• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks trade for Whitehurst

Reaction score
Then you're just going back to the early 90s. Trade for Kelly Stouffer, draft Rick Mirer and Dan McGuire. I just want a healthy powerful OL. If we can get that then I have no problem with Whitehurst, but given no OL right now and what we gave up. I'm not for this deal at all. Like Mike Sando said:

"The Seahawks can still come out OK in the end, but the Cardinals and Chargers look better right now."

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
szat;46374 said:
You just arent looking at the depth #s are you.
Your just buying whatever they are selling, and hey thats cool, im a homer too, but why make more need at positions we already have need at!

Tapp- Who do we have at DE?? Kerney will retire and now we have only Lawerence Jackson, Nick Reed, so now WE NEED to get 1-2 in the draft.

Grant- Now we have no play babs and Miloy (retire?)
Now we neeed! to get a safety in the draft., which yes we may get at #6

I also think there are lot more options at #40 then #60 (RB, QB, OG, DE, S)

Im not jumping ship just saying WTF, and yes I can be critical 2 weeks in.
haha im not buying anything. i am just saying there is new management and coaching. they are going to get the guys they want to fit their scheme. and yes i am looking at depth, which is why they aquired more lbs...most likely hinting they are going to switch to a 3-4 defense. they got a blocking TE, and having depth at TE is important in jeremy bates offense. wait until you see the final product.

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
you gotta have a BIG ASS NT for a 3-4
either way Okung, Berry, or McCoy will be there at 6 thanks to Clausen and Bradford going top 4

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;46381 said:
you gotta have a BIG ASS NT for a 3-4
either way Okung, Berry, or McCoy will be there at 6 thanks to Clausen and Bradford going top 4
i realize that...but everything they have done so far hints thats what they want to do...if not then the signing of mccoy doesnt make a lot of sense as well as trading tapp for clemons (even though we did get a 4th rd pick as well so im not upset with that trade either way). getting either of those players will have a huge impact on this team.

Reaction score
Charlie whitehurst Last preseason: 34/59, 57.6%, 386 yds, 2 TDs, 3 Ints, 67.5 rating and that was mostly vs backups!

Awesome GOOOOOOO Hawks.:harvey:

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
EricOV;46384 said:
Charlie whitehurst Last preseason: 34/59, 57.6%, 386 yds, 2 TDs, 3 Ints, 67.5 rating :rotfl:and that was mostly vs backups!

LMFAO those numbers are worse than Teels and right about what he did in college

Teel
20/41 49% 238 yrds 3TD 1int 81.1 rating :bow:

Still take Teel who is younger knows the players and paid about 1/15 of the new guy.

Reaction score
EricOV;46384 said:
Charlie whitehurst Last preseason: 34/59, 57.6%, 386 yds, 2 TDs, 3 Ints, 67.5 rating and that was mostly vs backups!

I wonder what Hasselbeck's stats looked like before he was traded to Seattle.

knownone

Huddler
Reaction score
I really like this trade, Whitehurst is better than any QB we could get in the 3rd and Pete Carroll is keeping true to his word of wanting to win now.

Had Whitehurst been consistent in college he would have easily been a top 20 pick.
Perfect size, Fundamental passer with a great release.
Now he's had 4 years with Norv Turner a guy known for developing good QBs!

I like what this team is doing, I remember when Ruskell was in free agency and I understood everything he was doing it was all low risk and although I never agreed with his moves at least they made sense.

This team now reminds me of the Patriots; Nothing makes sense!
Bringing in Volatile wideouts, unproven players, trading away good players!
Hopefully it works out for us as well as them.

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
phaZe;46386 said:
I wonder what Hasselbeck's stats looked like before he was traded to Seattle.

looked everywhere

found a paper article from 99 that had him 10-14 127 yrds 3 TD no Int in preseason
that alone is more than Whitehurst

career reg season when we traded for him Hasselbeck's career statistics are 13-for-29 for 145 yards and two touchdowns 0 int.

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
How do you know? Most QB that will get drafted in the 3rd have far better college numbers and the same amount of NFL regular season experience. Also they would make about 9 million less. Matt Nichols will still be there and he was the best FCS QB and he did get props from ESPN at the shrine game for his NFL arm.....

knownone;46387 said:
I really like this trade, Whitehurst is better than any QB we could get in the 3rd and Pete Carroll is keeping true to his word of wanting to win now.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;46389 said:
How do you know? Most QB that will get drafted in the 3rd have far better college numbers and the same amount of NFL regular season experience. Also they would make about 9 million less. Matt Nichols will still be there and he was the best FCS QB and he did get props from ESPN at the shrine game for his NFL arm.....
stop bringing up college stats...they mean nothing this is the nfl. no one knows how this deal will work out so just wait and see. could be a homerun or a bust, only time will tell. for now just welcome the guy with open arms and support.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;46391 said:
have to bring up college because those are the only stats he has
true but college stats really are pointless to a certain extent. if you watch him play you will see the guy has the tools to be great. reminds me a lot of aaron rodgers...dont forget that is where schneider came from. dont quote me on a direct comparison to rodgers, i just see a lot of similarties with the size, poise, arm strength, release, and mobility.

knownone

Huddler
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;46389 said:

Don't fall in love with College stats they very rarely translate to the NFL.

