• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A new Seahawk book coming in September

mtthawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Hello fellow Hawk fans,

I wanted to let everyone here know about my new book "Notes From a Twelfth Man: A Truly Biased History of the Seattle Seahawks." It tells the story of the team from the point of view of a fan. All the great plays, games and players, along with some of our most heartbreaking events. Plus team photos throughout the years. I have been a Seahawk fan ever since the team first walked onto the artificial turf of the Kingdome in 1976 and I thought it was time for the team's story to be told. Here's Steve Largent said about it:

“Over the years I have seen numerous attempts at presenting the Seahawks history in writing. But there have not been any done as well as ‘Notes From a Twelfth Man.’ I found myself reading the text and alternately laughing, crying, cringing and shouting out loud! From Jack Patera, Bill the Beer Man, Kenny Easley and Efren Herrera to Matt Hasselbeck. It was an enjoyable ride down memory lane for me!”

And Kenny Mayne of ESPN said this:
“Mark Turner writes about the Seahawks with childlike fascination. But unlike a child, Mark had an attention span long enough to get in a lot of facts and even use some big words. It’s a great read for Seahawk fans and fans of pro football period.”

The book is being released this September and will be available at many stores in the Northwest including Costco, Barnes & Noble, Fred Meyer, Seattle Teams Shop, and at Qwest Field. You can also order online at Amazon at the following link:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Notes-12-Man-History-Seahawks/dp/1570616027/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250795994&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Notes from a 12 Man: A Truly Biased History of the Seattle Seahawks (9781570616020): Mark Tye Turner: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MPJ7-5LEL.@@AMEPARAM@@51MPJ7-5LEL[/ame]

I think everyone here at SeahawksHuddle will enjoy reading this book about our favorite team.

Thanks,
Mark

S

Seattlehawk94

Yeah, mine isn't biased though..lol ..And it's probably more in depth in a geeky way.....

Kinda like those baseball books about the Dodgers and Giants it's going to be big and long, mines kinda a geek version without the one liners and more focused on the team itself going back to Ralph Wilson trying to used Husky Stadium and being turned down causing us to lose the "Seattle Kings" which became the Buffalo Bills of the AFL in 1960..I'll enjoy his version as well as all the other books--Raibs, Moyer, etc...Mine is going to be purely fact based and is going to be a literal written record of the history of Pro Football in Seattle from 1959-Present, less on the funny stories and more about what brought us to this point in Seahawks history...It's going to have alot of things that were unknown about the team, the Kingdome Vote/Pilots era, Seattle joining the NBA, the Mariners-Seahawks hate for each other sharing the Dome, Seattle's NHL expansion team taken away and the effect on the sports landscape here, the expansion with Tampa and almost have Culverhouse as our owner, and other things that have been glossed over in terms of past history....

I'm looking forward to reading your book mtt!

OP
M

mtthawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Hey 94, I like how you are doing a whole Seattle sports history angle. Very cool. Are you going to mention the Seattle Rangers? They were a semi-pro football team in the sixties and early seventies that played at Memorial Stadium at the Seattle Center.

S

Seattlehawk94

There will be a little bit about the Continental Football League franchise and how it related to the future NFL team we now all love.

You and I should get together and talk sometime, I wouldn't mind sharing a byline at all...Really it's about documenting all there is to know about Seattle football and I could use all the resources I can get!

Planning to do something on the Mariners and professional baseball in Seattle whenever I can get this project done, been working on it for awhile because I want these to be as thorough as possible. Some of this stuff needs to be documented before the people who lived it are gone....Have alot of good stuff on the Pilots but I wish I could've gotten 5 minutes with "Pound that Budweiser" Schultz who probably would've been able to fill a few chapters with his stories!

Glad to have you in here mtt! Hope you become a regular poster....I love talking history on here, there aren't too many old timers in Seahawkland (even though I'm 31, I grew up with "bedtime stories" of Gifford, Unitas, and Rockne due to the rabidness of my parents about football and the fact they had me late in life, my dad was so old he actually saw Ruth play an exhibition game with Ty Cobb). Hell, my parents were already married 5 years when they went to the Coliseum to watch a game for $12 dollars in the upper reaches----The AFL-NFL World Championship Game---Superbowl I--so the lore of the past is very much a part of my life as a fan..

