• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Wilson vs Kaepernick comparison

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I think I am in the minority even with Hawks fans and analysts, but if I had the choice I would still take Russell Wilson over Kaperdick staight up 10 out of 10 times. And I was a big Kap supporter coming out college, mainly because what I saw in his senior bowl.
While Kapernick has a stronger arm, and can run maybe a tick faster, I give RW the edge in accuracy, elusiveness, Football IQ, Awareness, and overall character.

In fact the only negative on RW is he is my height :)

I seperate RW from Kap by the slightest margin with his intangibles. His work ethic- constant quest for knowlegde, gym rat, FILO (first in and last out) of the VMAC. His humbleness, to realize that the team is bigger then he is. And I think that is where Kap lacks dicipline. RW will go down and not take that big shot, because he's fin smart, not because he is afraid too. RW is clutch, can put that game on his shoulders and is seemingly prepared for that moment. One last thing, I think off the field and character wise Kap is alittle bit vain, the whole tatt'd up kissing the biceps kinda bothers me, I just think that Kap isnt as mentally sound as the unflappable cyborg Dange"Russ". And I predict Kap will get injuried sometime next season because of his bravdo.

Both are going to be fun to watch over then next few years and they will both be IMO top teir QB's, but I like our guy.

Reaction score
Russell Wilson walks into the endzone and politely walks over to the ref and hands him the ball. Kapernick show boats like a dumb hood rat. Case closed.

OP
TheBandwagon

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
If Kaepernick has a stronger arm, it's probably not by much. And I see a lot of people saying Kaepernick is faster but the combine numbers say otherwise, more like a dead heat with a slight edge to Wilson.

CK's definitely got the height advantage. Does that really matter all that much though? I'm sure it makes things a bit easier in the pocket for CK but Wilson has proven time and again that his short stature has zero effect on his game.
Wilson has far bigger hands than CK, which I think is a legit advantage, especially concerning the risk of fumbles. If I had the choice between CK's height advantage or Wilson's hands, I'd take Wilson's hands. But that's just me.

And yes, Wilson's intangibles are off the charts. CK's intangibles are very good too and that's what gives both QBs a chance to have exceptional careers.

Reaction score
Crappernick has one of the strongest throwing arms in the league, he's got great straight-line speed, and he's tall. Kaepernick would win in those categories. Wilson gets everything else that I can think of, accuracy, awareness, football IQ, work ethic, elusiveness, mechanics, footwork, leadership, etc.

I think some people assume Kaepernick has more upside because he's got the physical attributes I mentioned before, but I don't think that's accurate.

OP
TheBandwagon

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Crappernick has one of the strongest arms in the league but Wilson can sling it too. Superior arm is part of his scouting report and I can't think of any past Seahawk QBs with a better arm except for possibly Rick Mirer and even then, maybe. I think people assume he doesn't have a strong throwing arm because he's only 5'10 or 5'11. At the very least you can give Wilson a plus grade and above average in that department.

But any way you cut it, G3 has a stronger arm than either of them, is clearly faster than either of them (G3 actually has the clocked times to back it up, unlike CK) but that doesn't necessarily translate to him being a better overall QB. Actually check that. In a way it did but then the durability factor crept in with G3 and knocked him off the tracks a bit.

But yeah, overall I'd give the edge in measurables to CK mainly because of the height, and yes a stronger arm maybe. It's kinda strange that some scouts graded CK's arm strength in the negative and considered that as a limit to his upside. The term 'noodle arm' even got thrown around a few times. Those guys might have watched him when he was throwing into a strong headwind or something, who knows? Goes to show that even judging arm strength can be subjective, even among the scouts.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I'd grade it out:

1. Arm Strength: Kaepernick
  2. Mobility: Tie at best, leaning towards Wilson. Kaepernick was sacked half as many times as Wilson while playing less than half a season, but with a superior offensive line. As said here, his straight line speed is probably better, but I think Wilson is far more elusive.
  3. Accuracy: Wilson
  4. Football IQ: I'm not sure why there is a debate here. I don't think Kaepernick is dumb, but Wilson clearly is, I will go ahead and say it, elite in this category.
  5. Upside: Just because of his physical tools, I think Kaepernick gets the edge.
  6. Verdict: 3-2 in favor Wilson, 2-2-1 at best.

Reaction score
Intangibles, ability to throw on the run, and mechanics all go to Wilson. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on QB mechanics, but even I can tell Kaep has a weird motion and Wilson is very fundamentally sound.

Reaction score
I think some people assume Kaepernick has more upside because he's got the physical attributes I mentioned before, but I don't think that's accurate.

If that were true, JaMarcus Russell would still be in the league. I don't think Kap can function in a full time pro style offense without the pistol and read-option being a huge part of the playbook. The biggest knock on Kap was he is a system QB, because he ran the pistol offense almost exclusively at Neveda.

Wilson on the other hand, minus his height, is the prototypical NFL quarterback. The read option is just a small wrinkle that was added in this last year. Both systems that he ran at NC State and Wisconsin were pro-style with a lot of west coast offense, especially at Wisconsin.

