• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks trade for Whitehurst

WAboltfan

Huddler
Reaction score
I am very surprised by this trade. I think the 2nd rd swap is a bit much and $10 mil for an uncertain starter is alot. But I've watched him the last few years and he really hasn't gotten his shot. His preseason stats really aren't all that accurate being the 3rd stringer, because he didn't really have the personnel around him either. Also, learning from one of the best in Rivers and how to be a leader can't hurt. I hope it works out.

HollywoodLeo

Huddler
Reaction score
Hawk096;46347 said:
Here's something I read and found interesting on Rotoworld. If Norv Turner is as knowledgeable at the QB level as people think why is all they wanted was a 3rd-round for him? If he was any better Norv would have wanted more and they wanted something in return if someone signed him. Therefore they tagged him the lowest they could (his original pick). Quite interesting to me. I'm not really proud of this deal, but willing to see how it works out. If we get a good enough line who knows maybe it works out, but until then I think we overpaid.

In the end he's still a 3rd string QB that hasn't thrown a pass at the NFL level.

Norv can think what he wants of him, his value is still what it is. Nobody's going to pay more than what you guys did for him no matter how highly Norv might think of him. Tagging him with anything higher than the 3rd round tender would have been stupid because nobody would have signed him and the Chargers would have wound up overpaying their third string QB. (Because, unlike in Seattle, there's no way he supplants the starter in San Diego barring injury)

Quite frankly, I'm surprised he even commanded as much as he did.

Reaction score
We could have gotten Aquan Boldin for less than what we gave up for Whitehurst. The contract side isn't that bad considering teams give a lot more money and years to college players coming into the NFL, but giving up a 3rd round pick and moving down in the 2nd seems like a lot for an unproven QB.

Reaction score
HollywoodLeo;46414 said:
Philip Rivers and Billy Volek

If the dude can't beat Billy Volek for the backup spot, then there's no reason we should have given up as much as we did to get him.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
the guy hasnt gotten his shot yet so give him a chance to prove himself. i understand the skepticism about this move, it is very risky. but give the guy a shot. all you have to do is watch a little film on the guy and you know he has the ability to be good.

Reaction score
people are crazy bottom line is he has been a 3rd string QB for 4yrs and has done absolutely nothing good in preseason or regular season....Teel was third string QB too and he managed to put up better numbers his rookie year than this guy did last year. Teel also didnt have great players to throw to in preseason he just played better...... And Teel has all the Damn tools needed to make a good QB (Good arm, Good size, smart with the ball, etc) and we dont have to give away anything to get him so why the F*#* would we want this guy...... Why take a gamble with him where you could take a gamble with someone you have already... that has the same if not better potential... and you dont lose any damn picks.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Whats done is done, and as I look over the trade I can think of only a few things.

For one, he is mobile and not afraid of taking a hit. Seneca had fallen out of favor and our line is far from stable, thus we needed someone who could play while on the move and not be afraid of tucking it in. (Respect and love Matt, but he is about through.)

For two, after Aaron Rodgers found success statistically after coming off the bench for several years it has sparked the thought that perhaps it is better to let a QB mold through clipboard holding instead of throwing him to the wolves as has become popular these days.

SD already put in the grunt work of giving him his time on the pine, and it is not often a 3rd string QB holds this much attention on a regular basis (last few years his name has come up in trade talks every year).

I see this as a move to simply try to get our own version of Rodgers without having to take the beating over the next 4 years as we try to mold one ourselves. Instead we plug him in and give him his shot in our system, if he fails then we will have no choice but to draft a high end QB.

If it does pan out, then we saved ourselves a lot of time and money, a 1st round draft choice which would have gone to a QB, years of maturing a very young player into a man, and thus avoid the chance we end up with Jamarcus Russell Jr. I am not saying this is a great move, but I have seen worse and I understand some of the thought behind it.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Striker;46425 said:
Whats done is done, and as I look over the trade I can think of only a few things.

For one, he is mobile and not afraid of taking a hit. Seneca had fallen out of favor and our line is far from stable, thus we needed someone who could play while on the move and not be afraid of tucking it in. (Respect and love Matt, but he is about through.)

For two, after Aaron Rodgers found success statistically after coming off the bench for several years it has sparked the thought that perhaps it is better to let a QB mold through clipboard holding instead of throwing him to the wolves as has become popular these days.

SD already put in the grunt work of giving him his time on the pine, and it is not often a 3rd string QB holds this much attention on a regular basis (last few years his name has come up in trade talks every year).

I see this as a move to simply try to get our own version of Rodgers without having to take the beating over the next 4 years as we try to mold one ourselves. Instead we plug him in and give him his shot in our system, if he fails then we will have no choice but to draft a high end QB.

