• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks Select Bruce Irvin, DE

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Well I will say Id like to see more of this at da Clink though!

The only problem is he lines up RE and thats clems spot, Pete must be schemeing. I truely think you could put him at SS and he could still get to the QB with that blazing speeeed and quickness.

2pac

Huddler
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to these boards, recently became less of a 'Hawks hater after this draft pick. As a WVU student I have had the pleasure of watching Bruce Irvin play in person over the last 2 seasons. He will be something special for your team, he explodes off the snap faster then most WR's do. His insane 4.43 speed is not a joke as I have seen him run down running backs from 10 yards behind them on a regular basis. Both of these attributes combined are a huge part of his ability to get the edge and blow past the D. He is freakishly powerful and has the ability to drive defenders back off the line which helped his fellow line men/LB's bust through the open gap for a clear shot at opposing QB's. And if the lineman does get into his block before Bruce can get around him he has an amazing ability to cut to the inside and get a straight shot at the QB. He does have some down sides on the field when it comes to stopping the Rush and when he drops into coverage, although he played Safety in high school and started as one in JC, he seems to have lost his DB instincts. Overall he is an exciting and very smart player, he will do everything that his body will allow him to do in order to find ways to get to the QB and make plays. His life after high school and the way he has achieved success has molded him into the type of person that only knows one way of doing things, and that is to do them as hard as you can until it works. There are those few people in the world that may not fit the typical mold, but will always find a way to be successful. He just happened to be able to get that chance in the NFL.

As far as off the field red flags, anything that might have caused people to question his character happend when he was in high school or after dropping out. Since being given a chance to play football again at the JuCo level he has been nothing short of a model citizen. He studies as hard as he plays, he reaches out to the community to help at hospitals and speak with under privileged children trying to inspire them to work hard at their dreams and not take the easy way out. He genuinely appreciates the second chance at life that he has been given and is working as hard as anyone to make sure he stays the right course. I've gotten a number of times to meet this young man and everything I hear from him and read in his body language shows me that he has changed everything in his life since he was living on the streets committing robberies. For the last 4 years he has kept his nose clean and stayed out of trouble in regards to anything major. Yes this last St. Patty's day he got into trouble when he knocked a Jimmy Johns sign off a delivery car. He had the chance to leave the scene at the recommendation of the employees but he wanted to stick around and wait for the police so he would be able to make things right and pay for any damages. That is why the story picked up any new coverage, because he stuck around and police were called, he didn't get arrested and the charges were dropped the same night. This is what happened directly from a friend of mine who was working there that night and saw everything that happened. (The police were called by a manager inside who only saw his sign broken and laying on the sidewalk before calling the police. Once he went outside and found out from an employee the person who had done it had already offered to pay to get it replaced or fixed it was too late for the police to be called back. Bruce never used who he was as a method of trying to get out of it, he made a mistake and offered compensation to fix it and stuck around so the police could fill out their report. Why and how it got blown up into what it did is beyond me, I guess there's always someone trying to bring you down.)

WVU is going to miss having BRUUUUUUCCCCEEEEEEEEEE in Blue and Gold, but we all are very proud of where he is and how he got there. Give this guy a chance and he wont let you down. He feeds off the fans so I see him being a great fit in Seattle. Congratulations and good luck this year guys, you have a few more Eastern fans then you did 24 hours ago.

Reaction score
I wasn't excited about the pick like many of you guys, but the more I read about Bruce Irvin the more I like him. On top of that, a league source has said that at least 7 teams had him as a top 15 player.

Reaction score
People put too much stock into what Kiper and Mcshay say. This is exactly what Carroll and Schneider do, take a player with a unique skillset and find a way to make him succesfull.

Cano51

Huddler
Reaction score
stayed up all night for this...

2nd year in a row we get the biggest reach of the 1st round. I understand Kiper or the other draft experts are only tv guys, but the 31 other teams seem to follow the same board as those "experts". And cant say carpenter is a hit so far

hope he ll be an opponent qb nightmare

guess nike ppl were pissed their new hot jersey didnt come up on stage :)

Reaction score
stayed up all night for this...

