• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Should Flynn be released from Contract/Traded?

Idahawk

Reaction score
As Ive stated before, its gonna be harder to go back to flynn from the rookie if RW can't step up.
Its like getting back together with your old GF, she wont forget the time you cheated on her. There will be some bad blood.
Thats why I think there is more risk to the move, but I dont think RW will choke, its not in his DNA.

Flynn was never promised or told he would be the starter, he was told he could compete for the job. TJ should be butt hurt but not Flynn. Flynn may upset for not preforming as he would like or maybe he just gave it his all and Wilson is just that much better who knows, its all over but the crying now anyway.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Yeah but its different if RW is given the job, then plays POORLY and PC hands it over to Flynn. The only one Flynn should be mad at right now is himself...... But I will say this about how this "competition" went down: Just like in price is right, the last person to bid has and advantage, and how that relates to this 'competition' is that Flynn got the first two starts, and played good, but conservatively. Then game 3, PC decides to through a wrench in the order buy giving RW the start. At that point it was RW job to WIN! He had the advantage of knowing what body of work from Flynn he was up against, and could let loose and swing for the fences. I dont believe this as a conspircy, but it was a factor.

Also on TJack, i saw an interview with him and felt bad for him. He was answering media questions for buffalo, where again he will be a BU in another city, another system, uprooting his family and all that. Just kinda sad cause I think he was a good dude.

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Lets take a step back...

When Holmgren was the coach who was the leader of the Seahawks? Clearly Hasselbeck.

PC is the leader of this team and I really think he likes it that way. I personally think PC took RW under his wing. Just like he says "He's done everything we've asked of him." Wilson is what PC wants in a QB. Just like in college. And how is someone going to show their leadership skills if they are never given the chance to lead? I find it hard to believe that Flynn would have signed if he didn't think he was going to start. I imagine it went something like " We always compete but the job is yours." then it was "well" after Wilson was drafted.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Lets take a step back...

When Holmgren was the coach who was the leader of the Seahawks? Clearly Hasselbeck.

PC is the leader of this team and I really think he likes it that way. I personally think PC took RW under his wing. Just like he says "He's done everything we've asked of him." Wilson is what PC wants in a QB. Just like in college. And how is someone going to show their leadership skills if they are never given the chance to lead? I find it hard to believe that Flynn would have signed if he didn't think he was going to start. I imagine it went something like " We always compete but the job is yours." then it was "well" after Wilson was drafted.

That's a handy conspiracy theory. I still do not get why you think Flynn should have been handed the starting job when he, as a Seahawk, did nothing better than Wilson.

And did you pay attention to the Holmgren era whatsoever?

Idahawk

Reaction score
LOL So people are seeing it as some kind of PC head trip or something?

Do yourself a favor and read up on PC and what he's all about, check out competition Tuesdays at USC. PC will would cut his own momma if a better one came along. No way does he risk everything without he and his staff and probably all the way up to Paul Allen feeling like Wilson is something special and better then Flynn at this point. And don't think for one minute we won't draft another QB should both guys fail, its the plug and play system and nobody is safe.

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
What is your basis for Wilson having outperformed Flynn? If Flynn would have played the second half and scored 10 TD's, what then? Additionally, Wilson had a lot better weapons to work with in game 3.

I'm not buying the sore elbow excuse. Watch the game again. They follow Flynn around for about 5 minutes prior to kickoff. He tries to play it cool but you can tell he is boiling inside. He walks past Wilson and you can see the exchange on both players faces.

The one thing I can say it looks like Wilson has won the contest for who sucks ass better.

I'll give credit to Wilson for his perfomance last week but the rest has been against 2nd and 3rd string players many of which have never played in a real NFL game.

I'm not convinced Flynn wouldn't have done just as good or better. IMO Flynn is a long term answer, Wilson is a bright star who will burn fast. Running QB's don't last long in the NFL.

I'm not going all in with Wilson until I see a real body of work.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
What is your basis for Wilson having outperformed Flynn? If Flynn would have played the second half and scored 10 TD's, what then? Additionally, Wilson had a lot better weapons to work with in game 3.

I'm not buying the sore elbow excuse. Watch the game again. They follow Flynn around for about 5 minutes prior to kickoff. He tries to play it cool but you can tell he is boiling inside. He walks past Wilson and you can see the exchange on both players faces.

The one thing I can say it looks like Wilson has won the contest for who sucks ass better.

I'll give credit to Wilson for his perfomance last week but the rest has been against 2nd and 3rd string players many of which have never played in a real NFL game.

I'm not convinced Flynn wouldn't have done just as good or better. IMO Flynn is a long term answer, Wilson is a bright star who will burn fast. Running QB's don't last long in the NFL.

I'm not going all in with Wilson until I see a real body of work.

