• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mariners aquire SS wilson, SP Snell from pirates.

Reaction score
(i originally posted this in the wrong forum)

It's a done deal. The Mariners just announced that they have acquired
shortstop Jack Wilson and right-handed pitcher Ian Snell from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for shortstop Ronny Cedeno, minor league catcher/first baseman Jeff Clement and minor league right-handed pitchers Nathan Adcock, Brett Lorin and Aaron Pribanic.

"This was an opportunity for us to acquire a veteran shortstop, a former All-Star player, with leadership qualities and above average defensive skills,'' Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik said in a press release. "As we move forward over the next few years it is nice to know that we have solidified the shortstop position,

"We also acquired Ian Snell, a talented pitcher with Major League experience who now has an opportunity re-start his career after a very successful re-assignment in Indianapolis."

Cedeno will join the Pirates. Clement has been assigned to Triple-A Indianapolis. Pribanic and Lorin have been assigned to Single-A West Virginia of the South Atlantic League and Adcock will join Single-A Lynchburg of the Carolina League.

Wilson will take over a\s the Mariners' regular shortstop, and Snell is likely to join the Mariners' rotation.

Wilson, 31, is in the final year of a three-year, $20.2 million contract that pays him $7.25 million this season. He has an $8.4 million option for 2010 with a $600,000 buyout.

Wilson has spent his entire major league career with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Since 2006, Wilson has the fourth-highest fielding percentage among all major-league shortstops (.980). He was an All-Star in 2004 and is hitting .267 with four homers and 31 runs batted in this season, with 18 doubles.

Snell, 27, is 2-2, with a 0.96 ERA in six starts with AAA Indianapolis this season. He has struck out 47 in 37.1 innings. He started the season with the Pirates and was 2-8 with a 5.36 ERA in 15 starts. Snell was a 14-game winner for the Pirates in 2006 and considered one of the NL's rising young pitchers until struggling the last two-plus seasons,.

Cedeno, 26, had taken over as the Mariners' regular shortstop following the trade of Yuniesky Betancourt, but was struggling at the plate. Cedeno is in the midst of an 0-for-26 slump and his average is sitting at .167. He arrived from the Cubs in the offseason with Garrett Olson in a trade for Aaron Heilman.

"Ronny is a solid Major League defensive-oriented shortstop," said Pittsburgh GM Neal Huntington in a Pirates release. "We feel we can help him become more productive with the bat, while his defense helps our pitching staff."

Clement, 25, was the third overall pick in the star-studded draft of 2005, a left-handed-hitting catcher out of USC. But he has had knee problems that have kept him from catching for much of this season. He has been playing DH and first base for Tacoma but is reportedly healthy again and ready to resume catching in the near future.

Clement was hitting .288 with Class AAA Tacoma with 14 homers and 68 RBI. He had a .366 on-base percentage. In 75 games with the Mariners in 2007-08, Clement hit .237 with five homers and 23 RBI.

"Our scouts have consistently projected Clement to be an everyday Major League contributor with the power to hit 20-plus home runs," Huntington said. "He has been an extremely highly-regarded prospect since he was drafted third overall in 2005 and has performed consistently since then, showing the tools to be a quality offensive player."

Adock was 5-7, 5.29 in 21 games, 19 starts with High Desert in the California League this season. Lorin (5-4, 2.44 in 16 GS) and Pribanic (7-6, 3.21 in 17 GS) were both pitching with Clinton in the Midwest League.

Adcock was a fifth-round draft choice in 2006; Lorin was a fifth-round pick in 2008; Pribanic was a third-round pick in 2008.

"Aaron has been highly regarded since he was drafted in the third round out of the University of Nebraska in 2008 by Seattle," Huntington said of Pribanic.. "He put up excellent numbers in his first full professional season. He has a heavy four-seam fastball that reaches up to 93 miles per hour and a two-seam fastball with significant sinking and tailing life low in the zone that has allowed him to get ground balls."

Of Lorin, he said: "Brett has been noted by our scouts for his plus makeup, competitive nature and desire to win and succeed. He complements his solid fastball that can touch the mid-90s with a curveball that has shown tight rotation and the form to project to an above-average Major-League curveball."

And of Adcock: "Nathan has shown our scouts quality pitching instincts, including a curveball that was ranked the best in Seattle's system by Baseball America. Despite pitching in the worst pitcher's park in baseball in High Desert of the California League, Adcock has shown the ability to get ground balls with an advanced three-pitch mix and the ability to locate his 91-plus mile per hour fastball, which are crucial tools in a Major League pitcher."

Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot to post this...

Love this trade, Snell has electric stuff and Wilson is an upgrade over Cedeno.

Reaction score
Anyone else care to weigh in on how Z is amazing? I can't believe how awesome of a GM he's been for us... Every move it gold.

This one he took a shortstop that had absolutely NO trade value at the beginning of the year he was just looking for a team. And Clement, his stock fell considerably when he went from catcher the first base. Throw 3 minor leaguers and we get a pitcher with tons of potential, and a shortstop that can really play his position.. Now granted his offense isn't great, but cedeno was only hitting like .160 so if he can do better than 1 hit ever 6 ABs he'll be fine. Plus he gives us a solid number 2 hitter, the guy that can bunt or hit the ball the other way.

Ichiro
Wilson
Lopez
Branyan
Gutierrez
Griffey
Johnson/Johjima
Saunders
Hannahan/Woodward

Looks like a much more conventional line up and we're getting Beltre back next week.

Season is far from over!

Reaction score
Ichiro
Wilson
Lopez
Beltre
Branyan
Gutierrez
Griffey/Sweeney
Johnson/Johjima
Saunders

Or something like that. Man...we have a lot of good hitters now, I'm really hoping they can get on a run and catch the red hot Angels.

