• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lofa's play

Reaction score
Is it just me or did he forget how to tackle?

He has been playing poorly this preseason and was really inconsistent last year.

He is fast to the ball, but just doesn't make the tackle. He just dives at their ankles and misses.

I don't know what it is, he still led our team in tackles last year, but def is not playing like he played his first 3 years.

Has anyone else noticed it?

S

Seattlehawk94

He didn't play all that well last year...

SI did an vote with NFL players and he was voted "most overrated" in the league last year..

Reaction score
How could he be most over rated? He wasn't even a pro bowler last year and he was injured... I think maybe since he has been so great that tends to magnify his mistakes, but with so many other playmakers on this defense hopefully he can return to form.

S

Seattlehawk94

Don't shoot the messenger...

It was OTHER NFL PLAYERS who said that....In ways, I tend to agree though, he really get's a ton of credit for being really a VERY GOOD player, he's not great but very good. The guys around him make him get so much love...He never really has been a mucker, JP and Hill are muckers who go out there and get their hands dirty play in and play out, I've seen Lofa sometimes kinda giving up on some plays.

He's not in the same league as an Urlacher or a Lewis at MLB, he's a step below which in and of itself is damn good but..You don't FEAR him, no one builds gameplans to stop a Lofa type player..JP, yeah...You gameplan against him...Curry probably will be that guy as well...But Lofa...You stop him and know he can't beat you, Lewis and Urlacher--you HOPE to contain you and hope the others guys don't beat you..

Being great at his position means that you are opening up plays for the rest of the defense..Lofa doesn't warrant that kinda blocking....

When we had Simmons playing between Brown and Darren Smith that LB corps was a force and made the whole defense better because ALL THREE could rush the passer or drop into coverage at any time...Lofa was and never can be an effective guy to rush the passer. Lewis, Urlacher, Taylor, Brown, Merriman, Kirkland (in Pissburgh), Greene, JP, Brooks, those are guys at LB you know could always both stop the run and put pressure on QBs...

In truth Lofa is an undersized Nickleback on most passing plays because he isn't fast enough to get around a corner (for the most part) on blitzes and and not enough size/strength to bullrush his way into the offensive backfield.

I like Lofa...But I don't think he's as great as alot of other Seahawks fans do.

Reaction score
It's also the preseason so he really isn't going to risk getting injured over a tackle. ;)

Lofa has always been a smart player, not an elite tackler.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Lofa has led the team in tackles since his rookie year, been in all pro bowls
I dont get the arguement, he's our captian and the best we got.
He is " the man ".

Reaction score
szat said:
Lofa has led the team in tackles since his rookie year, been in all pro bowls
I dont get the arguement, he's our captian and the best we got.
He is " the man ".

* Except for last year

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Couldnt slip that one by ya...
Well no pro bowl last year, but all other years.

But there are some good ones out there now, MLB's, Its a strong position in the league.
And honestly, I expect the MLB to get most tackles on a team.

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
phaZe said:
It's also the preseason so he really isn't going to risk getting injured over a tackle. ;)

Lofa has always been a smart player, not an elite tackler.

That's the thing. If it were only preseason that he was stinking up, I wouldn't be worried. He also didn't look like himself last year. I don't know maybe it was the D as a whole not working well, causing tatupu to be out of place or misread plays, but he missed a shit load of tackles last year and didn't make any real game changing plays.

Hope all is well this year. If Lofa returns to his Pro bowl self, Curry continues to progress and Leroy continues to lay the iron on fools, we should have a solid LB core.

S

Seattlehawk94

Lofa didn't "Stink it up" last season...The whole defense did for the most part....We gave up too many pass plays deep and couldn't stop the short throws when we actually did get pressure on the QB..

I say he's overrated in ways but that's far from "stinking it up"...

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
Seattlehawk94 said:
Lofa didn't "Stink it up" last season...The whole defense did for the most part....We gave up too many pass plays deep and couldn't stop the short throws when we actually did get pressure on the QB..

I say he's overrated in ways but that's far from "stinking it up"...

I don't know man, I saw Lofa miss an awful lot of tackles last year. Almost Brian Russel'esque.

I recall one game I attended, against the Foreskins, Lofa kept missing a ton of tackles he should have made.

