• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks trade for Whitehurst

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Hawk096;46321 said:
According to reports his contract would be $10 over 2-years. If this is true I don't think he's being brought in to be a back-up or jersey on the sidelines. Either he's going to start and Matt is back-up or he's starting and Matt is let go. I don't see them making this deal for a back-up.

i can see them bringing him in to be a backup for one year to learn the system under hass and then naming him the starter next year. derek anderson received a healthy contract from arizona and im pretty sure he will just be a backup. i think this deal is a good deal. we swap 2nd round picks and pretty much just sending them next years 3rd round pick for him.

Reaction score
Moving down 20 spots in the 2nd AND giving up a 3rd rounder next year for a 27 year old who's never thrown a single regular season pass? Stupid move. I don't really understand what these co-GM's are doing.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46326 said:
Moving down 20 spots in the 2nd AND giving up a 3rd rounder next year for a 27 year old who's never thrown a single regular season pass? Stupid move. I don't really understand what these co-GM's are doing.

it is a lot to give up for him, but honestly if it works out and he is who everyone thinks he is then it is worth it and a steal.

Reaction score
dmarkholt12;46327 said:
it is a lot to give up for him, but honestly if it works out and he is who everyone thinks he is then it is worth it and a steal.

What makes anyone think it'll work out? If this guy is worth giving up that much to get him, then why has he been nothing more than a 3rd string QB for the past 4 years? He's never played in a regular season game so any "potential" that people see in him is based on what he did in college 5 years ago. For a team that needs to get younger in a hurry, gambling that much draft value is stupid.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
seahawkscott19;46331 said:
What makes anyone think it'll work out? If this guy is worth giving up that much to get him, then why has he been nothing more than a 3rd string QB for the past 4 years? He's never played in a regular season game so any "potential" that people see in him is based on what he did in college 5 years ago. For a team that needs to get younger in a hurry, gambling that much draft value is stupid.

he is only 27...and he played behind rivers. just wait and see is all im saying. this is the guy carroll wants to run his system and his tools to be a great qb are undeniable. so just wait and see how it plays out.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
This signals the end of the Hass era. I believe they are gonna start him this year, there is no way they put everything on a single year before letting his contract expire or re-sign him to a lucrative deal. They will need both years to see what he is made of and let this experiment play out.

Reaction score
This is a very bad deal, but obviously the Chargers and Seahawks know something about this guy that we don't. If I knew what they did I probably would consider it a good deal.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
phaZe;46335 said:
This is a very bad deal, but obviously the Chargers and Seahawks know something about this guy that we don't. If I knew what they did I probably would consider it a good deal.
thats what im saying. they obviously know a little bit about this guy that impressed them to give up what they did. carroll wanted this guy to be the head of his team for a reason. just let it play out and if after 2 years he was a joke, then we can officially call it a bad deal. for now i am optimistic of it and am gladly welcoming whitehurst to seattle! changes had to be made and its a new era for hawks football.

Reaction score
dmarkholt12;46336 said:
thats what im saying. they obviously know a little bit about this guy that impressed them to give up what they did. carroll wanted this guy to be the head of his team for a reason. just let it play out and if after 2 years he was a joke, then we can officially call it a bad deal. for now i am optimistic of it and am gladly welcoming whitehurst to seattle! changes had to be made and its a new era for hawks football.
Hopefully he turns out to be a great QB for the team. Otherwise the new GM is going to get a lot of angry fans.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
phaZe;46337 said:
Hopefully he turns out to be a great QB for the team. Otherwise the new GM is going to get a lot of angry fans.
agreed...there will be angry fans no matter what happens for some reason. they are taking risks and trying to turn this franchise around rather then sitting on there ass thinking nothing is wrong and i give them props for that. im optimistic it will work out now lets go solidify our line and get impact players on both sides of the ball through the draft!

Reaction score
How many seahawk fans were ecstatic when holmgren brought in a bench warmer by the name of Hasselbeck?

Not a big fan of this trade, I wish next years 3rd rounder alone would've been enough... but I will give this guy a shot.

Reaction score
Hawk096;46340 said:
The terms make me believe he's not here to be a back-up.

Agreed. But his experience doesn't make me think he's here to be a starter. That's why I don't like this trade.

LaceyBALL3R360

Huddler
Reaction score
give the guy a shot good god, whitehurst has been learning from some smart people in san diego. were not giving up a whole lot so whats the big deal. with no cap and by far the richest owner in the nfl 5 mil a year is worth a gamble... plus now when we take douchebag tebow at 60 instead of 40 it wont look as bad

LaceyBALL3R360

Huddler
Reaction score
im pretty sure hassleback will still b starter but i would be shocked if he lasted an entire season w/o injuries plus a bunch of pics

Reaction score
Here's something I read and found interesting on Rotoworld. If Norv Turner is as knowledgeable at the QB level as people think why is all they wanted was a 3rd-round for him? If he was any better Norv would have wanted more and they wanted something in return if someone signed him. Therefore they tagged him the lowest they could (his original pick). Quite interesting to me. I'm not really proud of this deal, but willing to see how it works out. If we get a good enough line who knows maybe it works out, but until then I think we overpaid.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Hawk096;46347 said:
Here's something I read and found interesting on Rotoworld. If Norv Turner is as knowledgeable at the QB level as people think why is all they wanted was a 3rd-round for him? If he was any better Norv would have wanted more and they wanted something in return if someone signed him. Therefore they tagged him the lowest they could (his original pick). Quite interesting to me. I'm not really proud of this deal, but willing to see how it works out. If we get a good enough line who knows maybe it works out, but until then I think we overpaid.
i see what you are saying, but as a 3rd string qb asking for a 3rd round pick is saying A LOT. i dont know of another 3rd string qb in the nfl, let alone 2nd string besides kevin kolb that would get that kind of tender. if he is asking for a 3rd round pick for this guy he has to be worth something. he knows that no one would ever give up a 1st round pick for him or even a straight up 2nd. i think what we gave them is a lot and what were paying him is a lot, but in 2-3 years from now we could be saying this was a steal for this guy. give the FO the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing and the player they are getting.

Reaction score
Then why did we? That's my point we shouldn't have done this without seeing. I mean Billy Volek was ahead of him on the depth chart. I'm not saying this deal won't work out. I hope it does, but in all honesty we have a right to criticize and ask ourselves "Why this deal?"

Top Bottom