I've already pre-ordered a copy of your book and am very much looking forward to reading it! I'm glad there is going to be a book from a fans point of view, Raibs's was good but kinda '70s centric, Moyer's was good but very player centric...Both books lacked alot in my view..They really focused on one era...Seeing what yours is about I'm excited to read it...Much like those other two I'll get it and finish it the same day!

I did have a question though, did you get pics from Corky or the Hawks? I'm wondering where I'm going to go to get the pictures when I finish..I've been given a few from players and personal I know but I'm wondering where to go to get some more.

BlueTsunami45

Huddler
Reaction score
Man, this is great! I've always considered myself a hardcore Hawks fan, been with em since their inception, and can't wait to read your book! It's great to find people who have the same kind of passion that I have for the Seahawks and being able to talk about the team in this forum. As much as I thought I knew, I just realized I'm in for an education and can't wait to read both of these books when they become available. Thanks for letting us all know about them here !

OP
M

mtthawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Thanks Tsunami!

94, I got my photos from a few different sources. My suggestion to you since you are writing more of a larger historical account of football and sports in Seattle is to contact the Seattle Times and its archive department. The Times would be the best shot at old photos. Then again, you may have already thought of it. Good luck with the book and if you have any Seahawk history questions answered for it, feel free to PM me.

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like a fantastic book Mtthawk!! I will definitely be ordering one. (Maybe you can offer signed copies at some point.) Congrats on the great blurbs in support, as well...I bet it felt good after all your time and effort.

I don't suppose there are any cartoons in the book, are there? (I'm biased.) ;)
There have been some great cartoonists in Seattle, and I'd be curious to see if any did some takes on the team.

And of course I'm really looking forward to 94's book as well! One more stat/fact, I think the Hawks are the first team to have a regular comic strip, at least online. Did I mention I'm biased? :D

All the BEST of success to both of you and your wonderful projects.

Reaction score
Mtt-
Do you know a list of celebrities that are Seahawk fans? Does anyone know? I know Brandon Roy is one and one of the guys on "The Office" is. I've always been curious about it. Thanks guys!

OP
M

mtthawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Hey Bru,
I will be doing a number of book signings up in the Seattle area (and hopefully the whole Northwest) this fall so I can definitely sign your book (and everyone elso here in the Huddle). I will be at the Seattle Teams Shop in SoDo on September 8 time TBA but figure early evening. I will be doing a reading/signing at Elliott Bay Books in Seattle on Friday September 11 at 7:30pm and at the Costco SoDo location on Saturday September 12 from 1-3pm. I will also be doing a number of signings in October including October 10th Fred Meyer on 45th street in Seattle in the a.m and the Costco in Issaquah from 1-3pm. October 12 at 7pm at the Barnes & Noble in Olympia and the October 13 at the Barnes & Noble in Silverdale.

To answer your other question, I don't have any cartoons in the book but I do have a number of photos throughout the team's history. It sounds like you a have Seahawk cartoon. Is it available online for viewing?

Hawk096,
I know of a few celebrity Hawk fans. Rainn Wilson (Dwight from "The Office") is a fan. He grew up in Shoreline. Josie Bissett from "Melrose Place" is a fan. And of course members of a lot of the area's noted rock bands and local athletes like Brandon Roy are fans of the team. We just don't have a Jack Nicholson who is the face the celeb fans.

OP
M

mtthawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Thanks number 18. The Buzz cartoons look great. It looks like Bru is keeping up the old Seattle Times cartoon tradition of Hairbreadth Husky which was featured before every Husky football game.

S

Seattlehawk94

Yeah, but I'd get it from BN.com like I did...It was cheaper for the book and S&H was way less than crapazon.com...Crapazon is partnered with Brokenborders and they are the kings of jacking up prices on everything.

Hairbrained Fuskie...Man, I haven't heard about that in years....Used to always piss me off, especially with their hayseed depiction of a Coug.

OP
M

mtthawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Hey 96, yes you can get it on Amazon right now. Here's the link: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Notes-12-Man-History-Seahawks/dp/1570616027/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251321001&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Notes from a 12 Man: A Truly Biased History of the Seattle Seahawks (9781570616020): Mark Tye Turner: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MPJ7-5LEL.@@AMEPARAM@@51MPJ7-5LEL[/ame]

But as 94 said, you can also get it on Barnes & Noble.com. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Notes- ... 020/?itm=1

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for checking out BUZZ, Mark...and for the links. Looking forward to the book!
Unfortunately, I won't be getting up to WA (I'm in CA) till the Lions game in November. LMK if you'll be there too.

Top Bottom