Again, could just be the whole D breaking down, and Lofa trying to pick up other players responsibilites and missing. Who knows. Seeing it again this preseason just hasn't put me at ease.

All I'm saying.

S

Seattlehawk94

I know what you are talking about, sadly...But I really think it's the fact he's not a great open field tackler (hence the overrated thing)...He's much better when he has guys up front who are actually slowing down people coming out of the backfield...His pass coverage is more based on safety help and that's not happening often.

BlueTsunami45

Huddler
Reaction score
Seattlehawk94 said:
I know what you are talking about, sadly...But I really think it's the fact he's not a great open field tackler (hence the overrated thing)...He's much better when he has guys up front who are actually slowing down people coming out of the backfield...His pass coverage is more based on safety help and that's not happening often.

I still think it was our D line that caused most of the problem, they just didn't get the kind of pressure up front that they were noted for the last couple of years. I think the D line has improved and the WHOLE defense will improve because of it. The reality is that Lofa, no matter how good he is, is undersized to be playing in the middle. The guy is an intelligent and very athletic player who gets it done in other ways, and he's been very good at positioning the defense to make plays. I just wonder how long his body will able to take the pounding playing in the middle.

RhewChuryll

Huddler
Reaction score
BlueTsunami45 said:
Seattlehawk94 said:

I still think it was our D line that caused most of the problem, they just didn't get the kind of pressure up front that they were noted for the last couple of years. I think the D line has improved and the WHOLE defense will improve because of it. The reality is that Lofa, no matter how good he is, is undersized to be playing in the middle. The guy is an intelligent and very athletic player who gets it done in other ways, and he's been very good at positioning the defense to make plays. I just wonder how long his body will able to take the pounding playing in the middle.

I think what Blue says makes the case for Lofa. I am one of those guys that love Lofa's play making abilities and his uncanny ability to getting open for a certain play or positioning the Defense to make a play. Maybe he hasn't been wrapping up for the tackle...I've seen that ALOT last year from alot of defensive players, maybe he wasn't wrapping up for the big plays, like he has in the past. Maybe its due to his injury?

I am trying to remember that one freaking play where Lofa almost knocked his ass out, hitting a running back trying to cut the corner...anyone remember that play? I believe it was his rookie year?

Yea, I wish he would make plays like that ALL year long, but Lofa, LIKE Matt with the offense, has certain responsibilities to the defense, and I for one, don't want to see him getting knocked out, and put out of the game because he went GUNG F'ing Ho on some dude. Tackle with passion, don't half ass tackle yes, but don't go being stupid on some dude, when the whole defense is supposed to attack as a unit.

But like I said before I havn't exactly honed in on Lofa this past year, i was more focused on not killing my fellow Seahawk brothers who have given up on their team. GRRRRR

BlueTsunami45

Huddler
Reaction score
Let me refresh your memory RC,

I am trying to remember that one freaking play where Lofa almost knocked his ass out, hitting a running back trying to cut the corner...anyone remember that play? I believe it was his rookie year?

That tackle you're referring to happened in the NFC title game against the Panthers, how could you forget? ;) It was when he and Nick Goingnowhere collided. It looked like LT got the worst of it as Goings hit him full steam. but LT got up, Goings turned into a weeble-wobble and had to be helped off the field, he never returned, hence the name GoingNowhere. LT played the rest of that game with a mild concussion, and sealed his place in many a 'Hawk fans hearts thoughout the land. Lofa is a warrior with a huge heart, no doubt about it.

RhewChuryll

Huddler
Reaction score
BlueTsunami45 said:
Let me refresh your memory RC,

That tackle you're referring to happened in the NFC title game against the Panthers, how could you forget? ;) It was when he and Nick Goingnowhere collided. It looked like LT got the worst of it as Goings hit him full steam. but LT got up, Goings turned into a weeble-wobble and had to be helped off the field, he never returned, hence the name GoingNowhere. LT played the rest of that game with a mild concussion, and sealed his place in many a 'Hawk fans hearts thoughout the land. Lofa is a warrior with a huge heart, no doubt about it.

DOH!! Yea yea yea. I was tired last night working 2 shifts. I remember the other players uni was white...If I tried hard enough I would have remembered...just got lazy...thanks BLUE hehe.

Top Bottom