• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Do you take Sanchez at 4

S

Seattlehawk94

Re: .............NO!

manc seahawk said:
i could organise a better draft than Tim Ruskell

My dog could run it better than Little Ruskell...And he's 95 (in his years) and has Doggy Alzheimers...

Reaction score
bobflipaburger said:
There's no reason to pay the number 4 pick the kind of money that we're going to have to pay them for a QB that won't play this year.
Yet is kind of a good situation because he would have the time to develop behind Matt. It might also yeld another late pick in trade for Senneca the midget. So many rookie Qb's fail because they don't have time to learn, and are drafted by a shit team and thrown right into the fire with no support. I still personally feel that this could be done with a latter round QB though.

Reaction score
vanillathrilla said:
bobflipaburger said:
There's no reason to pay the number 4 pick the kind of money that we're going to have to pay them for a QB that won't play this year.
Yet is kind of a good situation because he would have the time to develop behind Matt. It might also yeld another late pick in trade for Senneca the midget. So many rookie Qb's fail because they don't have time to learn, and are drafted by a shit team and thrown right into the fire with no support. I still personally feel that this could be done with a latter round QB though.

Last year the number 4 pick (McFadden) got $10 million a year. So I'd definitely prefer that money to go to someone who'd actually play.

Reaction score
vanillathrilla said:
I don't really think that its a good value right now. I wouldn't be too upset though, because I think that he could flourish in a place where he had some time to develop. Too many early pick QBs flop IMO because they get drafted by bad teams with bad lines and bad schemes, and then are forced into the starting role before they are ready. I do think the QB is the most important position on the field, but they still cannot succeed without the right people around them. Senneca is NOT capable of winning a superbowl, so he is not a viable eventual replacement for Matt. I think we should draft someone at QB next season, and then trade Senneca for an additional draft pick.

More WR's flop than QB in the top 10 picks

OT are the safest

Reaction score
I think RBs have done pretty good when drafted in the Top 10 or even the first three round lately. You have guys like Reggie Bush and Adrian Peterson along with Slaton who went in the 3rd Round and had a great year last year. (Over 1,200 yards with 9 TDs in 16 games)

WRs have done alright. In 2003 Andre Johnson was selected 3rd Overall and is now a great WR that may not be known, but that is because he plays for the Texans. In 2007 Calvin Johnson was selected by the Lions. In 2004 you had Larry Fitzgerald going 3rd Overall and Roy Williams going 7th overall to the Lions. In 2005 there was only one guy that has done alright, but last season Braylon Edwards really didn't do too great. When you look through since 2003 there has been decent guys, but there are also a lot of guys that most people probably have no clue who they are because they were busts (including me). But you would also have to look back at all the QBs that have been drafted in the past few years. There have been a view good ones, but there also have been just as many busts. And at the same time when you go back through there are tackles that I have never heard of and I know a lot of players in the NFL, especially good players or at least decent ones. Also, there hasn't been many Linebackers taken in the Top 10, but they all have been fairly good players.

I think if you really want to take a safe pick you should go RB with Chris Wells, a tackle with Monroe/Smith or go and get Curry if he is available. If they don't like those options they should also consider trading down and getting a few picks out of the trade.

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
I have said this from the day this all started....we need a RB and the chance to get the best back in the draft could be a major score for us...when the rest of the guys are fighting over Sanchez we can sneak in there and get JJ's replacement who we need and really need badly.....I like the kid from Uconn and Wells , really any one of the top 4 RB's would up grade us in our back field. For the Hawks to hope that a new blocking program or the zone is going to make JJ or Duckett a stud RB is a huge gamble..we need a back that is will produce and can rotate in and give us some speed and the will to score....I hate JJ and always have...MO is gone and we have Forsett ..but adding to the RB pool is a move that I would love .

S

Seattlehawk94

SeahawkWag said:
vanillathrilla said:
I don't really think that its a good value right now. I wouldn't be too upset though, because I think that he could flourish in a place where he had some time to develop. Too many early pick QBs flop IMO because they get drafted by bad teams with bad lines and bad schemes, and then are forced into the starting role before they are ready. I do think the QB is the most important position on the field, but they still cannot succeed without the right people around them. Senneca is NOT capable of winning a superbowl, so he is not a viable eventual replacement for Matt. I think we should draft someone at QB next season, and then trade Senneca for an additional draft pick.

More WR's flop than QB in the top 10 picks

OT are the safest

Uh...No....

LINEBACKERS are the safest...

OL in the Top-10 since 1988:
Mandarich
Gallery
Catigan
Eric Moore
Ray Roberts
Roaf (Pro Bowl)
Kennedy (Pro Bowl)
Boselli (Pro Bowl)
Odgen (Pro Bowl)
Willie Anderson (Pro Bowl)
Pace (Pro Bowl)
Jones (Pro Bowl)
Naole
Turley
Samuels (Pro Bowl)
Davis (Pro Bowl)
Mike Williams
McKinnie
Levi Jones
Gross (Pro Bowl)
Fergusen
Joe Thomas (Pro Bowl)
Levi Brown
Jake Long (Pro Bowl)

So out of the 24 Top 10 OLs selected since 1988 12 made the Pro Bowl...That means it's 50-50 so....

Also...

There are a hell of alot more QB busts out there than WR busts....QBs are usually the biggest bust picks in the history of the draft.

