• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2009 NFL Draft Analysis

Reaction score
How would you rate the Seahawks draft?

Rd 1, Pick 4 - Curry, Aaron OLB
Rd 2, Pick 17 - Unger, Max OT
Rd 3, Pick 27 - Butler, Deon WR
Rd 6, Pick 5 - Teel, Mike QB
Rd 7, Pick 36 - Greene, Courtney S S
Rd 7, Pick 38 - Reed, Nick DE
Rd 7, Pick 39 - Morrah, Cameron TE

We addressed our Linebacker, Offensive Tackle, Safety and Tight End needs, but we didn't address our Cornerback and Halfback needs.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
bobflipaburger said:
Unger is a Center/Guard so we didn't grab a tackle.
Well yeah, but NFL.com lists him as an OT, so I just went with what they said. :D

From what I've heard, Locklear is going to be Jones' replacement when he retires so that's why they didn't draft a tackle and went with a center/guard.

Locklear, Whale, Spencer, Unger, Willis

Whale is getting up there in age too, so I'm assuming the Seahawks will either pick up some free agents next offseason or draft some tackles/guards in 2010.

Reaction score
Rd 1, Pick 4 - Curry, Aaron OLB A+
Rd 2, Pick 17 - Unger, Max OT B++
Rd 3, Pick 27 - Butler, Deon WR B
Rd 6, Pick 5 - Teel, Mike QB D
Rd 7, Pick 36 - Greene, Courtney SS F
Rd 7, Pick 38 - Reed, Nick DE F
Rd 7, Pick 39 - Morrah, Cameron TE A-

Reaction score
Who is Whale? U mean Wahle? Locklear as our LT of the future scares the SHIT out of me :? I'll go out on a limb and say Spencer will be out of a job unless he locks down a OG spot cuz I think Unger is gonna take his job away.

phaZe said:
bobflipaburger said:
Unger is a Center/Guard so we didn't grab a tackle.
Well yeah, but NFL.com lists him as an OT, so I just went with what they said. :D

From what I've heard, Locklear is going to be Jones' replacement when he retires so that's why they didn't draft a tackle and went with a center/guard.

Locklear, Whale, Spencer, Unger, Willis

Whale is getting up there in age too, so I'm assuming the Seahawks will either pick up some free agents next offseason or draft some tackles/guards in 2010.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
SeahawkWag said:
Who is Whale? U mean Wahle?
Yeah, Wahle. :lol:

No clue why I kept calling him whale, I wasn't even paying attention to how I was spelling it.

Reaction score
And we add a 1st round for next year.

Look I don't see the problem with Teel. He's gonna be our third-string QB. Least he can learn like Hasselbeck learned in Green Bay.

Reaction score
My problem with Teel was alot of people didn't think he would be drafted and there were about 5 other QB's rated higher at that time.

Reaction score
SeahawkWag said:
My problem with Teel was alot of people didn't think he would be drafted and there were about 5 other QB's rated higher at that time.

Maybe according to Mel Kiper :roll:. That late in the draft anyone can go, ratings mean essentially nothing.

People didn't think Matt Cassel was going to be drafted.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
The Seahawks have signed undrafted free agents:
Texas A&M DE Michael Bennett
Ole Miss LB Tony Fein
Wyoming RB Devin Moore
Maryland LB Dave Philistin
Ball State T Andre Ramsey
North Dakota State RB Tyler Roehl

Source: NextSeasonSpots.com

So it looks like they know that they need a RB. Tony Fein is actually a local boy from Port Orchard, WA.

Reaction score
Roehl is a bowling ball like Duckett at 5'10" 230 and runs a 4.5.

Moore is smaller at 5'11" 190 but runs 40 in the low 4.4s.

They were both back ups for a couple years.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
bobflipaburger said:
Roehl is a bowling ball like Duckett at 5'10" 230 and runs a 4.5.

Moore is smaller at 5'11" 190 but runs 40 in the low 4.4s.

They were both back ups for a couple years.
Yeah, but at least they are moving toward filling MoMo's vacant spot.

I think they will probably throw Forsett and these two guys out there and let them compete for the spot.

Reaction score
Well these two guys look like pretty raw talents, maybe in a couple years one of them will develop into a legit back... You might be able to say the same thing about Forsett.

Reaction score
It's a proven fact it takes 3-5 years to be able to actually grade the draft.

3-years you'll have a good feeling how it will be viewed, but after 5-years you truly know how you did.

Mel Kiper in 2005 said we reached drastically for Lofa and Leroy two guys who won't be in Seattle long.

I tend to ignore draft grades and analysis until at least two-years after the draft. Overall I'm pleased with our picks. Maybe Green wasn't anything special. What I've read about him is he needs a lot of time to develop. We need a guy now to push Brian Russell to be better.

Idahawk

Reaction score
phaZe said:
The Seahawks have signed undrafted free agents:

And two more LB's...so what does that tell you ? bye bye Hill

Texas A&M DE Michael Bennett
Ole Miss LB Tony Fein
Wyoming RB Devin Moore
Maryland LB Dave Philistin
Ball State T Andre Ramsey
North Dakota State RB Tyler Roehl

Source: NextSeasonSpots.com

So it looks like they know that they need a RB. Tony Fein is actually a local boy from Port Orchard, WA.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
I think those two Linebackers are just to add some depth. I think they have D.D. Lewis, Curry, Tatupu, Hawthorne and Laury. If they sign Hill that still leaves us with only two good guys at linebacker. Laury is more of a Special Teams guy and Hawthorne is the big hitter and D.D. Lewis is the tackler.

If Hill comes back that shows a lot of class because I know he can get more than what we can give him after signing Curry.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
You are damn straight it shows a lot of class, because right now he has none in my book. Who does Hill think he is? If he had signed the tender none of this would have happened. If we sign him for any more than the 6 year $36 million we initially offered, we are DUMB. Stupid kid needed a kick in the ass to realize not signing a 1 year $8.3 million deal was STUPID.

Reaction score
Today on NFL Sirius Radio they were talking about Hill... supposedly he wants to re-sign, but his agent is advising him to look around. If so he should just fire the agent sign the contract and be happy. This is the reason you sign the tender in the first place.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
Hawk096 said:
Today on NFL Sirius Radio they were talking about Hill... supposedly he wants to re-sign, but his agent is advising him to look around. If so he should just fire the agent sign the contract and be happy. This is the reason you sign the tender in the first place.
How much room will the Seahawks after signing Curry the other draft picks that we will keep, Ken Lucas and Griffith? Maybe a few million?

Reaction score
Heading into the draft we had 7 million we added 8 from losing Hill (with the tag) so 15 million. All depends on how we neogatiate with Curry and Lucas's & Griffith's deals work-out. I haven't looked into them yet, but we might have enough to get Hill inked for 6 million. I don't think we will go higher than our last offer. Ruskell isn't like that. We could always sign him one-year and then depending on CBA take it from there.

Top Bottom