• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SEAHAWKS 2011 DRAFT - Rnd 3, Pick 11 (75): John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin

Reaction score
2495204.jpg

John Moffitt (OG)
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 319 lbs.
Arm Length: 33 in.
Hand Size: 9 1/2 in.
College: Wisconsin
Conference: Big 10

OVERVIEW
Moffitt was an integral part of a dominant offensive line for the Badgers in 2010. He looks the part of an NFL guard with a great frame and a thick lower half. He displays very good football intelligence and understands blocking schemes. However, he lacks the strength and overall athleticism to be effective at the next level against faster and stronger athletes. He loses leverage off the line and struggles to generate a good push at the point of attack. Moffitt also lacks a killer instinct and sometimes looks defeated on film in tough games. Despite these concerns, Moffitt has a great frame and potential to develop and he should get his name called in the later rounds.

STRENGTHS
Moffitt is tall and well built with adequate speed. Heady player that recognizes stunts and blitzes quickly to thwart the pass rush. Athletic enough to pull and trap and takes good angles at linebackers in the second level. Very productive leading a great running attack at Wisconsin.

WEAKNESSES
Lacks explosion off the ball and struggles to make blocks against athletic defensive lineman. Plays too high and is not a powerful drive blocker despite his size. Lunges at times making him susceptible to double moves. Does not look comfortable blocking in a zone scheme. Does not show a mean streak.

PICK ANALYSIS
Pete Carroll wants to showcase a punishing ground attack, but he lacked the interior presence to execute the tactic a season ago. However, the addition of Moffitt gives the offense a rugged interior blocker with the strength and power to move defenders off the point. He will compete immediately for playing time at one of their guard spots.

COMBINE STATS
40 Yard Dash: 5.55
Bench Press: 23 Reps
Vertical Jump: 30.5 in.
Broad Jump: 102 in.
3 Con Drill: 7.79
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.53

HIGHLIGHTS

Player overview, strengths, weaknesses, pick analysis, stats, information and picture from NFL.com

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
Love this pick! They arent kidding about getting the OL right. It is looking pretty nice right about now. Lets run the ball!

mark

Huddler
Reaction score
i am not so sure both players were expected to go in the later rounds, and both have issues i like the fact that pete is working on the OL though. sitting here watchin the draft its funny and its typical that the announcers dont have much to say regarding seattles picks. sure hope they aint a waste! i dont like using up our early pics on guys that as i said should have gone later

PacWest

Huddler
Reaction score
I am thrilled with what is taking place so far early in this draft. We spend so much time talking about offensive weapons that we need, but I think we all realize the need for youth and longevity in the O-Line is the foundation and base of our offense. Once the base is in place, then the weapons make more sense overall.

;)

Reaction score
A better O-Line makes it easier to see wheat we've already got... I think Tate and Butler have big play ability.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
A better O-Line makes it easier to see wheat we've already got... I think Tate and Butler have big play ability.
It makes a lot of things easier. If we can't get Hasselbeck re-signed, then a better line will help Whitehurst out a lot. Not only will it give him more time to throw, but it will bring life to the run game which helps him out as well.

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Reaction score
The best player available (according to Kiper) is a CB. We have the 2nd pick in the morning, so maybe we go that way.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
The best player available (according to Kiper) is a CB. We have the 2nd pick in the morning, so maybe we go that way.

Yep. I say the 3 best available players left are Brandon Burton (CB), Davon House (CB), and Sam Acho (DE/Leo type of player)

kdawg2980

Huddler
Reaction score
Okay guys I have a poll up on my blog on what you think of the draft. What grade would you give? I'm giving them a C grade. Like going O-line but at the end of the day think we reached too much.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Good pick here, Moffit is a solid run blocker, really him and Carimi headed up that great run offense for Wisconsin. He reminds me of Unger, a good size, heady, OG with road paving ability but also can pull and get to the second level. I like the approach, getting a durable line all around the same age, these guys hopefully be cohesive unit for many years to come.
Okung - Moffit - Unger - Willis? - Carpenter

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
And Gallery is not the best at poss protection. I think Gallery is probably better than Spencer, but I do not think it is like comparing Kyle Williams with Walter Jones or something along those lines.

Top Bottom