I don't see a ton of lists containing Kornrows Robinson as an "All-Time Flop" but most lists are contain:
Shuler
Mirer
Couch
Leaf
Smith
McNown
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Sure, take a lineman...That's going to boost us up this year...We really need a "gamebreaker" at lineman.. :roll: Nothing like paying a loser like Dirty Sanchez or the next Tony Mandarich a shitload of money to "learn" for a couple of years while we don't improve our records.

Curry, Crabtree, or trade the pick and take Wells later in the 1st Round...

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
The hawks will not pick Sanchez at 4, that was a ruse to try and get the Redskins or some other team to move up, we won't pay 10 million plus a year for someone to sit out a couple of years and not play. Not taking Eugene Monroe, we are switching to a zone blocking scheme and Monroe doesn't fit that, although Jason Smith does, he's very athletic for a big man. Remember why we traded JP, too much money at LB, why would we draft Curry and give him more than JP. The Hawks are looking to win now, trust me they want to win the division and make a deep playoff run, who is going to help the most out of the box? This is probably the Hawks short draft board for round one: Jason Smith, Michael Crabtree. They are taking Crabtree because Smith is off the board, so nothing has changed with the signing of T.J.

S

Seattlehawk94

The zone scheme does fit Smith but...

We wouldn't be paying Curry more than JP, the rookie base is prorated and he'd be making less until his first contract is up.

Reaction score
so you'd spend all that money on a WR that could have a bad wheel over his career?

That makes no sense either :roll:

Reaction score
SeahawkWag said:
so you'd spend all that money on a WR that could have a bad wheel over his career?

That makes no sense either :roll:

At least a wide out could be used from the start, and a WR with HUGE upside could be a great target for any quarterback. If you are REALLY banking that Sanchez can lead a franchise.. alright maybe.. But I have no desire if I were Tim, to draft a guy who hasn't shown anything. He has played 16 games. I don't want the franchise hanging on a 'cassell-like' quarterback. I rather get a talented player who can make an impact right away. ie. Carlson. (doesn't look like he was a bad 2nd round pick). Get a guy like him, that would be awesome. NOT Sanchez.

Reaction score
If we trade down then lets get 2 and 3's for this year and someones 1 next season in a better QB draft. But I guess in 2 years you'd rather come off a 7-9 season with crabtree and a rookie unproven QB and a OT drafted in the 4th round?

Reaction score
Sanchez won on the field with a good team he was a leader too. Did you really think Carlson was going to be good? No he got out of that crappy ND program and actually got better. Sanchez will be better than Stafford and he can be ready in 2 years. This current team with crabtree will not be 12-4 within 2 years.
We need a QB of the future.
We need a 'real' LT of the future
We will need a RB soon also

those 3 positions are 10x more important than a WR that has a injury, has had drops/lack of concentration problem, isn't that fast ie will not be able to seperate from NFL DB's. With Curry it is the same stupid thing way too much money at that one position. Curry is more of a 3-4 guy and not a pass rusher.

Reaction score
He excelled in college, big deal. Throw any QB in the NFL on last years USC team and they would excel too. ;)

Seneca Wallace isn't that bad of a QB like people make him out to be. He can run this team if Hasselbeck goes down again especially with the team being more run oriented.

I actually love to see Wallace play QB because he just adds so much more to the team than Hasselbeck in terms of exciting plays. He can make a guy miss and run for a huge gain and he can make those great running passes as well as the occasional long pass play.

I think Ruskell will be smart enough to draft a guy tomorrow and use him as a third stringer for a few years until Hasselbeck retires.

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
Number 18 said:
I can't believe people are actually arguing for Sanchez. In last year's draft, he would have been a second rounder, at best.

Sanchez only came out because Bradford and Tebow returned to school , if those two were in this draft , I would guess that sanchez falls into the second round...The agent for Sanchez has done a stellar job in hyping him up....but if we fall for it and get burned heads will roll.

Guys that want Sanchez are also stock piling rice and canned goods for the end of the world.....Matt has years left in him....look at Warner look at Collins....we can mess around picking up late round QBs and giving them a shot until we find that diamond in the rough..even if we cant...you see how easy it is to trade up into the top 10 if you have to....so pissing away that pick on a QB , when you don't need one.....no help at all....

Reaction score
Idahawk said:
Number 18 said:
I can't believe people are actually arguing for Sanchez. In last year's draft, he would have been a second rounder, at best.

Sanchez only came out because Bradford and Tebow returned to school , if those two were in this draft , I would guess that sanchez falls into the second round...The agent for Sanchez has done a stellar job in hyping him up....but if we fall for it and get burned heads will roll.

Guys that want Sanchez are also stock piling rice and canned goods for the end of the world.....Matt has years left in him....look at Warner look at Collins....we can mess around picking up late round QBs and giving them a shot until we find that diamond in the rough..even if we cant...you see how easy it is to trade up into the top 10 if you have to....so pissing away that pick on a QB , when you don't need one.....no help at all....

All excellent points. Remember, Matt came out as a very late round pick. He does have years left in him, it could be more than two years before Sanchez even SEES the field. Why let a guy we will have to pay at LEAST 8-10 mill a year sit on the bench for 2 or even more years. 1st round Qb's are for teams that are DESPERATE for a quarterback. Are you seriously saying that QB is one of our biggest needs??? If so, then I guess... um... you.. have something? but seriously. Hasselbeck is a proven winner, and knows our system, he is our quarterback and will be for a while. I can't see us taking a rookie, paying him all the dough, and sitting him on the bench. If that would happen, there will be a huge uproar. What the Seahawks need is an UNDERSTUDY qb. That way, we won't have a shitload of money dumped into one position, and we can develop a hasselbeck-like player.

Top Bottom