• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks trade for Whitehurst

Trumpet Man

Huddler
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;46444 said:
? Whitey is a unknown also but 4+ yrs older and no more exp than a rookie.

Whitey has 4 years in a pro system tutored by Norv Turner (who is a QB guru) - Ramsdell (QB coach who rocks) and Volek. He has taken pre-season snaps albeit pre-season and has taken hard shots and gets up firing.

A rookie has none of that at all.

In other words, the learning curve is not as steep by getting Whitey versus a draft pick.

Reaction score
Trumpet Man;46441 said:
Hey dudes - super long time Bolt fan here.

I just wanted to chime in on Whitey.

Let me just cut to the chase. I am bummed he is leaving but Charlie has an opportunity in the same vein to show what he has got. I have watched this dude in camp and in pre-season. He has wheels, an arm and looks all the part. I do not watch a lot of college ball but I read that while Whitey was at Clemson, they changed offensive coordinators every year on the brother which somewhat affected his stats.

The first few preseason games I watched of Charlie, he looked like dynamite - the real deal. Although, his last few outings he looked like crap. Dude needs the reps and you cats are going to be fine. Relax.

Billy Volek is arguably the best back up QB who was brought in to back up Rivers who is no slouch and to groom Whitey.

Whitey can play at this level and take a hit and get up slinging. Not the same could be said about whomever you were all thinking about drafting for an heir apparent to Hassleback...plus Whitey is cheaper than rolling the dice in the draft on an unknown baller.

Trust in Whitey.

Go Chargers !!!!!

Thanks for the confidence, but he still needs a line to be successful. Any QB needs that. Just ask Hasselbeck when he was successful why he was. I'm sure he'll tell you the success of Walter Jones and Hutch obviously helped him a lot. I think if we can bolster the O-line then I'm not as worried, but until then we have problems. How do we bolster the lines? Drafting guys and by signing Jared Gaither. Something I haven't seen us attempt to do.

Trumpet Man

Huddler
Reaction score
Hawk096;46447 said:
Thanks for the confidence, but he still needs a line to be successful. Any QB needs that. Just ask Hasselbeck when he was successful why he was. I'm sure he'll tell you the success of Walter Jones and Hutch obviously helped him a lot. I think if we can bolster the O-line then I'm not as worried, but until then we have problems. How do we bolster the lines? Drafting guys and by signing Jared Gaither. Something I haven't seen us attempt to do.

While you guys are building your lines at least Whitey can run for his life and still throw an accurate ball.

Our O-line is average to below average leaning to below average every year. Rivers already has had a lis franc fracture of the foot and his ACL's were nuked two years ago all due to crappy o-line play but Rivers has been successful - somewhat. I agree that you need a line or you are basically dead in this league. Just look at the Chargers playoff losses when teams run up and down the field on us.

Reaction score
dmarkholt12;46426 said:
to say that teel has the same upside and potential as whitehurst is crazy and you must not have watched either one play. if teel was the future of the franchise he would have gotten a chance in last years ship wreck to prove it. its a done deal, so wait and see what happens.

Wow really... the numbers say that Teel did better then Whitehurst last year and Teel was a rookie whitehurst(the "more" experienced) was worse then a rookie that we already had...... and yeah i watched both play and the only thing Teel has less of is speed. Watch the damn Oakland raiders preseason game or some damn film of Teel he has a monster arm... he is accurate.... and he doesn't throw picks.... Whitehurst might be good but he is inconsistent.. i can throw good inconsistently but this franchise doesnt need a guy who will be great one game and then throw 4 pick the next.

and they defiantly don't need to be giving up picks for one.

Teel didn't get a chance last year because the FO and the coaches were morons.... the same people that started someone with a broken thumb who wasnt a center at center over Unger... the same people who started JJ over Forsett.... so him not being started last year obviously does not reflect on his skill.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Well now we all know where we stand on this trade, so my next question is what do we do with Matt?

After giving up what we did and paying him what we are for a short contract which means he needs on the field to prove whether we re-sign him as our future or let him fall to FA after 2 years, what now?

Do yall think we keep Matt and allow him to be a backup and would he accept that role?
Do you think the staff is preparing to trade him and get what they can before he has no value?
Do you think they made this trade and gave up everything to watch Charlie sit behind Matt and have us sit in the same situation as yesteryear but with worse picks?

The more I look at this the more I think Matt is about to get shafted. We have Charlie, we have Teel, so the young guns are already here. I have a feeling the FO is interested in tossing Matt and moving on with the future now without locker room QB controversy, and grabbing a grizzled vet who is comfortable with the role of 2nd/3rd string QB and mentor.

So I guess my question is what is Matt's value and where could he land? Any ideas?

