• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks Tuesday in Hawkville

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
A recap of the activities at Virginia Mason Athletic Center for Nov. 29:
FOCUS ON
Tarvaris Jackson. Having only three days between games this week was expected to test the Seahawks’ quarterback, and therefore the entire offense, because of the strained pectoral in his throwing shoulder.
But Jackson threw in all phases of practice today, after also getting in some throws in the walk-throughs Monday night and this morning.
“It felt pretty good,” Jackson said of throwing the day after Sunday’s loss to the Redskins, with an eye on Thursday night’s nationally televised game against the Eagles at CenturyLink Field.
“I guess it’s kind of healing a little better, so that’s good. That’s good for the future, also. We’re seeing that it doesn’t take me as long to recover, so that’s the one positive I got from Sunday.”
There was another positive today, when Jackson three on three consecutive days for the first time since injuring his right shoulder in the Week 5 win over the Giants.
“It’s interesting, particularly in a short week,” coach Pete Carroll said. “This is a lot to ask of him. He feels good enough to do that.”
Jackson is back at practice, but not out of the woods because of the nature of the injury and the position he plays.
“We have to manage this all the way through this,” Carroll said. “We don’t have all the answers. We listen very carefully to what he feels like and he’s been tuned in to it and the trainers have stayed very close with him to figure it out. And so far they’ve been able to get him ready to play every week.
“We really rely on him quite a bit on this. He’s the one who has to tell us what he feels like.”
Today, Jackson let his actions speak for him.
ON THE FIELD
The players worked for 90 minutes, outside in 41-degree weather that felt colder because of a steady breeze. Stocking caps replaced helmets, as Carroll is scaling back on the physical aspects of practice because of the short week.
“You have to mix all aspects here and have them mentally right or they don’t have a chance,” Carroll said. “Physically, we can only do the best we can – we can just get them as right as we can. … Now it’s about getting their minds right so that they can play football again.
“It’s a big physical demand for these guys to come back and play Sunday and Thursday, but hopefully we’ll do this really well.”
Right tackle Breno Giacomini, center Max Unger and practice-squad running back Vai Taua were the only players to practice in shorts and short sleeves.
OPPONENT WATCH
Nnamdi Asomugha. While playing for the Raiders the past eight seasons, you always knew where to find the All-Pro cornerback – on one side of the field, taking away any and all receivers who dared test his coverage skills; or on one receiver, eliminating him from the passing game.
Since signing with the Eagles in free agency, Asomugha’s role definitely has changed.
“I’m playing the slot a whole lot more. I’m playing safety a whole lot more in certain situations,” Asomugha said today during a conference-call interview. “So there’s few different things.
“In Oakland, you just knew it was play corner and take that guy out of the game. Here, I’ve been moving around everywhere and just figuring out where I fit based off the calls and based off the particular position that I’m playing on that down. Because pretty much every game I’ve been at every position that you can think of in the secondary and even some down there in like a linebacker spot.”
IN ’N OUT
Sidney Rice is not expected to play Thursday night because of the concussion he got in Sunday’s game.
“It’s very slim that he has a chance to play,” Carroll said. “There’s not a helmet that he could put on his head that he could play with this week.”
The fact that this is Rice’s second concussion this season only increases the concern.
“Because of that, we’re going to be very careful at this point and that’s why I’m saying I’m everything but ruling him out,” Carroll said. “We have to take care of him.”