If it does pan out, then we saved ourselves a lot of time and money, a 1st round draft choice which would have gone to a QB, years of maturing a very young player into a man, and thus avoid the chance we end up with Jamarcus Russell Jr. I am not saying this is a great move, but I have seen worse and I understand some of the thought behind it.
thank you very much for that comment! if you watch him play he actually does resemble aaron rodgers...who schneider was a part of drafting in green bay. to say that teel has the same upside and potential as whitehurst is crazy and you must not have watched either one play. if teel was the future of the franchise he would have gotten a chance in last years ship wreck to prove it. its a done deal, so wait and see what happens.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Haha. I love reading all this. Anyone remember a guy named Matt Hasselbeck? Almost identical situation when we traded for him. I am not guaranteeing Whitehurst will turn into a Hasselbeck, but you also cannot guarantee that he will not.

Hawk30

Huddler
Reaction score
Im interested to see how he turns out as well. Though I would like to see us get a QB maybe in next years draft.....if we're sh**y again maybe we get Locker! Either way, love Matt but hes on his way out and id like to see the hawks get a franchise/hall of fame style QB!

Hawk30

Huddler
Reaction score
Adam Schefter on ESPN just called this signing the biggest GAMBLE of the nfl off season. Sayin Carol brought him in to challenge Matt, and we're no longer lookin at a QB in this years draft, (at least in the early rounds). And since we moved back in the second round theres pretty much no possibility that we get Marshal either!!!....Wow Carol I hope you have some idea of what the hell your doin!!!:ranting:

Reaction score
The chances of Hasselbeck making it through this season without an injury is pretty low. I hope Whitehurst turns into a great QB, but we won't know for a few more years.

Reaction score
Number 18;46429 said:
Haha. I love reading all this. Anyone remember a guy named Matt Hasselbeck? Almost identical situation when we traded for him. I am not guaranteeing Whitehurst will turn into a Hasselbeck, but you also cannot guarantee that he will not.

The exact same situation except Hasselbeck was 3 years younger, didn't spend the last 4 years as the 3rd string QB, and was hand picked by a coach who had experience with him and had coached Hall of Fame quarterbacks. Also, how much of Hasselbeck's development was because he had Holmgren as a coach for 10 years?

So yeah, its the same situation if you look at it as trading draft value for a backup QB. Other than that, I don't think they're that similar at all.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46436 said:
The exact same situation except Hasselbeck was 3 years younger, didn't spend the last 4 years as the 3rd string QB, and was hand picked by a coach who had experience with him and had coached Hall of Fame quarterbacks. Also, how much of Hasselbeck's development was because he had Holmgren as a coach for 10 years?

So yeah, its the same situation if you look at is as trading draft value for a backup QB. Other than that, I don't think they're that similar at all.
you are right, they arent similar really. but if you watch film you will see that this guy has the ability to be better than hasselbeck ever was. the point he was making is that there was the same skepticism about hasselbeck as there is whitehurst. all you can do is wait and see how it works out.

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
So are most QB's drafted

knownone;46396 said:
Not a lot of people realize he was projected out of the draft to be a future starter, A project player with a huge upside.
QUOTE]

Trumpet Man

Huddler
Reaction score
Hey dudes - super long time Bolt fan here.

I just wanted to chime in on Whitey.

Let me just cut to the chase. I am bummed he is leaving but Charlie has an opportunity in the same vein to show what he has got. I have watched this dude in camp and in pre-season. He has wheels, an arm and looks all the part. I do not watch a lot of college ball but I read that while Whitey was at Clemson, they changed offensive coordinators every year on the brother which somewhat affected his stats.

The first few preseason games I watched of Charlie, he looked like dynamite - the real deal. Although, his last few outings he looked like crap. Dude needs the reps and you cats are going to be fine. Relax.

Billy Volek is arguably the best back up QB who was brought in to back up Rivers who is no slouch and to groom Whitey.

Whitey can play at this level and take a hit and get up slinging. Not the same could be said about whomever you were all thinking about drafting for an heir apparent to Hassleback...plus Whitey is cheaper than rolling the dice in the draft on an unknown baller.

Trust in Whitey.

Go Chargers !!!!!

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
Trumpet Man;46441 said:
plus Whitey is cheaper than rolling the dice in the draft on an unknown baller.
QUOTE]

? Whitey is a unknown also but 4+ yrs older and no more exp than a rookie.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;46444 said:
Trumpet Man;46441 said:
plus Whitey is cheaper than rolling the dice in the draft on an unknown baller.
QUOTE]

? Whitey is a unknown also but 4+ yrs older and no more exp than a rookie.
regardless of whether he has actually been on the field in a regular season game or not, he has been in a pro system for 4 years. he knows what its about. he has had a chance to learn. to say he has no more exp than a rookie is a little absurd.

Top Bottom