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
I AGREE 100% EricOV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EricOV;46451 said:
Wow really... the numbers say that Teel did better then Whitehurst last year and Teel was a rookie whitehurst(the "more" experienced) was worse then a rookie that we already had...... and yeah i watched both play and the only thing Teel has less of is speed. Watch the damn Oakland raiders preseason game or some damn film of Teel he has a monster arm... he is accurate.... and he doesn't throw picks.... Whitehurst might be good but he is inconsistent.. i can throw good inconsistently but this franchise doesnt need a guy who will be great one game and then throw 4 pick the next.

and they defiantly don't need to be giving up picks for one.

Teel didn't get a chance last year because the FO and the coaches were morons.... the same people that started someone with a broken thumb who wasnt a center at center over Unger... the same people who started JJ over Forsett.... so him not being started last year obviously does not reflect on his skill.

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
I was told by someone on here not to look at his college stuff....cough dmarkholtsomething cough

looked at some film on youtube and he looks like a guy with skill but nothing upstairs. Stupid choices and trusted his arm too much. NOT a NFL arm he underthrew his receivers ALOT.

dmarkholt12;46440 said:
i saw him play in college and in pre season games. have always thought the guy had the ability to be great. stats dont tell the story for him and dont do him any justice. he has been inconsistent, but that can easily be fixed.

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
Who has Norv tutored as a HEAD COACH?

Trumpet Man;46446 said:
Whitey has 4 years in a pro system tutored by Norv Turner (who is a QB guru) - Ramsdell (QB coach who rocks) and Volek. He has taken pre-season snaps albeit pre-season and has taken hard shots and gets up firing.

A rookie has none of that at all.

In other words, the learning curve is not as steep by getting Whitey versus a draft pick.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46436 said:
The exact same situation except Hasselbeck was 3 years younger, didn't spend the last 4 years as the 3rd string QB, and was hand picked by a coach who had experience with him and had coached Hall of Fame quarterbacks. Also, how much of Hasselbeck's development was because he had Holmgren as a coach for 10 years?

So yeah, its the same situation if you look at it as trading draft value for a backup QB. Other than that, I don't think they're that similar at all.

2 years younger (Hasselbeck was 25). And he didn't spend 4 years as a third stringer. He was on the practice squad and then backed up Favre.

My point is that trading for Hasselbeck was a largely unpopular move and a pretty big gamble that turned out to be a good move. Give this one some time...

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;46454 said:
I was told by someone on here not to look at his college stuff....cough dmarkholtsomething cough

looked at some film on youtube and he looks like a guy with skill but nothing upstairs. Stupid choices and trusted his arm too much. NOT a NFL arm he underthrew his receivers ALOT.
you are crazy if you think he does not have an nfl arm. you guys have literally probably never seen this guy play in a live game and are passing judgment on him without any knowledge about him. wait and see how it turns out. like it or not the deal was made. it doesnt help coming into a new city that has absolutely NO faith in you. give the guy a shot. all im saying is the guy gives you reason to be optimistic about this deal. im not saying we have traded for the next peyton manning.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
and eric...to say that you can be good but inconsistent comparing yourself to an nfl quarterback is ridiculous.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
read any article on whitehurst swag...you are surely wrong about his arm. i read an article earlier saying that he had the best arm on the san diego roster.

tekzilla39

Huddler
Reaction score
I am ok with the trade. He has a fresh arm and most importantly a body that has not been worn down yet. I am pretty sure he was w/ the chargers for so long even though he never started a game. And remember the is someone in the chargers front office who has ties to seahawks front office.

knownone

Huddler
Reaction score
Not sure where his arm came into question... the guy has a rocket arm and one of the quickest releases i've ever seen.
I do agree he didn't make the best decisions in college, but if you know anything about Clemson they had absolutely no O-line and a awful receiving core.

Reaction score
Number 18;46459 said:
2 years younger (Hasselbeck was 25). And he didn't spend 4 years as a third stringer. He was on the practice squad and then backed up Favre.

My point is that trading for Hasselbeck was a largely unpopular move and a pretty big gamble that turned out to be a good move. Give this one some time...

I guess in my mind, the thing that just doesn't sit well with me is that he's going into his 5th year and he was still the 3rd string QB. I don't blame him for being behind Rivers, but if he is worth how much we gave up for him, SD wouldn't have needed Volek to be the backup. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I just don't have a whole lot of faith in this move.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46466 said:
I guess in my mind, the thing that just doesn't sit well with me is that he's going into his 5th year and he was still the 3rd string QB. I don't blame him for being behind Rivers, but if he is worth how much we gave up for him, SD wouldn't have needed Volek to be the backup. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I just don't have a whole lot of faith in this move.
i get what you are saying. but a guy like volek was brought in as a backup because he is a veteran and could help mentor and develop whitehurst. they are trading the guy because they know they can get value for him when they dont need him. they already have their franchise qb and volek is a very solid backup. they know he can start somewhere as well as other teams which is why they put such a high tender on him as a 3rd stringer.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46466 said:

Legitimate concern. I am sure even Carroll and Schneider aren't sure. Holmgren wasn't when he brought Hasselbeck over.

Top Bottom