• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2010 Draft - Round 2, Pick 28, Overall Pick 60: Golden Tate

robdog

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Seahawks picked Golden Tate for their third pick in the draft. DISCUSS!

497326.jpg

Golden Tate (WR)
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 199 lbs.
Arm Length: 30 1/2 in.
Hand Size: 9 1/4 in.
College: Notre Dame
Conference: IA Independents

Pick Analysis:
The Seahawks find a talented playmaker for their receiving corps. Although Tate has been deemed too short to be a proto-typical No.1 receiver, his outstanding running skills make him a special talent worthy of a key role in Seattle's offense. In addition, he gives the Seahawks another player capable of producing points in the return game.

Overview:
Tate has been a very productive receiver for the Irish over the past two years and will be coming out as a true junior. He does a lot of things right and finishes games with a lot of stats but there is nothing physically about him that really jumps out at you. He lacks premier size, speed and acceleration yet he manages to get open and make a lot of plays. He is an excellent route runner that knows how to set defenders up and does not show much wasted movement when running patterns. He does a great job of going to the ball when slightly off target and will compete for virtually every pass. He is almost built more like a running back than a wide receiver but will fit some systems as a second or third receiver.

Strengths:
Tate’s a strong receiver. Is a very sound route runner who is smooth in and out of his breaks and has experience in a pro-style system. Is dangerous after catch with a nice combination of quickness and power to break tackles. Has been highly- productive. High-character player who will always compete. Has reliable hands.

Weaknesses:
His overall explosiveness is questionable. Is more of a speed-builder than a sudden guy, odd for a shorter receiver. Takes a while to eat up cushions. Top end speed is good but not elite. Can get deep on occasion but doesn’t appear to be a consistent downfield threat.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWfA5-Q0s-0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQaUdZrET8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Shq4-9Xn5M[/ame]

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
The first time he drops a ball you know what his new nickname is going to be.... "Golden Taint" :emoticon-0102-bigsm

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
I like him, small but he is quite the playmaker, he can catch in traffic and return the ball punting or on kickoffs.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWfA5-Q0s-0]YouTube - Golden Tate 2009 Highlights[/ame]

Reaction score
We know you don't like Blount bob... he probably doesn't like you either.

But, Tate reminds me a lot of Percy Harvin, similar size, a HB/WR hybrid, people questioned his speed, his route running... how'd that turn out?

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Wag i think youre wrong. Youre going off of what one person said on nfl network. He will get the ball on offense in a variety of ways. He is too dangerous with the ball. The knock on Percy last year was his route running ability and elite burst, i think he proved everyone wrong. They are saying that he doesnt have great top end speed, but he ran a 4.4 40 at the combine and is just explosive with the ball. Minnesota found a way to get their dynamic weapon the ball much like i think Pete and Bates will do. He may return punts, but Leon Washington will be our kick returner.

Reaction score
SeahawkWag;47876 said:
Tate will be our return guy for at least a year. He won't be a top 4 WR
Hey, I'm fine with him being the 5th best WR. He doesn't have to be in the Top 4. :D

But seriously, Tate could be a Top 5 WR or he could be an average receiver or he could be a bust, we just don't know right now. That goes for every WR drafted this year as well.

Reaction score
I think Deion "can't stay healthy" Branch is out the door. I also think Tate will pass Butler on the depth chart coming season opener. IMO

Reaction score
#ONE;47933 said:
I think Deion "can't stay healthy" Branch is out the door. I also think Tate will pass Butler on the depth chart coming season opener. IMO
Branch, Reggie/Mike Williams, Obomanu and Martin are going to have to fight for the last 2 or 3 spots. I'm not sure if the special teams WR Morey will affect how many spots will be left though.

Houshmandzadeh*
Deion Branch
Golden Tate*
Deon Butler*
Reggie Williams
Mike Williams
Ben Obomanu
Ruvell Martin

*Guaranteed Spot on Roster

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
phaZe;47946 said:
Branch, Reggie/Mike Williams, Obomanu and Martin are going to have to fight for the last 2 or 3 spots. I'm not sure if the special teams WR Morey will affect how many spots will be left though.

Houshmandzadeh*
Deion Branch
Golden Tate*
Deon Butler*
Reggie Williams
Mike Williams
Ben Obomanu
Ruvell Martin

*Guaranteed Spot on Roster

You can't leave Morey off this list, as he isn't guaranteed a spot as a returner. Tate can take that over. If we keep 5 WRs, I see the following:

Housh
Branch
Tate
Butler
???? Williams

???? Williams, Martin, Morey, Pat Carter, and Ben will be looking for work elsewhere. Not sure if any of them will be practice squad eligible, but we'll need someone there. Maybe Carter...

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
D Hawk;47983 said:
You can't leave Morey off this list, as he isn't guaranteed a spot as a returner. Tate can take that over. If we keep 5 WRs, I see the following:

Housh
Branch
Tate
Butler
???? Williams

???? Williams, Martin, Morey, Pat Carter, and Ben will be looking for work elsewhere. Not sure if any of them will be practice squad eligible, but we'll need someone there. Maybe Carter...
Morey wasnt signed to be a wr he was signed for his special teams play mostly as a gunner, not returner. Our punt returner will most likely be Tate and Leon Washington will most likely return kicks.

Reaction score
dmarkholt12;47985 said:
Morey wasnt signed to be a wr he was signed for his special teams play mostly as a gunner, not returner. Our punt returner will most likely be Tate and Leon Washington will most likely return kicks.
We know he wasn't signed to be a wide receiver, but having him on the team can affect how many WRs we carry. He can also affect the depth of other positions as well.

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
He's going to have to be able to produce as more than just a gunner to make the squad with the talent they are eveluating. If they are looking at cutting one of the WRs to keep a gunner, the issue will come up... who can give us options as WR and also play gunner? Morey? Martin? Carter? ??? Williams? Someone will stand out and do what it takes to make the team.

Top Bottom