If you look at the measurable's Size, Arm Strength, Accuracy, Mechanics Whitehurst is better than anything we could get in the 3rd round this year.

Whitehurst major flaw is consistency in his decision making, A year behind Hass and good coaching could turn this kid into a pro-bowler.

Reaction score
knownone;46393 said:
Don't fall in love with College stats they very rarely translate to the NFL.

If you look at the measurable's Size, Arm Strength, Accuracy, Mechanics Whitehurst is better than anything we could get in the 3rd round this year.

Whitehurst major flaw is consistency in his decision making, A year behind Hass and good coaching could turn this kid into a pro-bowler.

So if you are ignoring college stats, then how exactly have you come up with this analysis of him? From his 59 attempts against guys who probably didn't make their respective NFL regular season rosters?

knownone

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46395 said:
So if you are ignoring college stats, then how exactly have you come up with this analysis of him? From his 59 attempts against guys who probably didn't make their respective NFL regular season rosters?
I lived in San Diego when the Chargers drafted him, He was the back up plan if Philip Rivers didn't pan out, I've seen a lot of game tape on him, Read a lot about him.

Not a lot of people realize he was projected out of the draft to be a future starter, A project player with a huge upside.

The reason you throw out stats in college is because of system and talent / conference strength. Certain players are lucky to have great players around them while others are stuck on largely untalented teams.
Whitehurst was on a team devoid of talented wideouts and he suffered because of it.

NW Bolt Fan

Huddler
Reaction score
Not sure if this'll make you feel any better...

But I was pizzzzzzzed when we took him with our 3rd rounder 4 years ago when we already had Rivers. A bit high to be taking a back-up.

Positives- He's got a great arm. He's learned plenty in the NFL. He's a pocket QB. Decent mobility (better than Rivers).

Negatives- He never unseated Volek- I never understood why we used a 3rd and then wasn't given a shot as the #2. IMO, he never looked all that great in pre-season, and a Chargers board was ready to crucify the guy after a couple pre-season games at one point.

Bottom line- If he turns into a starting QB, and he VERY WELL COULD, you made a good deal. If he doesn't you got hosed.

Reaction score
knownone;46396 said:
I lived in San Diego when the Chargers drafted him, He was the back up plan if Philip Rivers didn't pan out, I've seen a lot of game tape on him, Read a lot about him.

Not a lot of people realize he was projected out of the draft to be a future starter, A project player with a huge upside.

The reason you throw out stats in college is because of system and talent / conference strength. Certain players are lucky to have great players around them while others are stuck on largely untalented teams.
Whitehurst was on a team devoid of talented wideouts and he suffered because of it.

So you're throwing out college stats but you're opinion is based on what he was projected to do coming out of college? I couldn't care less if 5 years ago he was projected as a starter. The fact is that he is a 3rd string quarterback. I find it difficult to believe that a guy who couldn't unseat Volek from the backup spot will ever be worth what we are giving up for him.

knownone

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46398 said:
So you're throwing out college stats but you're opinion is based on what he was projected to do coming out of college? I couldn't care less if 5 years ago he was projected as a starter. The fact is that he is a 3rd string quarterback. I find it difficult to believe that a guy who couldn't unseat Volek from the backup spot will ever be worth what we are giving up for him.
Not at all, my opinion is based on what i've seen from him; Watch tape on him he's very talented what his projection was and what draft experts have said about him only backs up my feelings on the kid.

I completely understand where you are coming from, A third stringer whose never played a down just cost us draft picks! but it's a little more complex than it seems.

Billy Volek was brought in as a veteran presence to mentor both Rivers and Whitehurst; The reason Volek was #2 is experience they are a Superbowl caliber team and if Rivers for whatever reason went down they'd much rather put in Volek who won't lose the game than a young guy who's more talented yet prone to mistakes.
It has nothing to do with who's better than whom, It's the smart thing to do.

Reaction score
knownone;46402 said:
Not at all, my opinion is based on what i've seen from him; Watch tape on him he's very talented what his projection was and what draft experts have said about him only backs up my feelings on the kid.

I completely understand where you are coming from, A third stringer whose never played a down just cost us draft picks! but it's a little more complex than it seems.

Billy Volek was brought in as a veteran presence to mentor both Rivers and Whitehurst; The reason Volek was #2 is experience they are a Superbowl caliber team and if Rivers for whatever reason went down they'd much rather put in Volek who won't lose the game than a young guy who's more talented yet prone to mistakes.
It has nothing to do with who's better than whom, It's the smart thing to do.

I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you. In my opinion, no matter what logic you try to justify it with, we gave up way too much for a 27 year old guy who's never played in an NFL game. Starting caliber QB's don't go 4 years without ever making it past 3rd string.

Top Bottom