2nd year in a row we get the biggest reach of the 1st round. I understand Kiper or the other draft experts are only tv guys, but the 31 other teams seem to follow the same board as those "experts". And cant say carpenter is a hit so far

hope he ll be an opponent qb nightmare

guess nike ppl were pissed their new hot jersey didnt come up on stage :)
TE Coby Fleener, LB Courtney Upshaw, DT Devon Still, WR Reuben Randle, WR Stephen Hill and OG Cordy Glenn will be in the green room tomorrow. I doubt the Hawks pick any of them, but there's still a chance.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Im all in on this, we need pass rush we got the best. The more I watch his interviews, the more I like the dude.
He even RT'd me! No biggie just wanted to welcome him to hawks nation.

You know how loud home games are, how good this defense is getting. Just imagine when we get in 3rd and 10 passing down, with the crowd, and our defense, and this young mans speed, BI getting one step on a OT is like putting him in the back field. The potential is exciting, he just now needs to learn how to become a pro.

Reaction score
Im all in on this, we need pass rush we got the best. The more I watch his interviews, the more I like the dude.
He even RT'd me! No biggie just wanted to welcome him to hawks nation.

You know how loud home games are, how good this defense is getting. Just imagine when we get in 3rd and 10 passing down, with the crowd, and our defense, and this young mans speed, BI getting one step on a OT is like putting him in the back field. The potential is exciting, he just now needs to learn how to become a pro.

I started a twitter account just for the draft, Paul Allen was posting all the insider info before all the insiders lol. I'm following Irvin now, which RT was you?

osprey3263

Huddler
Reaction score
this is an idiot pick. pete carroll still thinks and acts like he's coaching a bunch of college kids at USC and if this high risk gamble does not work out and Carroll and Schneider have another 7 and 9 year for the third time in a row Paul Allen will be showing Carroll and Schneider the door out of seattle.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I like the fact that he uses real sentences on Twitter... haha.

I'm not sure how you can watch that highlight video that szat posted and NOT be at least intrigued.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Well if he was " our guy " and we got him then more power to us. Pure pass rushers are very valuable , but most will ask if a situational player is a wise choice with a first round pick ?

Walddo

Huddler
Reaction score
I can Understand it sounding crazy to draft a situational guy in the first round, but I was listening to ESPN radio here in Orlando, and some analyst was talking about teams that draft from the inside out and then teams that draft from the outside in. The analyst was stating that not many teams draft from the inside out, meaning they draft for a certain job or skillset and get the best guy to do that. One team he mentioned that does that is the NY Giants. Some might say passing on James and getting a RB that was lower on the board was a reach with their 1st round pick, but they stick to this method. I really feel like this is what our GM and Coach are trying to accomplish, and if that is the case, this was the best possible pick, PLUS getting 2 more picks out of the trade. I am very happy with that.

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
When I opened my computer this morning to see who they picked, there certainly was a WTF moment. Ingram, Upshaw and Coples were all available and it seemed a certainty that one of them will be the pick... But now that I know more about BI, it does not seem so bad anymore. Third down pass rush is a huge need and Irvin is a beast. Lets hope it pans out well.

The hawk blogger says that
Mike Mayock, Rob Rang, Todd McShay all describe Irvin as the best pure-pass rusher in the draft.

And Upshaw might still be available today. Hopefully will see a running back added too today. (Polk!) We are also a little thin on fullback and Tight End.

Reaction score
Irvin did a really good interview with Mitch Levy this morning. I would post the link but my work comp blocks the KJR site : /

Funny kid. Smart. Def from the hood, but articulate. He kind of reminds me of Marshawn.

Reaction score
Irvin 4.43 40 at the Combine... 245LB of pure muscle hitting you at 22MPH... not a scientist or anything, but I would imagine that would be a lot of force....

LaceyBALL3R360

Huddler
Reaction score
honestly i was pretty pissed when we passed on coples...for weeks now i have been hoping that he would fall to us and then to see it happen and us pass on him made me so pissed. after finding more out about him i have been coming around though. i really just thought we needed a pass rusher that could help out clemens so bad. i just really hope that pete and john know what the hell there doing because too pass up on a guy like coples could be a make or break move.

Top Bottom