Ackley won fall league MVP which means pretty much nothing for his chances to make the team. If he doesn't look ready in ST he won't start the year on the team.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
bobflipaburger;52184 said:
I don't know if Branyan would accept a role as a back up... Especially with the Cust signing. I think we'll see Mike Carp on the team. Ackley won fall league MVP which means pretty much nothing for his chances to make the team. If he doesn't look ready in ST he won't start the year on the team.

He wont' start the year on the team even if he hits 1.000 in ST. He'll start off in the minors to avoid his abritration clock much like what Tampa did to Longoria and what Baltimore did to Wieters.

This Mariners team is destine to lose another 90+ games which means Jack Z will be fired which is to bad I actually like him. Unlike Bavasi he didn't have any atomic bomb signings(Silva, Sexson, Washburn, Batista, and Spiezo, etc). The signings of his that suck are one year deals.

I just think a lineup with rookies like Ackley, Smoak, Saunders, possibly Moore and with Pineda in your rotation is good for building towards the future but for next season is a recipe for disaster.

Nice knowing you Jack Z. Sucks you only got three years to undo five shitty years of Bavasi.

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
I REALLY wish we would have made a serious play for Adam Dunn. There aren't really any big time bats out there now...

OP
bobflipaburger
Reaction score
Saw an article today suggesting the Mariners package Nick Franklin, Michael Pineda, and a couple other prospects for Zach Grienke.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger;52203 said:
Saw an article today suggesting the Mariners package Nick Franklin, Michael Pineda, and a couple other prospects for Zach Grienke.
Grienke isn't that great. Pineda is better than him.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger;52207 said:
Lol so Pineda has a Cy Young, huh? In 2009 Grienke had an INSANE year.
He may not be better right now, but in the long run he has the potential to be better than Grienke.

I'd rather see what Pineda can do in the majors than send him off with a few other prospects for Grienke. I think he has a good chance of making the rotation this season if he has a good spring training.

Top Bottom