• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Expectations for Seahawks' James Carpenter

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Expectations for Seahawks' James Carpenter

By Brady Henderson

The Seahawks thought enough of offensive lineman James Carpenter to draft him with the 25th overall pick in 2011 instead of Andy Dalton, a player Seattle liked and one who would have addressed what was then a need at quarterback.
Two injury-filled years later, the Seahawks are still high on him.
101895.jpg

James Carpenter​
"He is a force," coach Pete Carroll told "Bob and Groz"on Wednesday. "He's a bigger, more dynamic athlete than anybody that we have at the guard spot, and he makes a difference and it's on film. He'll roll right through guys. When we get Carp back it's going to be a big deal for us."

Carpenter has not practiced this offseason as he recovers from his second knee injury in as many years. Carroll said that recovery is on schedule and that Carpenter is expected to return sometime during training camp, which begins in late-July.
"Carp is on the road back. He had minor cleanup surgery about five, six weeks ago that was extremely successful," Carroll said. "I just talked to him this morning; he feels great, he's making all the normal progress he's supposed to make."
Brock Huard and Danny O'Neil pick up the conversation there, discussing how good Carpenter has to be once he returns to justify his first-round selection.

OP
S

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how good he is if he can't stay on the field. I hope this year he can make a impact and play the whole season. If he can't I don't see the Hawks keeping him.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Carp could be a monster gaurd, like Iupati type, just a mauler, I saw it too. He has great talent, but yeah the injury bug. Sounds like we have alot players we didnt even have last year, making it to training camp.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
1st round picks are slightly better than 50/50. The Seahawks have had similar results.

Some players I've considered good have gone on to be great with other teams. I based my grade on impact they had while with the Seahawks.

9 "Busts" (10 if you count Carp who I've got a ? on but really hope I'm wrong)
15 "Good" (not including Irvin who still has the potential to either way imo)
13 "Great" (is it too early for Thomas? I'm good)

1976 Niehaus Bust
1988 Bosworth Bust
1991 McGwire Bust
1993 Mirer Bust
2000 McIntosh Bust
2002 Stevens Bust
2004 Tubbs Bust
2008 Jackson Bust
2009 Curry Bust
2011 Carpenter Bust ?
1978 Simpson Good
1979 Tuiasosopo Good
1984 Taylor Good
1987 Woods Good
1989 Heck Good
1992 Roberts Good
1994 Adams Good
1995 Galloway Good
1996 Kendall Good
1997 Springs Good
1998 Simmons Good
1999 King Good
2005 Spencer Good
2006 Jennings Good
2010 Okung Good
2012 Irvin Good ?
1977 August Great
1980 Green Great
1981 Easley Great
1982 Bryant Great
1983 Warner Great
1986 Williams Great
1990 Kennedy Great
1997 Jones Great
2000 Alexander Great
2001 Robinson Great
2001 Hutchinson Great
2003 Trufant Great
2010 Thomas Great

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the list.
I'd maybe put Tez, Walter Jones, Easley and maybe Shaun in a class above all the other 'great' picks. The others on your list were maybe great draft picks but those four were just great, period. All were arguably top five in NFL history at their respective positions except for Shaun and that's still debatable. There were just so many great RBs to be judged against.
When Easley was at his peak in '83 through maybe '85 or '86 he was arguably the greatest safety to ever step onto a football field and would have been recognized as such if not for his career being cut short and the fact he played for the Seahawks. If he had played for say, the Cowboys or an east coast team he would've gotten his due. Many point to Ronnie Lott as the greatest safety and all around DB in NFL history but for those 3 years Easley was bigger, faster, meaner, the more ferocious hitter and was just simply better than Lott and Lott would probably be the first one to tell you that.

As for Steve August, I agree he was a solid pick but considering they passed on Tony Dorsett kinda clouds the issue a bit on him and makes it kinda hard to put him in the 'great pick' category.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Its all very subjective right...? I mean I wouldnt call Stevens and D. Jackson Busts, just had various issues, or maybe even the same issue.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't consider DJack a bust, 3rd round pick and 3rd all time receiver.

Robinsons contribution while a Seahawk just barely puts him in my great column, 7th all time.

They both screwed us but overall they produced.