Rice will be replaced in the starting lineup by Ben Obomanu.
Also sitting out practice today was cornerback Byron Maxwell, while middle linebacker David Hawthorne and cornerback Richard Sherman were limited. But defensive tackle Alan Branch returned after missing Sunday’s game and not practicing last week because of a sore ankle.
When Hawthorne and Sherman weren’t on the field, K.J. Wright moved to the middle, with Malcolm Smith stepping in on the strong side for Wright; and Roy Lewis worked on the left side for Sherman in the base defense and Kennard Cox took over in the nickel because Lewis slid inside.
Here’s the injury report:
Did not practice
WR Sidney Rice (concussion)
CB Byron Maxwell (illness)
Limited participation
LB David Hawthorne (knee)
CB Richard Sherman (calf)
Full participation
QB Tarvaris Jackson (pectoral)
DT Alan Branch (ankle)
For the Eagles:
Did not practice
OT King Dunlap (concussion)
LB Moise Fokou (ankle)
WR Jeremy Maclin (hamstring, shoulder)
QB Michael Vick (ribs)
Limited participation
CB Nnamdi Asomugha (knee)
RB LeSean McCoy (toe)
CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (ankle)
Full participation
DT Cullen Jenkins (thumb)
STAT DU JOUR
Believe it or not, the NFL does not keep track of blocked field goals and PATs. So there are no records to use as a gauge for Red Bryant’s efforts this season. But the last player to block a field goal and a PAT in one game – as Bryant did on Sunday – was the Browns’ Shaun Rogers against the Bengals on Oct. 4, 2009.
Here’s how the kick-blocking Bryant stacks up in club history:
Most blocked kicks in a season
Player (year) No. (blocks)
Red Bryant (2011) 4 (three FGs, one PAT)
Mike White (1982) 3 (two FGs, one PAT)
Joe Nash (1989) 3 (three FGs)
Craig Terrill (2010) 3 (three FGs)
Most blocked FGs in a season
Player (year) No.
Red Bryant (2011) 3
Joe Nash (1989) 3
Craig Terrill (2010) 3
Mike White (1982) 2
Joe Nash (1984) 2
Craig Terrill (2006) 2
Most blocked FGs in a game
Player (year) No.
Red Bryant (2011) 2
Craig Terrill (2010) 1
Craig Terrill (2008) 1
(accomplished many times, Terrill had the last two)
Most blocked PATs in a game
Player (year) No.
Red Bryant (2011) 1
Terry Wooden (1995) 1
(11 others also had one block; Wooden was the last to do it)
Most career blocks (FGs and PATs)
Player (years) No. (blocks)
Joe Nash (1982-96) 10 (eight FGs, 2 PATs)
Craig Terrill (2004-10) 8 (eight FGs)
Mike White (1981-82) 5 (2 FGs, 3 PATs)
Jeff Bryant (1982-93) 5 (3 FGs, 2 PATs)
Red Bryant (2008) 4 (3 FGs, 1 PAT)
STATS ’N STUFF
Rookie wide receiver Doug Baldwin ranks fifth in the NFL with 19 third-down receptions.
Punter Jon Ryan is sixth in the league, and second in the NFC, in average (48.3); and ninth in the league and fifth in the conference, in net average (40.1).
Leon Washington is eighth in punt return average (11.2) and 13th in kickoff return average (24.2).
The Seahawks rank 14th in defense, 11th against the run and 20th against the pass; and 30th in offense, 27th rushing and 25th passing.
UP NEXT
Since today was Wednesday and Thursday in this shortened week, tomorrow will be Friday and the players will hold their final “full” workout before the game.
Tickets are available of Thursday night’s game, as well as the Dec. 12 game against the Rams, and can be purchased here.
TOYS FOR TOTS
The Seahawks are holding their annual Toys For Tots drive at Thursday night’s game. Fans are asked to bring new unwrapped toys, which will be distributed to needy children in the Seattle community. Monetary donations also are welcome.
YOU DON’T SAY
“I should have followed through with that thought, because the thought I had in my mind was coach (John) Wooden always said, ‘A coach’s greatest ally is the bench.’ That’s what was going through my mind. And it was much easier to access that bench when you had 110 guys (like it did at USC). When you’ve got 45 or 46 guys, it’s a little harder.” – Carroll when asked about his post-game comment on Sunday about replacing players who were guilty of repeated penalties

b.gif
tvs-dTX0fug

Source: Seahawks.com

Top Bottom