BCheezy59

Huddler
Reaction score
It was an ok deal. Ian Snell can be pretty solid, but let's not act like we burned anybody here. We gave up garbage, and we got a couple of above-average players. In all probability, Jack Wilson will continue to struggle at the plate and somebody else will come in and take his job. It was definetely a good deal nonetheless and I'm very happy to get rid of Cedeno.

Overall, we've moved in the right direction.

Who we've give up:
JJ Putz
Sean Green
Yuniesky Betancourt
Ronny Cedeno
Vladamier Balentien
Jeff Clement
Jeremy Reed
Jarrod Washburn

Who we've snagged:
Franklin Gutierez
Derrick Saito
Daniel Cortez (AAA pitcher of the year)
Mike Carp
Ian Snell
Jack Wilson
Robert Manuel
Jason Vargas
Aaron Heilman
Endy Chavez
Luke French
Mauricio Robles

I just wish less of those guys were pitcher and more of them were top prospects OFers / Left side of the infield guys.

Reaction score
Don't forget getting rid of Aaron Heilman to get Olsen... Olsen hasn't been great, especially as of late... but he's stepped up when we needed him to.

And I think we robbed Pittsburgh... Ian Snell has great stuff and has the potential to be a dominating pitcher... He'll be a great number 3 starter behind Felix and Arlodis Chapman (I can dream, ok? lol). Jack Wilson is a better hitter than Cedeno and Betancourt plus he's one of the best defensive shortstops in the league.

Also I don't see how you can complain about not getting outfielders when we got Franklin Gutierrez... Not like Ichiro is going anywhere and I'm excited to see what we've got in Saunders, I like what I've seen defensively.. As soon as he learns how to get around on that inside pitch I think we've really got something.

BCheezy59

Huddler
Reaction score
Gutierez will be the guy in center field for a while, and hopefully he keeps improving. He had a shaky start and I was almost ready to give up on him when he surged, and now it's looking like he MIGHT get to 30 HRs. We really need the power threats, not just defensive stars. What I'm really complaining about here is the lack of consistency from the entire left side of the field. Offensively. No more of this Balentein / Reed / Endy Chavez carousell crap. I want the answer sooner in LF and SS rather than later. Jack Wilson is 31 keep in mind.

Reaction score
BCheezy59 said:
Gutierez will be the guy in center field for a while, and hopefully he keeps improving. He had a shaky start and I was almost ready to give up on him when he surged, and now it's looking like he MIGHT get to 30 HRs. We really need the power threats, not just defensive stars. What I'm really complaining about here is the lack of consistency from the entire left side of the field. Offensively. No more of this Balentein / Reed / Endy Chavez carousell crap. I want the answer sooner in LF and SS rather than later. Jack Wilson is 31 keep in mind.

I love that we have a lot of good defensive players, and I never even came close to giving up on Guti I have the mindset that all of this offensive is a bonus... And there's no way he hits 30 HRs this year (if that's what you meant) but I think he does have 20-30 HR potential, he's got a lot more pop than I thought he had. We don't NEED power threats, but we do need to score more runs... Hopefully Beltre can provide some of that, I think that his shoulder injury robbed all of his power.

OP
H
Reaction score
Jack wilson is here to stay for a few years, there just isnt anything out there in terms of decent attainable talent in the SS position, He's doing pretty decent in terms of hitting/defense right now, a hell of alot better than what we had with Yuni, i dont tremble every time a ball is hit in his direction or he comes up to bat with a runner on second.

In LF Saunders is basically gonna be our LF next season and look for Langerhans to be his back up, soon as Dustin Ackley is ready he will be put in there but that wont be for a while.

I think Beltre comes back for one more year at a cheaper price, and not because he sucks or anything but he had a bad down year and probably wants to hit free agency at a high instead of an injury year low.

i think this team that we have right now will be out on the field next year, except i dont think Bedard will be around especially if he goes down under the knife again damnit, to think what we GAVE and i say gave because we did, for him, absolutly fuckin junk of a trade, if i had a chance i would punch bavasi in his face.

Reaction score
He fucked this team up so bad before he left... SIlva needs to go.. That contract is fucking retarded.

I really want to see Beltre signed for a 3-4 year deal after this season, and if we can get in on the Arlodis Chapman sweepstakes I would be really excited.

BCheezy59

Huddler
Reaction score
Agree will almost all of your guys' comments except maybe Adrian "15 HRs" Beltre. A home run twice a month doesn't make you a power threat. We need another Russel Branyan to play across from him at third.

Dude, where in the world is Phillipe Amount?? Everyone freaked out when we drafted him, he was bigger than Brandon Morrow at the time. He needs to make a splash. We need duel aces in our rotation. That was working really well with Washburn and Felix.

Reaction score
Beltre will probably be pretty cheap to sign and his defense at third is unrivaled. He's a much better hitter than he's shown so far this season, like I said before I think his shoulder robbed his power and right now he's still getting back into the swing of things after being out for a month and a half so hopefully he'll get hot in time for us to make a run.

Amount was moved to the bullpen in double-A because of shoulder issues I believe. If anyone is coming up and making a splash it's going to be Brandon Morrow, but I'm afraid he may have been so poorly mismanaged that he won't ever be the pitcher he has the potential to be.

Also as grossly overpayed he is and I can't believe I'm saying this, but Kenji Johjima needs more playing time! He's hitting now and he's just been a beast at throwing out runners.

We need to unload Carlos Silva and his huge contract on some laughing stock of a franchise like the Pirates willing to take a flyer on him.

Top Bottom