I like Jennings but it always seemed just when you started liking the guy he'd get burned. Remember that 68-yard touchdown pass from Grossman to Berrian. Grossman, seriously. Can't do it.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
My bad, thought you meant DJAck with 2008 jackson, and was thinking "djack wasnt 1st rounder was he."

I like that you had trufant up there, he was one of my favorites, and though he may not ever be a ring of honor, he is definetly one the hawks greats.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't see how you can consider Robinson anything but a bust.

I know it is a stretch but when you look at his 2002 season, 78 rec for 1,240 yds. Avg 15.9, 5 TD's it is hard to say that wasn't a great season. 2003 stats weren't bad either. Pretty amazing that he did all that while on the sauce.

Reaction score
You're the same guy that was hating on Lynch for his off the field problems... I'm not sure how you don't view the man a member of this site refers to as "Kornrows" in the same light.

Reaction score
I know it is a stretch but when you look at his 2002 season, 78 rec for 1,240 yds. Avg 15.9, 5 TD's it is hard to say that wasn't a great season. 2003 stats weren't bad either. Pretty amazing that he did all that while on the sauce.
Dude had a couple of good years and then dropped out cause he was a booze-hound. No way you can call that a great pick. Had he stayed in the league and continued to produce at a consistant level, then maybe, but hell no!

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Dude had a couple of good years and then dropped out cause he was a booze-hound. No way you can call that a great pick. Had he stayed in the league and continued to produce at a consistant level, then maybe, but hell no!

I'm looking at this from the contribution perspective. If you base it on just his stats while he was with the Seahawks you can't say he was a bust. Dude had way better numbers than any of our current WR's.

Think of it like this, Lynch has been a huge part of our recent success but if he falls out this season or runs into a similar issue as Robinson, would you look back and say he was great? If so, you'd have to say Robinson was great because his overall contribution exceeds Lynch.

Reaction score
I'm looking at this from the contribution perspective. If you base it on just his stats while he was with the Seahawks you can't say he was a bust. Dude had way better numbers than any of our current WR's.

Think of it like this, Lynch has been a huge part of our recent success but if he falls out this season or runs into a similar issue as Robinson, would you look back and say he was great? If so, you'd have to say Robinson was great because his overall contribution exceeds Lynch.

No.... It doesn't. Lynch has two very good seasons here, he made possibly the best play in Seahawks history, and he's been a huge part of two playoff wins... Plus he was a good player before he came here.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
If so, you'd have to say Robinson was great because his overall contribution exceeds Lynch.
You ARE kidding right? KRob had one decent season with the Hawks while Lynch was the top RB in the league the last 9 weeks of '11 and one of the top 3 RBs last year and has become the focal point and identity of the offense. Not only that but Lynch only had 2 fewer TDs (not counting playoffs) in 2012 than Robinson had in all 5 seasons he played here combined.

Reaction score
No.... It doesn't. Lynch has two very good seasons here, he made possibly the best play in Seahawks history, and he's been a huge part of two playoff wins... Plus he was a good player before he came here.

This offense has been built around Lynch. Even with the unexpected success of Russell Wilson, this offense is still about Marshawn Lynch. A lot of Russells Success I credit to the run game. He made a lot of his big plays off play action.

If his career is cut short by injury, I won't hold that against him. Lynch has made some stupid mistakes in the past, but he doesn't seem to have a chronic Alcoholism issue like Robinson had.

Robinson had one good season. Lynch had a few good seasons when he first came out before he got into some trouble and losing his job to Fred Jackson and Spiller. Since we traded for him, he's been one of the best running backs in the league and only second to maybe AP.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Vick was worshipped until the dog deal.

Bandwagon comparing TD's between WR's and RB's?

Last year James Jones (GB) led the league with 14 TD's which is really high for a WR but you have to consider they are a passing team.

As it has been said, we were building around Lynch who finished 5th at 11 TD's.

Foster led the RB's with 15 but the NFL has become a 2 back league.

Lynch carried 315.

If you want to compare TD's, SA carried 370 in '05 and scored 27 TD's.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Bandwagon comparing TD's between WR's to RB's?
When there's that much of a discrepancy? Yes, absolutely. Besides that, it's still worth 6 regardless of who scores the TD, right?

Top Bottom