Reaction score
Everyone keeps mentioning arm strength. Again, I say JaMarcus Russell. He could throw the ball 70 yards on his knees.

Wilson is has a great arm and he is way more accurate. Sure Kap can put a lot of zip on the ball and chuck it 60 yards down field but who knows where it's gonna end up... He also has an awkward throwing motion. He doesn't throw with anticipation but rather tries to aim the ball and laser it in there when his receiver flashes open.

Reaction score
I also think Wilson's ceiling is higher. Kaps game is dependent on his ability to run. Teams that that couldn't stop him on the ground got torched. Our defense played very disciplined and shut him down week 16. Without the ability to run, he looked pedestrian. Just like Cam Newton did week 5 against the Seahawks. Coincidentally, I just rewatched that game earlier in the week, and it may have been the best our defense played all year.

Reaction score
Kaep isn't inaccurate, I've seen him throw quite a few passes right on the money. But yeah, Wilson is definitely at least a step ahead in the accuracy department maybe more. Also, just because Jamarcus had a really high ceiling... He'd just rather drink cough syrup than workout.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Some very good QB attributes wilson has that you guys mentioned I forgot:
1. Throw on the run.
2. Throw with anticipation.

And I'll add one more of my own:

Extending plays- Because Wilsons elusiveness and all of the above mentioned tools, he has an uncanny ability to extend the play i.e. the GB final play. Ever tick you extend a play gives your WR expendetially advantages against coverage, I think that this single biggest factor that made RW succeed in college and now in the pro's.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
You know the one thing that has me concerned about Wilson, endurance & toughness.

In a lot of ways Wilson reminds me of Favre and even though he took a couple good hits last season and bounced right back. I'm not talking doom and gloom but if his protection isn't any better than last year you can't help but be a little worried about how much damage he can take and Brady Quinn isn't my idea of the best BU.

OP
TheBandwagon

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Some good points from all who posted. Szat makes a good point about RW's ability to extend plays and it was that ability that first put them over the top against the Bears and it was on display many times afterward during their 5 game winning streak and the playoffs. It was that ability late in the Falcons game too on 3rd and 5 when he avoided the sack in the backfield by the blitzing linebacker, flushed out to the left and hit a wide open Lynch down the left sideline that took them to the 5 yard line and on the brink of taking the lead.
Just beautiful stuff.

As far as CK goes, very similar skillset to Wilson. It seems that wherever one QB has the edge over the other, the other also excels in that aspect too but not quite as much. Like arm strength. CK might have the better arm but Wilson's is pretty good in his own right. Same for football IQ and intangibles. I agree RW is elite in that category but CK isn't too shabby himself. Probably couldn't go wrong with either QB.

Reaction score
You know the one thing that has me concerned about Wilson, endurance & toughness.

In a lot of ways Wilson reminds me of Favre and even though he took a couple good hits last season and bounced right back. I'm not talking doom and gloom but if his protection isn't any better than last year you can't help but be a little worried about how much damage he can take and Brady Quinn isn't my idea of the best BU.

Wilson hasn't shown any reason to worry about either of those things, he doesn't really take hits.

Reaction score

Wilson is built like a RB. Dude can take a hit and is also very smart. The hardest hits he took were in the pocket. None of his scrambles or runs resulted in a hard hit as far as I can remember.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Wilson is built like a RB. Dude can take a hit and is also very smart. The hardest hits he took were in the pocket. None of his scrambles or runs resulted in a hard hit as far as I can remember.

Your right 1, he is broad shouldered and I'm not looking the gift horse in the mouth. With the rules putting green shields of cash in the form of fines surrounding QB's hopefully we never have to find out just how hard of a lick he can take. Again I'm not talking doom and gloom just wanting our oline to improve.

Last year I was convinced defenses would start containing the edges so Wilson couldn't roll out. So I did a little research and found some interesting facts.

Wilson rolled right 62% of the time which is strange because that's Breno's side. Other than all the penalties maybe Breno isn't so bad.

We didn't run any 2 back sets or I formations.

It was Shotgun and Lone setback about 50/50.

Almost every pass play was RW rolling out before being contained. My concern is that if his mobility is reduced it's pretty much game over. He is not a pocket passer.

OP
TheBandwagon

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
It seemed as though the Rams were quite successful in containing the edges the last game of the season and Wilson was struggling for most of the game. But then again he was facing both outside containment and inside pressure, which shouldn't happen unless the OL was getting manhandled. If defenses can have their way with the OL like that, then they will succeed in keeping Wilson in the pocket. But if the OL is playing up to par, then conceivably any team that tries to do that will take a thrashing against our running game, especially with a guy like Lynch who likes to run between the tackles.
I do agree with you in a sense as far as Wilson not being a pocket passer. I think he does fine at it when he can pick his spots to throw from the pocket but if he's reduced to JUST that, if his ability to move is reduced, he'll be in trouble.

By the way, how do you add quotes in green from previous posts?

Top Bottom