But you were all in with Flynn. That's my point. People who were all in with Flynn are having a really difficult time getting the fact that Flynn did not out perform Wilson as a Seahawk and would like to try and boil it down to some theory they have on kissing ass or something. You can play the what-ifs all you want, but the that is not the reality. The reality is that Flynn did not play the second half. He did not score 10 TDs.

And if he really did not have a sore elbow and was just pissed about the whole thing, then I am not sure why you would want that kind of person leading your team. Someone who does not help out their teammates is not what you want in a leadership position in a team game. If you are right, then Flynn basically threw the equivalent of a temper tantrum, which makes the Wilson decision look even better.

And Wilson is not a running QB. He is not even that fast...

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
thats ridiculous, we why would this make any sense at all??????

Did it make any sense to cut ties with Hasselbeck? It was PC's main priorty to resign him in the offseason wasn't it?

It makes a hell of a lot more sense if he had mentored the next QB. You know kinda like what he is doing for Locker and the Titans this season? Oh but Matt wanted more than a 1 year contract right? That was a fucking insult. Does it make any sense to offer a 1 year deal to a record holding veteran priority resigning? No nothing funny about that right? You'd expect a team who thinks so hightly of you to treat you a little better.

Stop making excuses, this is PC's team, nobody elses.

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
But you were all in with Flynn. That's my point. People who were all in with Flynn are having a really difficult time getting the fact that Flynn did not out perform Wilson as a Seahawk and would like to try and boil it down to some theory they have on kissing ass or something. You can play the what-ifs all you want, but the that is not the reality. The reality is that Flynn did not play the second half. He did not score 10 TDs.

And if he really did not have a sore elbow and was just pissed about the whole thing, then I am not sure why you would want that kind of person leading your team. Someone who does not help out their teammates is not what you want in a leadership position in a team game. If you are right, then Flynn basically threw the equivalent of a temper tantrum, which makes the Wilson decision look even better.

Dude I don't know why but people tend to get pissed when you make them feel like everything you ever done doesn't mean shit. Do you blame Hasselbeck for not staying with Seattle or was that just another poor QB throwing a tantrum too?

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
Pete Carroll told Around the League's Dan Hanzus in June that Matt Flynn's guaranteed money wouldn't factor into his decision on a starting QB...

That proved to be true !!!

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Dude I don't know why but people tend to get pissed when you make them feel like everything you ever done doesn't mean shit. Do you blame Hasselbeck for not staying with Seattle or was that just another poor QB throwing a tantrum too?

I think you would have a very valid point IF Flynn had been promised the starting job. But it was very clear from the beginning that he would compete for the starting job. He does not have to like what has happened to him, but he should at the very least be professional and a team player about it. Other people in every other profession run into hurdles and deal with them in a professional manner.

Hasselbeck was a free agent and wanted more money than the Seahawks were willing to offer. It had nothing to do with a competition. Hasselbeck's situation is not really applicable to this one - at least with the Seahawks. BUT, since you did bring him into it, his attitude since being beat out by Locker is an excellent example of the manner in which I would expect a professional to conduct themselves.

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score

I have to say he did really well in the pocket. He took quite a few hits and a couple of sacks but not too bad.

At 5'11 he better get faster or he isn't going to last long.

I like Wilson's quote "I've never seen someone running after me that fast."

Blockers won't catch them everytime.

Idahawk

Reaction score
On the topic of Flynn being Traded , I wonder if we have had any contacts ? I am dead against it , I just wonder.

As far as some people feeling like maybe PC has lied to some players over the years , I can see it, I have always viewed him as" slippery pete" . He has a way of saying things that everyone wants to hear and can bullshit with the best of them but ultimately its what you do on the field that matters to PC.

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score

I think you would have a very valid point IF Flynn had been promised the starting job. But it was very clear from the beginning that he would compete for the starting job. He does not have to like what has happened to him, but he should at the very least be professional and a team player about it. Other people in every other profession run into hurdles and deal with them in a professional manner.

Hasselbeck was a free agent and wanted more money than the Seahawks were willing to offer. It had nothing to do with a competition. Hasselbeck's situation is not really applicable to this one - at least with the Seahawks. BUT, since you did bring him into it, his attitude since being beat out by Locker is an excellent example of the manner in which I would expect a professional to conduct themselves.

But you do agree that it isn't right that they offered him a 1 year deal? After something like that I kinda get a feeling of what PC is all about. I think Wilson gives PC the best chance to win, but not neccesarily the Seahawks.

Hasselbeck started over a veteran QB who had just won a SB in his first year. It was never officially announced but Matt was given the team when Holmgren signed him and Holmgren stuck to his word. At that stage in Matt's career I don't think he was even close to as good as Flynn is right now and I still wonder if we could have won a SB that year. Dilfer almost got us into the playoffs.

Hasselbeck doesn't need to prove anything. He's had a really good career therefor there is no reason he should be upset. I image he does probibly wish he could be doing what he is doing with Seattle though.

Top Bottom